Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:24:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689673
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gaslight rules  (Read 9940 times)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
Re: Gaslight rules
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 11:19:55 AM »
The shotgun rules in standard gaslight confused the hell out of me for quite a while. Working out who got hit took me a while to get straight in my head.

I'm with you on that one. The first time I played the rules I got it wrong and it was carnage!
Don't!

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
    • http://z11.invisionfree.com/Kashindan/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 12:01:14 PM »
I'm with you on that one. The first time I played the rules I got it wrong and it was carnage!

Yeah they do have a very odd way of explaining things but its one of those sets that once you get it you go oh right...

Become who you really are... [/i]

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 08:23:50 PM »
Gaslight is very adaptible to house rules and combinations with other sets of rules.  I use Gaslight combat rules with Space 1889 characters and it works well.  If you want to stay strickly with Gaslight the site below will give lots of ideas:

http://www.freewebs.com/vsfwargaming/index.htm

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 08:08:10 AM »
I have Gaslight and Battles by Gaslight. I have only played Battles by Gaslight as we prefer larger battles and had heaps of stuff ready when we got the rules.

Gaslight lets you create all manner of vehicles units, creatures etc.
We had a arms race as we got carried away scratch building leviathans and flyers. I prefer creating my own VSF world but other people prefer systems like Valor Steel and Flesh where there is a ready made back story to the game.

Gaslight can be a bit of a muddle at first. Some of the mechanics are unfamiliar e.g rolling d20s instead of d6 or d10 and rolling low is better than rolling high. The rules could be set out better but most issues are resolved by using a rule sumary sheet with the important tables. The Gaslight Yahoo group has summary sheets you can download.

The forthcoming Compendium rules will bring all the books together in one volume and will include more rules for aerials and large aeronef style battles. Hopefully the rules will get a good once over and get set out better with an index to aid finding things.

Battles by Gaslight is a quicker game as casualty removal and vehicle damage are simplified. One house rule we employ is allowing a unit to both shoot and move in a turn.

This speeds up the game and make it less defensive.

Cheers

Fuzzy

Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 08:22:16 AM »
Yeah they do have a very odd way of explaining things but its one of those sets that once you get it you go oh right...

Yeah, I have similar experiences with some of Alternative's games. It would make perfect sense if spoken to you by the writer, but in written form it can be hard to comprehend.

I just got GASLIGHT in the post and it looks alright, gotta read it properly yet though!  :)

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 10:07:47 AM »
Gaslight is very adaptible to house rules and combinations with other sets of rules.  I use Gaslight combat rules with Space 1889 characters and it works well.  If you want to stay strickly with Gaslight the site below will give lots of ideas:

Yes very nice site Lazy_Dragon told me about the site and i have gained a few bits from there..

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 10:09:35 AM »
I just got GASLIGHT in the post and it looks alright, gotta read it properly yet though!  :)
Where and when did you order them from?
I am still waitng on mine, ordered at the bigining of the month.

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 10:11:41 AM »
The other element to really add confusion till you get it is the cards for activation..

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 11:48:01 AM »
Valor Steel and Flesh

I have both Gaslight (Core and Battles) and VS&F. The fluff can be ignored, both systems have good, solid core rules.  Having played both I'm leaning a little towards VS&F at the moment, though I do like the additional hit points idea from To Be Continued.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 12:09:58 PM »

I recognise that site!  :o
Its one I wrote up the other year, then lost interest in VSF and drifted away from. o_o
With my resurging interest in VSF due to the Atlantis campaign, I really ought to see about resurrecting it (or atleast finishing it off/neating it up)....
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Whiskyrat

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 01:01:30 PM »
Yes you should - especially as you have new photos.  ;)

Not sure if I should thank you about the link to Crowfeathers though - I find myself thinking about repurposing my Artizan/Dixon cowboys and VSF for Deadlands. Of course this means I'll have to buy a few ACW troops and some indians.  :D

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 01:20:44 PM »
 :D
Ah, Crowfeathers - it did EXACTLY the same thing to me! You know I'm pretty much ready to roll with any old west/deadlands type project , so if you don't resist, atleast you'll have someone to play against! 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:22:38 PM by v_lazy_dragon »

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
I recognise that site!  :o
Its one I wrote up the other year, then lost interest in VSF and drifted away from. o_o
With my resurging interest in VSF due to the Atlantis campaign, I really ought to see about resurrecting it (or atleast finishing it off/neating it up)....

Yes about time you got back on the trail chap ;)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 04:39:56 PM »
Where and when did you order them from?
I am still waitng on mine, ordered at the bigining of the month.

Ahhh, the KEEP, but of course. The one place one goes to when looking for rules!

Ebay dear boy. Ebay.  ;)

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 10:59:05 PM »
The forthcoming Compendium rules will bring all the books together in one volume and will include more rules for aerials and large aeronef style battles. Hopefully the rules will get a good once over and get set out better with an index to aid finding things.

Do you happen to have an idea when this will be released? :)

Cheers
Christopher