Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:34:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: More figure help needed (this time West Wind)  (Read 5262 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
More figure help needed (this time West Wind)
« on: March 07, 2010, 01:13:52 PM »
I'm considering purchasing some West Wind minis - the Zendarians with rifles and the Zendarian Vampire hunters.

Does anyone know... whether the other figs in the rifle box are two the same as those illustrated; what the other figs in the Vampire Hunters box are; and how well these minis scale with Ironclad and Artizan minis (which is what most of my Victorian-era minis are)?

Thanks very much for any useful information (or indeed useless information)!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:16:06 PM by Red Orc »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: More figure help needed (this time West Wind)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 01:37:33 PM »
Is Zendarian Vampire Hunters the same pack as Zendarian Vampire Slayers? I have the slayers pack.

The slayers pack has a chap with a cape, burning torch and sword.
Fellow with burning torch and sword and no cape.
Fellow who looks like Archduke Franz Ferdinand (splendid moustache and big square head) waving a sword above his head (I bought the pack to get this figure).
Last one is a chap with a monocle, mustache and mutton-chops, lunging forward with his sword in a formal fencing-type way, with one hand behind his back. All are in military uniforms.

I'll see if I can dig out an Artizan figure and take a photo of them all together if you like.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 01:51:44 PM »
Here they are, standing on either side of the Artizan Lawrence of Arabia:

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 04:36:48 PM »
Is Zendarian Vampire Hunters the same pack as Zendarian Vampire Slayers? I have the slayers pack...

Just gone back to check and you're quite right, they are indeed Slayers, sorry and thanks. Thanks for posting the comparison pic too, all I've seen are the 2nd and 5th figs you show. Looks like size shouldn't be a problem unless your Lawrence is a lot taller than other Artizan figs (and why would he be?).

Skrapwelder, thanks for that too - again they only show nos 2&3 on the website.

You both win awards for being terribly helpful, sadly those rewards are entirely non-physical. But you have my gratitiude, and possibly the people at West Wind's too, as I'm certain to put an order in with them now!

In other news, any suggestions for a figure that will match the Zendarian rifleman, that isn't a Zendarian rifleman? Potentailly having 8 riflemen, and a choice of officers for them (from the Vampire Slayers pack, I'm sure even I can add a pistol to one of them), I'm finding myself in need of an NCO type, also armed with a rifle...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 05:02:48 PM »
Sorry for being picky, just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing.  :)

Looks like size shouldn't be a problem unless your Lawrence is a lot taller than other Artizan figs (and why would he be?).

Really he should be smaller than everyone else - Lawrence was a bit of a short-arse as I recall. But they've modelled him more on Peter O'Toole in the film, and he matches the other Artizan figs I have for height.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 08:26:30 PM »
Sorry for being picky, just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing.  :)

Absolutely, better safe than sorry. No point you telling me about one thing if I'm really looking for something else, and if I've got it wrong, I need to know before I try to find them and end up cursing the manufacturer because they don't make the thing I only thought existed in the first place.

Really he should be smaller than everyone else - Lawrence was a bit of a short-arse as I recall. But they've modelled him more on Peter O'Toole in the film, and he matches the other Artizan figs I have for height.

Yeah, I recognised him from the film. He looks shorter in real life, I'd swear he's only about an inch tall in that photo  ;)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 08:34:02 PM »
It is also worth looking for Foundry Franco Prussian figures, When I did Vampire Hunters I used them with the ones Poly posted and they work a treat

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 08:44:24 PM »
Poly?

Plynkes?

Skrapwelder?

Err..

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 08:53:30 PM »
Poly?

Plynkes?

Skrapwelder?

Err..

Poly-plynkes :D

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 09:12:10 PM »
Plynkes is a contraction of Polynikes, which used to be my nickname on another forum.

Once some chap referred to me in a post as "Plynkes" in either a fit of teenage textese or an attack of appalling bad spelling. I quite liked the name, it seemed like it might be the surname of a Seventeenth Century adventurer/ne'er do well, so immediately adopted the Nom de Net of Carlos Guido Plynkes, and dumped Polynikes in the nearest dustbin.

Some folks still call me Poly.  :)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 09:14:31 PM »
In other news, any suggestions for a figure that will match the Zendarian rifleman, that isn't a Zendarian rifleman? Potentailly having 8 riflemen, and a choice of officers for them (from the Vampire Slayers pack, I'm sure even I can add a pistol to one of them), I'm finding myself in need of an NCO type, also armed with a rifle...

I also have some few zendarians myself. Those westwind ones, but in order to increase the size of my army, I have some foundry, too. In fact lots of Foundry, ah, and a couple of Parroom station evil Prussians. I also purchased some Eureka prussians (incl. those with rockets), but not yet painted. The few that are already painted are following the scheme used for zendarians in the WW site.As for some opposition (but can be used at a later stage as allies,too) I painted some FP from Foundry in green . As soon as I finish with this project I think I will go on with some Helion figures:  

I would recommend to check the Helion prussian infantry and uhlans, they are lovely figures with lots of variants. I have seen some samples only and I have not tested them against foundry and ww as for size. I think the fit well.

Here's a link for helion co:
 http://www.wargames.helion.co.uk/
argsilverson