Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:20:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Malifaux?  (Read 6880 times)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Malifaux?
« on: March 11, 2010, 06:31:51 PM »
Hello all! Yes, I'm (very) new here, but I'm a long-time lurker.

Although I'm sure all you folks here know of the game Malifaux, produced by Wyrd Miniatures, I'm surprised to have not seen very much of it on these boards - even as proxies for other games.

So, partly for that reason, and partly to celebrate the rarity of my finishing anything from my heap-o-lead, I thought I'd share my first fully finished Malifaux crew with you.
They are of the Guild faction, and fluff-wise work as hired guns for the authorities by hunting down the native daemon-like creatures called Neverborn. This particular crew (the Ortegas) are all of the same family and have a strong Mexican/Wild West theme. Sculpted by the enormously talented Gael Goumon, I've done my best with them: All comments and questions welcome!

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 01:25:40 PM by Major_Gilbear »

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
Re: Malifaux?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 06:35:23 PM »
Welcome to the forums!!!!
And very nice models mate a real joy.

How is that game im interested at least.

Steve

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:58:53 PM »
I have a couple of crews and am trying to finish reading the book in the few minutes I get spare. Several of us on the VSF board use Wyrd mini's figs for characters in our games.

That's a nice looking crew, but is there a bigger picture? I'd particularly like to see the bases better.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 07:02:02 PM »
@abhorsen950 :

Wow that was a quick reply, lol! Thank your for you kind comments.

The game plays very well actually. The most unusual mechanic is that each player draws cards from a deck of cards (each player has their own, but both decks are identical) instead of rolling dice. The idea is that if you have a run of bad luck, then you're increasingly likely to have a run of good luck as the 'bad' cards are used up. The decks are reshuffled each turn, and each player also has a small 'hand' of cards which can be (primarily) be used to change the outcome of your card flips. Also, certain special actions require not only certain card values to succeed, but sometimes also certain suits as well. The rest of the game is much more traditional - you move in inches, measure with a tape measure, etc.

It is a simple game mechanically, but remarkably complex in variation and tactics. It is also rather well balanced, although some crews do have higher learning curves than others.

The game sizes are usually 25-35 points (or Soulstones in fact), which typically equates to about 5-7 models. Most starter boxes are around the 20 Soulstone mark. Unspent Soulstones are 'kept' and can be used in game to add extra cards to your card flip results (works kinda like a 'boost').

I hope that answers your question a bit, but do ask if you want to know more/anything specific. :)

@Dewbakuk :

Thanks, you can click on the image for a bigger picture ;)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 07:09:41 PM »
@Dewbakuk :

Thanks, you can click on the image for a bigger picture

That'll teach me, I assumed it was the same pic as you posted in answer to the Silfor question. When I clicked that one the pic was no bigger.

Great paintjob, and lovely bases. Are they made from balsa? They set the figures off very well.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 08:14:42 PM »
@Dewbakuk :

No worries! And I sure I did get the code right on the Silflor topic, but I have no idea why it wouldn't enlarge!? I might give it another fiddle.

The bases are made with plasticard and putty only (aside from sand/talus/cork and the Silflor, obviously). Basically, I drag a strip of plasticard once or twice over very coarse sandpaper, and then trim/carve it with a very sharp knife to get the roughened wood effect. I then use slices of thin plastic rod to make the nails, and the whole thing is then glued to a 30mm standard plastic base which is filled with lead (to give it weight). And although you can't see it, there is black velour on the base bottom too :)

I prefer working with plastic and putty, as I find they glue and tool better than other materials. Otherwise, I might have used wood.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 08:46:30 PM »
That's what I like to see, someone who truly cares about their bases  :D ;D

Clearly I need to step my game up!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 09:15:32 PM »
Yes indeed - great bases. Nice handiwork  :)

The figures aren't really my taste - but thank goodness we all like different things, eh?

So is it kinda Old West Gothic?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 09:23:27 PM »
Yes indeed - great bases. Nice handiwork  :)

The figures aren't really my taste - but thank goodness we all like different things, eh?

So is it kinda Old West Gothic?

As I read the fluff it is even more of a melange than that. A bit over the top, if you ask me, but some of the miniatures, if you not use them all together with the Malifaux rules/sourcebook, are very nice. The zombie Chihuahua has been adored on the forum before. Myself, I hope to showcase at least one other @ round 5 of LPL.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 09:25:45 PM »
I've been over at the Wyrd site since it was first put up, and got to watch Malifaux grow into what it is.

They've got great talent, that's for sure.

The game is hard to pin down, genre wise.  It's got a mix of a bunch of them.

@Major ...Your crew looks fantastic by the way! Especially that hair on Perdita!

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
    • http://z11.invisionfree.com/Kashindan/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 03:42:33 PM »
Cracking review of Malifaux in Issue 2 of the Ancible (www.the-ancible.com)

The game is a huge mix of styles from Horror, to VSF to Wild West and most inbetween.  Its an odd game as no dice involved but using Fate cards is a skill itself.

Become who you really are... [/i]

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 03:52:49 PM »

:-*
Great painting on those figures. 

The paint scheme is very realistic, which is a good counterpoint to the usually very exaggerated Wyrd "look" to the figures themselves.  I rarely have the restraint to paint in such earthy tones.

I have three of the Death Marshals on my painting table waiting for the treatment at the moment although until your description of how the rules work, I had more or less no interest in trying the game itself.  I might try and track own the rules and give them a read.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your miniatures :)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 04:14:12 PM »
I've been really impressed by the book. The production quality is superb (although there are the inevitable typo's here and there). The rules are straight forward enough once you get used to the duel concept and not using dice. The artwork is entertaining and the story themes running through it are very well written.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 08:48:10 PM »
Thank you all for your kind comments!

Nathan Caroland (Wyrd's owner) describes the Malifaux setting as Steamvictoriohorrorwestpunk... Which pretty much sums it up I think.

I would also suggest checking out the downloadable e-zines on the Wyrd site (the "Wyrd Chronicles") as they are free and have lots of cool goodies in them - step-by-step sculpting and painting tutorials, upcoming models and loads of cool fluff and stories (that are not found anywhere else). Well worth a read if you like the look of the game, even if you don't intend to buy in or play it.

Another cool aspect of the game is that it has not only a main objective for each player (before you choose which models to play), but that each player can choose up to two additional secondary objectives too (after forces are chosen) - these secondary objectives are kept a secret, but if you announce them to your opponent before the game starts, you get twice the victory points for them if you complete them! These two victory condition elements help ensure that whatever forces you have available, you should have a good chance to at least get a draw. Most of the scenarios are very helpful in getting a narrative for the game too, and along with the generous and detailed terrain rules, allow players to get some really good stories from the games they play!

Anyway, I do have another crew in the wings that I'm working on, and a third planned after that... So as soon as I get them done, I'll share them with you all on here.

@ Cheetor:
I always liked the Lady Justice boxed set (yay, another Gael Goumon lady!), and felt that the Death Marshals would look good in heavily shadowed neutral colours to offset the brightly-coloured other-worldly flames licking out from their pineboxes. Maybe such a scheme would offer you a chance to both go wild and be restrained at the same time? :P

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 11:21:55 AM »
@ Cheetor:
I always liked the Lady Justice boxed set (yay, another Gael Goumon lady!), and felt that the Death Marshals would look good in heavily shadowed neutral colours to offset the brightly-coloured other-worldly flames licking out from their pineboxes. Maybe such a scheme would offer you a chance to both go wild and be restrained at the same time? :P

I used the word "earthy" when I should have said "realistic" when describing your stuff :)

Re the Death Marshals, I havent decided what direction to take and whether to paint them in individual schemes or not.  As I am considering picking up the Malifaux rules at some stage I may hold off on painting the figures until I have a read of the background.  In the meantime I have grabbed the three Wyrd Chronicles for a look.  Thanks for the heads up re those :)