Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:46:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: I think im getting the hang of roleplaying...  (Read 5052 times)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Re: I think im getting the hang of roleplaying...
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 02:22:48 AM »
Role playing can be a steep learning curve can't it. I'll never forget my first time when I was invited to play The Schoolmaster and the Naughty Schoolgirl. I searched high and low for a school uniform that would fit only to discover that..................

Oh sorry, slightly different game.  :D
'

Pics?

:D

We have a GREAT Star Wars RPG Game Keeper.  Not all blasters and light sabres, a lot of atmosphere and intrigue.  Always makes us do a lot of CoC type investigating and inquiring with surly bartenders,   local officials, creepy aliens and such.  You have to be a real story teller, IMO.

I personally, as a player, like to play characters that I  think (or. more realistically:    "Like to think"  :? ) represent me.  (of course, that leads to a  character that issome  combination Indiana Jones, Evelyn Wood (phenominal ability to withstand injury) William F. Buckley (big brain)  and the Man with No Name  ::)   

It's the duty of  Good Gamekeepers to keep me in line .   lol
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 02:30:16 AM »
Since you asked....

http://www.fancydressclothes.co.uk/Fat-Schoolgirl.jpg

You must admit, I've still got the legs for it. :D
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 03:44:32 AM »
LOL!   I was kidding!

But, since I clicked on it, I will say that it was better than clicking on a pic of Zardoz.  (slightly better, ever so slightly better!)   lol

Uh, BTW, you wouldn't have any pics of you in a Miami Hurricanes Cheerleading uniform?  (Not for me, it's for a friend, I mean, I just wanted to see wht the new uniforms look like, I ..ummm   ::)  )

:D

I have a strange "Lane Bryant" adventure, I'll tell you about some day. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:44:04 PM by Smokeyrone »

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 03:59:12 PM »
Cheers for the response guys.
Now if im not mistaking its similar for DnD you role a D20? And that is what you judge sucess off?

Ill get gaming with CoC Soon

Steve

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 05:59:57 PM »
Spot on. In the case of the BRP rules, its D% and to succeed in a task you have to roll under your current score in the skill in question. At the end of a session, you roll on the skill and if you roll higher than your current skill rating, you improve the skill.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 08:49:11 PM »
Cheers for the response guys.
Now if im not mistaking its similar for DnD you role a D20? And that is what you judge sucess off?

Ill get gaming with CoC Soon

Steve

Got  scenarios in mind?  What is your "pet" Cthulhu  monster interest?

(Mine, for example, is the Deep Ones, Always loved them)

Are you gonna use minis and terrain?  Some say it takes away frfom the "atmosphere", and they have a point.  I say: "Terrain!  Must have terrain!  If it takes away a bit of atmosphere, it adds in other areas!"

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 05:06:08 PM »
No figures no terrain just good old Rp'ing

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 12:24:47 AM »
Terrain allows the GM to make players commit to Where they are when the stuff hits the fan... even a paper floor map done with grease pencil keeps everyone from clamouring that they were first in, OH...ITS A Horrific MONSTER... "I was Outside the door..." Dont know how many times I had that occur until I used floor plans or later terrain. Players got a lot more careful and paid more attention also. I really do not like character to die to monsters, though it has happened, rather I sit back and listen to the players figure out what to do with the horribly injured party member   >:D
Enjoying a character in your game? Reward him with a bit of sanity gain after slaying something icky... let him ride the edge of insanity for awhile! Pass him notes while hes no quiet all there with things to impart to the others, who will wonder if its on the level or...

I love CoC :)
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline ZenWired

• Librarian
    • A Rust Monster Ate My Sword
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 03:17:22 PM »
Terrain allows the GM to make players commit to Where they are when the stuff hits the fan...

On  the other hand, terrain detracts from the immersion of the game and can take a game from the "sharing a creepy horror story" vibe to the "I move my mini over here" vibe. I've long-since decided to leave the minis on their shelves for this reason when playing CoC or other horror RPG's.

I have had players attempt to pull what you mention. ("I'm outside the room" or "I didn't get out of the car with everyone else" or the like.) My simple response being: "When the others declared they were entering the room you didn't say you weren't going with them." My players learned that if they're going to do something different than their comrades, they have to be clear about it - silence indicates agreement to the party's actions.

I love CoC :)

Agreed!  :D
My RPG blog: A Rust Monster Ate My Sword
My miniatures gaming blog: A Hard Won Thing

"You fool, Warren is DEAD!"