Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:54:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 728
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

Nukes, Knives and Sharp Sticks (Westfalia Chris) vs. Skeleton Court Martial (Tacgnol)

Nukes, Knives and Sharp Sticks (Westfalia Chris)
247 (92.2%)
Skeleton Court Martial (Tacgnol)
21 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 265

Voting closed: March 14, 2010, 11:04:17 PM

Author Topic: Round 3 - Nukes, Knives and Sharp Sticks vs. Skeleton Court Martial  (Read 6999 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond

Offline Andy0476

• Scientist
    • Creepy Corridor
Re: Round 3 - Nukes, Knives and Sharp Sticks vs. Skeleton Court Martial
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 08:56:45 AM »
That 's a cool armoured car !  :o
25-28mm Pulp / 40K / Babylon 5 : ACTA / Full Thrust / Boardgames / 28mm WWII / Mordheim

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:27:30 AM »

Cool!

Where do the figures from the first entry come from?

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:30:49 AM »
Woodbine Design Company/Gripping Beast: http://www.grippingbeast.com/shop.php?CatID=300
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 12:34:25 PM »
Maybe this is an odd thing to catch my eye, but that's a really cool title font in the "Nukes, Knives..." entry.  And a great armored car, too.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:18:10 PM »
Thanks guys! The M-577 APC is scratchbuilt from polystyrene plastic and various woods, in 1/55th scale (based on the line drawings in the Colonial Marines Technical Manual, but slightly modified to suit my taste).

I'll add it to my Predator thread (and change that one into a general AvP thread) next week, with some unpainted shots to show the construction, plus some more angles.

Quote from: Alxbates
Maybe this is an odd thing to catch my eye, but that's a really cool title font in the "Nukes, Knives..." entry.

Alex, the font is called "Alien League" and can be downloaded for free here.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:21:42 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 10:21:29 AM »
The M-577 APC is scratchbuilt

Nice.  It looks like a store bought kit in the shot.  Thats some great work.

Of course it being great work based on one of the formative films of our youth kicks it up another notch :)

I'll add it to my Predator thread (and change that one into a general AvP thread) next week, with some unpainted shots to show the construction, plus some more angles.

I am very much looking forward to that :)

The proportions on those Gripping Beast figures are a little exaggerated to my eye, even though I still like them.  Can anyone point me to some shots of them alongside some other manufacturers figures?  Alongside the Hasslefree Signee and/or Billie would be super sweet  :D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:24:14 AM by cheetor »

Offline kingpin

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 11:06:31 AM »
great work on the APC

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 11:44:36 AM »
The proportions on those Gripping Beast figures are a little exaggerated to my eye, even though I still like them.  Can anyone point me to some shots of them alongside some other manufacturers figures?  Alongside the Hasslefree Signee and/or Billie would be super sweet  :D

The Woodbine figures are indeed a mixed batch. Generally, the facial features are not that good. On the other hand, the armour and equipment of the Colonial Marines is almost spot on (I particularly like the helmets, and the rifles are realistically sized). The faces are most of problematic with the female characters - the "Not-Ripley" has got a square jaw like an East German female shotputter, which I filed down and tried to tone down with low skin contrast.

Overall, the figures are best described as "stocky" 28mm. I also bought the Signee figure at Vapnartak and am currently painting it. A strange pose, but an excellent likeness (the hair is great). I'll do a comparison shot next week.

All that criticism aside, I really, really like the Marines. Apart from the Denizen Mid-Tech, I'd say these are the most faithful I've seen so far. Additionally, they are not as "scale-creepy" like other modern figure lines. I don't think they'll really work next to Copplestone human figures, but older Grenadier ones could be OK - as said, I'll do some better shots next week. :)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 12:35:44 PM »
I particularly like the helmets

Definitely.  I have been picking up some figures for an Aliens projects for a few years and the best figures that I saw still dont have the really recognisable "Aliens" look that the Gripping Beast stuff has.  Yet another thing to add to the shopping list.

the "Not-Ripley" has got a square jaw like an East German female shotputter

lol

Its a pity considering that she is the most important figure in the set.  Hasslefree Signee and Billie for that matter are great figures (apart from Signees slightly weird stance) so all is not lost, assuming that they dont look too weird alongside the rest of the Gripping Beast guys.

I am going to have to get that Gripping Beast stuff, probably in 2011 at this rate...

I'll do a comparison shot next week

Awesome, thanks :D

they are not as "scale-creepy" like other modern figure lines. I don't think they'll really work next to Copplestone human figures

Which on the other hand means that they should look nice and short compared to the (to my mind) a little-bit-too-small Copplestone not-Predators, which is ideal.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 01:10:09 PM »
the "Not-Ripley" has got a square jaw like an East German female shotputter

lol

Its a pity considering that she is the most important figure in the set.

Yes, I agree. Amusingly, the style works really well for the "Not-Carter Burke" - the mini looks positively shifty and scheming, yet stunty in a "Paul Reiser" way.

Hasslefree Signee and Billie for that matter are great figures (apart from Signees slightly weird stance) so all is not lost, assuming that they dont look too weird alongside the rest of the Gripping Beast guys.

I can say now that the size difference isn't that bad, but the very dynamic Hasslefree-style posing sets the Signee model apart from the more "traditional" (i.e. static, but not in a bad way) style of the GB/Woodbine figs.

I'd really like to see the sculptor do a "Not-Powerloader". I think his style would work great on such a piece.

they are not as "scale-creepy" like other modern figure lines. I don't think they'll really work next to Copplestone human figures

Which on the other hand means that they should look nice and short compared to the (to my mind) a little-bit-too-small Copplestone not-Predators, which is ideal.

That is another reason why I picked them. They work really well size-wise with my various Predators, and style-wise with the ERM Aliens I also purchased at Vapnartak. I don't think they'd look that good combined with Heroclix Aliens (I don't own any of these, but the pics I've seen suggest a rather singular style).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:14:06 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 10:47:17 PM »
@ Westfalia Chris

Great work on the APC, it's fantastic  :-*
I have the one from Leading Edge, and also on from Action Fleet, but yours is the winner ;)

I also have some of the Leading Edge Marines, but the Gripping Beast ones are far better.
They have the best Armour compared to the Movie, but I don't like the faces...

The best Marines I ever saw are from Phebus Creations, but in 1:35...

But none the less, well done Sir