Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:58:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Post-war French  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Pentaro

• Scientist
Post-war French
« on: March 08, 2010, 07:16:52 PM »
I'm slowly painting a small WW1 French unit, and I was wondering if I could use them in any other scenarios, just like Vercel's "Capitaine Conan" fighting the (Romanian?) bolsheviks right after the war. Are my blue-clad poilus still useful after 1918? What should I read after I finish all the WW1 stuff? Thanks in advance.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Re: Post-war French
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 07:20:47 PM »
There were certainly French troops involved in the Intervention between 1918-20, mostly in the south I think near Odessa, but I have a feeling there were some in the north as well. No idea what sort of kit they were fighting in though. Maybe ask over on the Back of Beyond board and see if anyone there knows?

Online Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:21:17 PM »
You could use them for the occupation of the Ruhr Area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupation_of_the_Ruhr), which could be used for some what-if scenarios.

Offline Pentaro

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 09:34:54 AM »
You could use them for the occupation of the Ruhr Area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupation_of_the_Ruhr), which could be used for some what-if scenarios.

Sure, that would make a good scenario for a small game like Flying Lead, or perhaps I could modify the Irish scenarios from Mud & Blood. And I guess that RCW is the way to go. I'm not too picky about uniforms, anyway. Thanks for the ideas.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 11:13:53 AM »
Indeed French were in Odessa fighting against bolsheviks!

Some in blues (horizon blue) but mostly in khaki dress!
There were also several armies or just army units dressed in French, like greeks (in Macedonian front of WW1 you can find them in complete french kit -horizont blue- later in Odessa and in Asia Minor campaign they carried the french adrian helmet, but the kit and uniform cut was different), Armenians also in full french kit even romanians. So, you only need to replace the flags!

In interwar French saw servicde in other minor conflicts like some wars/battles in Africa and Sahara, or they showed action in Middle East (Syria) and possible or surely in Indochina. Though now they are in khakis, but if you are not too picky with uniforms then you need to paint some opponents only.
argsilverson

Offline Pentaro

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 10:26:15 PM »
There were also several armies or just army units dressed in French

Some Czechs perhaps? I'm happy to see that my French are so versatile. What would be a good read about the interventionists at Odessa?

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 11:00:04 PM »
Some Czechs perhaps? I'm happy to see that my French are so versatile.

Not Czechs in Russia.

What would be a good read about the interventionists at Odessa?

The book I wrote about it, perhaps?  :D

http://www.pygmywars.com/sources/adverts/odessa.html

Otherwise to read about the actual fighting around Odessa (as opposed to the politics) you need to read non-English sources (Greek, Russian and French).

I have a French book about the French fighting in Syria. Seems serious enough.

"Capitaine Conan" fighting the (Romanian?) bolsheviks

Russian Bolsheviks. The Romanians seized Bessarabia and faced off the Russians over the Dnestr. The French also manned the line for a while. (This is one reason why modern Moldova got split off from the Ukraine/Russia.)

Movie synopses on this tend to get a bit confused. My book also gives a bit of explanation and detail about this, since it was very closely tied with the Odessa intervention.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 01:33:16 AM by Mark Plant »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 01:18:14 AM »
Actually yes to Czechs, the French and Italian Legions moved directly to Czechoslovakia after the end of the great war and fought against Polish forces from the north and Hungarian communist from the south. and they used there old kit and uniforms. Think Frikorp in French kit
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 01:41:23 AM »
I've changed my post to be "Not Czechs in Russia" to be more precise.

The fighting of the Czechs against Poles and Soviet Hungarians was pretty minor. Some sources make them more paper wars than real ones.

If I had French in blue I would be using them as Poles, not against them. There where whole divisions in Blue (Haller's Army) in the Polish armies from mid-1919 to 1920.