Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:49:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Battle for Neu- Brandenburg  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Whiskyrat

• Mad Scientist
The Battle for Neu- Brandenburg
« on: March 10, 2010, 01:05:44 AM »
+++++ TOP SECRET - HIGHEST PRIORITY ++++ Intercepted coded signal to CSA Missouri STOP Message reads ++ Proceed to New Atlanta at best possible speed ++STOP++ Non-friendly forces believed to be en-route to Atlantis ++STOP++ Secure New Atlanta and return Agent Pinkerton to Richmond for de-briefing ++STOP++End of coded message STOP  Pinkerton holds key to Etherium discovery STOP Imperative that Geology document is recovered STOP Good Hunting Willie STOP Der Geheime Händedruck ++++ STOP ++++

Hauptmann Hans Innsdepokketts looked up from the slip of paper.
“We follow the Americans to Atlantis, Herr Oberst?”
 “Naturlich Hans. Send messages to SMS Woden and Professor S.Neek. Then make ready Mjollnir and Rollendonner.” replied Oberst Wilhelm “Willie” Bebach. “We leave at dawn.”

And so the mighty Prussian war machine was set in motion …..

As dawn broke on the 6th of March, the Prussian 3rd Neu-Marine Expeditionary Force made landfall without encountering resistance. The diversionary skirmishes with the British Aeronef fleet in recent weeks had clearly drawn all attention elsewhere.

+++ The following pictures were taken by Aerialtruppen 2nd Class Dieter Duche ++++

Landship Mjollnir crashes onto the beach. In the foreground SMS Woden disgorges it’s cargo of line troops, Brandenburg Maschinen Werke Mk.1 Klankentruppen and their controller Herr Docktor Professor Heinrich Kopf-Hertz . In the far distance an Impervious Suit, a detachment of Colonial Marines and a Brandenburg Maschinen Werke Flammen Spaziergänger make their way towards the settlement of New Atlanta.

The forces of Professor S.Neek make landfall supported by Landship Rollendonner, a second Brandenburg Maschinen Werke Flammen Spaziergänger,  the 1st Jager datchment and two Maxim machine gun sections.

The Americans make ready their defences as a ‘Lafayette’ naval assault gun rumbles down Main Street.

Seizing the initiative the 3rd Neu-Marine Expeditionary Force storm forward as the weapons of the CSA troops fail to penetrate the superior armour of the Flammen Spaziergänger.

The ‘Lafayette’ naval assault gunner’s calculations are proven to be inaccurate as its opening barrage falls far out to sea.

In response, a salvo from Beatrice seals the fate of the “Southern Belle” as a gout of flame shoots forward and sets the nearby woodland on fire.

The CSA Missouri, its rotors failing (obviously due to inferior American workmanship) drifts leisurely to the ground – where it is immediately boarded by Professor S.Neek’s Spiderklank.

From a nearby temple, local savages come to investigate as the opening salvos split the air.

A small-bore cannonball fails to penetrate the armoured hull of Landship Mjollnir and it’s detachment of line troops quickly disembark.

The local savages press forward and the 2nd Jager detachment engage the savage’s aerial-cavalry. Our intelligence proves to be correct and although they are difficult targets, their armour is inferior to the skilled marksmanship of the Jagers - as a mount and rider are dispatched.

Throwing caution to the wind, the Landship Rollendonner fires up its furnaces, builds up a full head of steam and prepares to ram the “Rose of Texas”.

Meanwhile, the CSA Missouri manages to restart its rotors and in a desperate move it rams Beatrice. The resulting damage although insignificant, causes the two machines to be entangled. Despite the attempts of her brave crew, the Beatrice is unable to break free and continue her advance on New Atlanta.

This small victory lends cheer to the hearts of the American leaders and they vigorously engage our forces on all fronts.

With nerves of steel, elements of the 3rd Neu-Marine Expeditionary Force push forward towards New Atlanta. Withering fire from the American defenders leads to the death of one of our brave soldiers as his comrades enter the town.

The American rag-tag army sensing defeat in the air, spill on to the streets in a desperate attempt to repel our brave troops.

With a sound like thunder, SMS Woden opens fire on the township, the Assay Office is reduced to matchwood.

The local savage’s aerial-cavalry move to engage our glorious Colonial Marines, but rapid fire from the Colonial Marines causes them to disperse back towards the ranks of the impudent CSA militia, where they are dispatched by the accurate sniping of our Jager marksmen.

The “Rose of Texas” escapes certain destruction as the Landship Rollendonner comes to a shuddering halt, due to a left-handed sprocket flange coupling working loose. Forms A, B and E are swiftly completed by the Captain as his crew struggle to get the Landship operational. The “Rose of Texas” seeing an opportunity prepares to empty its magazine in to the rear of the Landship.

Fortunately, the heavy flamer from the nearby Brandenburg Maschinen Werke Flammen Spaziergänger reduces the “Rose of Texas” to an interesting but quite harmless pile of slag.

On the right flank, the savages in robes are wiped out by the exemplary marksmanship of our Jager troops and in a fit of pique the savages with spears join the ragged remains of the American troops.

The fighting in New Atlanta intensifies and our troops suffer several losses as they take the battle to the upstart Rebel Americans.

Under the heavy exchange of the SMS Woden, Professor S.Neek’s Beatrice and the CSA ‘Lafayette’ naval assault gun, the ground beneath the feet of the Colonial Marines begins to move.

Inspired by our recent losses, the rebel horde renew their efforts - clearing our advance forces from the streets of New Atlanta, while a lucky shot from the ‘Lafayette’ naval assault gun damages the Landship Mjollnir’s forward guns.

Undeterred and pressing their advantage, the Brandenburg Maschinen Werke Flammen Spaziergänger supported by Prussian line troops and Professor S.Neek’s Heavy Steam troops and light-assault troops advance on the American positions.

Meanwhile with a squeal of metal, the Brandenburg Maschinen Werke Mk.1 Klankentruppen finally come to a halt. Herr Docktor Professor Heinrich Kopf-Hertz  suspects that the right-hand differential fly-wheel is out of alignment, although his erstwhile colleague Mustapha Ham-Ah had assured him that the modifications made to the fly-wheel assembly would “perform as required” in the field.

Suddenly the ground beneath the Colonial Marines opens up and disgorges a huge serpent-like creature. Simultaneously, with a cry the savages armed with spears throw themselves in to the fray. In the resulting chaos our Colonial Marines sustain heavy casualties.

Enraged by recent deaths, the crew of the Brandenburg Maschinen Werke Flammen Spaziergänger clear the way for our advancing troops, although an armour piercing round incapacitates the Impervious suit by killing its pilot, who had had up to that point a largely uneventful day.

Note to Herr Docktor M. Benz: It appears that your Impervious suit is not as impervious to salt water as the Flammen Spaziergänger provided by the factories of the Brandenburg Maschinen Werke.

A sudden explosion delivers a telling blow to the CSA forces as a barrage from the twin guns of the SMS Woden puts the large ordinance of the Lafayette’ naval assault gun out of action.

With victory in our grasp the Neu-Marine Expeditionary Force and our allies press forward our advantage.

The rag-tag American forces begin to rally but a well placed “head-shot” from Professor S.Neek’s Kannonklank forces a rout and with Prussian forces pressing them from both sides, the American rebels flee from the field of battle followed by the local savages.

Flanked by his Jager Honour-guard, Oberst Wilhelm “Willie” Bebach lands at the Prussian outpost of Neu- Brandenburg.

/edit - picture added.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 11:28:47 AM by Whiskyrat »

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Re: The Battle for Neu- Brandenburg
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:00:11 AM »
Smashing report Neil! It certainly knocks mine into a cocked hat! (A bit like the prussians did to the CSA!  lol )
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 10:44:17 AM »
Top notch report there. As I said on Dragon's thread - great looking game, looks like you had a blast playing it! And I love all the details from the intercepted communications to the mention of 'diversionary aeronef battles' and the side-notes to Herr Benz. Ecellent and inspiring stuff!

And now I have to start adjusting the campaign maps to account for the spectacular German success on the north-east coast...

PS make sure you both PM me details of heroes 'killed', and you can add info to the 'Glorious Dead' thread as well if you wish (though at the moment probably best to list them as 'Missing in Action').
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 10:46:07 AM by Red Orc »

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:14:38 AM »
Marvellous!! As i said on the previous post, an awesome collection of eye candy. I think I can work where most of the figures are from but who manufactures the Colonial Marines?
Don't!

Offline Whiskyrat

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 11:39:18 AM »

Although the Prussian propaganda machine wouldn't admit it in public, the outcome would have been much closer if the CSA's anti-contraption rifles had managed to penetrate the armour of the 2 Brandenburg Maschinen Werke Flammen Spaziergängers.

@TC - The Colonial Marines are Xanders - I have forgotten the who, but I seem to recall that he mentioned they are now oop.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 01:09:27 PM »
@TC - they were HLBS German Colonial infantry, masquerading as Seetruppen.

@R Orc - No heroic casualties for me (the agent didn't *do* nayhting, so he can hardly be callled heroic!)

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 07:37:21 PM »
Top notch report-really shows those Rebel rabble what well trained troops of the Kaiser are able to do!

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 10:00:49 PM »
Thanks chaps. I'll keep an eye out for them.

Offline Little Pete

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 03:07:51 PM »
Amazing battle report and a great set of different miniatures in there.

I'm pretty sure I saw a GW ork dreadnought, Ramshackle Games Spider Tank and some Warmachine Khador armoured guys but where did the other stuff come from?

Thumbs up   :)

Offline Whiskyrat

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 05:05:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure I saw a GW ork dreadnought, Ramshackle Games Spider Tank and some Warmachine Khador armoured guys but where did the other stuff come from?

Professor S.Neek Mad Science allies - in addition to the Ramshackle Games Spider Tank and the 4x Warmachine Khador Man-O-war, there were 2x large Warmachine Cryx Bonejacks (KannonKlank & SpiderKlank), 2x small Warmachine Cryx Defiler/Deathripper/Nightwretch Bonejacks, 10x Warzone Trenchers and 20x GW Death Korps. I'm sure that Xander can identify the 5 figures with Flame throwers and the basis of Prof. S.Neek's entourage.

Prussian 3rd Neu-Marine Expeditionary Force - 1x GW Killer Kan, 2x Ironclad Steam Walkers, 10x Mage Knight Submarine Golems + GW Empire Steam Tank Engineer, 10x Foundry WW1 Germans, 10x Renegade WW1 German Troops, 20x Renegade WW1 German Jagers, 10x HLBS German Colonial infantry, 10x Over the Wire German Troops, 1x Renegade WW1 German MG + a strangely amusing Eureka miniature , 1x Foundry WW1 German MG and 10x "other" German troops which Xander can better identify.

The sail boats were from Michaels Craft Store ($5 incl S&H a few years back), Mjollnir and Rollendonner are scratch-builds picked up from eBay.

Atlanteans - 6x Mage Knight Soaring Gunners, 10x Redoubt(?) Sea People, 10x Ironclad Sanwar and a really nice Brown Worm (I did suggest that I take this home - spoils of war and all that. lol)

Xander will be able to give you a run down of the of the long list of CSA bullet stoppers troops he fielded.  :D