Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:19:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What colour for my Ruritanian Riflemen?  (Read 20867 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
What colour for my Ruritanian Riflemen?
« on: March 12, 2010, 08:24:29 PM »
It's years since I read the Prisoner of Zenda, and only slightly less time since I last saw the film, so I'd like opinions on what colour to paint my lovely new 'Zendarian' Riflemen from West Wind (link) please.

They're Ruritanian troops primarily, the beginnings of a total fantasy VSF force; but there's a strong likelihood I'll be using them as generic German Empire or generally Mitteleuropa troopers at some points, so I'd rather steer away from anything that specifically suggests Prussia or Bavaria or any other historical German state... but I still want them to look German if you get my meaning.

So, any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: What colour for my Ruritanian Riflemen?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 08:29:46 PM »
Plum!
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

former user

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 08:31:56 PM »
grey, greenish grey, brownish grey

grey is generic german for that time
avoid red or yellow facings and blue, and You stay away from prussian
You could use British home service or colonial style uniforms to avoid Pickelhaube

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:38:32 PM »
Oh I like your idea, what a great force to build. I would go with black with silver and gold trim (or maybe red).  I think this would really make them stand out.  Esecilly if you were going to add some heavy cavalry-Silver breastplate and helmet, a little gold trim to shine in the sun.  Just the look for a small country that wants to make a statement on the world stage that VSF so readily provides.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:49:03 PM »
Apple green. With cerise facings. Go wild.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 09:55:16 PM »
There's a nice plate in "Forgotten Armies" of a Silesian Hussar, 1907-1914. He's in a sort of milk chocolate jacket (think light brown chocolate, not the dark stuff), with yellow piping, facings etc. Black trousers with a yellow stripe. It is quite a striking look, and not a familiar one you might associate with a particular country.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 10:31:42 PM »
Apple green. With cerise facings. Go wild.

I thought puce lime was the vogue for this season?  ;)

I'm liking Plynkes' suggestion with the brown, black and yellow. 
Don't!

Offline Count Winsky

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 11:30:19 PM »
I would go with chocolate brown jacket and pants w/pink facings and stripes.  Bold move for any army.  :)
“There is no force like success, and that is why the individual makes all effort to surround himself throughout life with the evidence of it; as of the individual, so should it be of the nation.”

Marcus Garvey

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 11:33:21 PM »
I would go with chocolate brown jacket and pants w/pink facings and stripes.  Bold move for any army.  :)

I like it! thats what I would go for! But have Black pants for reguler infranty With sky blue faceings, and Pink tops with brown paints for Cav.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 11:54:53 PM »
Thanks guys, I might leave some of the candy-inspired uniforms on the drawing board, I'm not thinking we should have The Chocolate Soldier...

Sky blue was one possibility I was thinking of, but I'm quite taken by the idea of having white tunics and blue trousers. On the other hand, I'm also thinking that that's actually a German uniform of the period.

Another possibility is a mustardy-yellow. Thought it might go well with black.

But I know little of historical uniforms of the era in Germany, so I may well accidently end up painting them as Saxons or Wurtemburgians or something. Or Austrians of course.

@ former user... they have to have pickelhauber, that's how we'll know they're Germans...

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 12:00:32 AM »

Apple green. With cerise facings....

Mmmmhh! Tasty!  :D
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 12:12:41 AM »
Taking my inspiration from Danish uniforms of around 1830, what about a scarlet tunic, yellow facings, and sky blue trousers, with white equipment.

The sky blue all over was worn by the Bavarians during the Franco Prussian War, and your white with blue trousers was pretty much the Austrian Infantry colours of choice.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 12:17:40 AM »
Not scarlet, I also have British infantry...

And I thought I was probably taking the uniforms I was liking from existing ones. Damn.

Front runner is mustardy-yellow then!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 12:31:46 AM »
I painted some guys up like that once also, Mustured with black pants is a winner in my book

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
In order to help you to satisfy the whole lot of suggestions, here is compromise of all:
.- Ruritania is divided in some duchies, that is why the "Black" Michael is also referred as the "duke of Zenda", he also "owns" a regiment and has a personal retinue and bodyguard (the six!!). In order to distinguish his regiment he would have chosen different colour from the king's regiment. So, I suggest:
.- King's regiment (i.e. Ruritanian army): sky blue coat, grey/blue pants, red facing and silver helmets. Cavalry: uhlans with same colour scheme.
King's dragoons: sky blue, blue and yellow.
King's bodygaurd: I thought of white and gold  but:
Oh I like your idea, what a great force to build. I would go with black with silver and gold trim (or maybe red).  I think this would really make them stand out.  Esecilly if you were going to add some heavy cavalry-Silver breastplate and helmet, a little gold trim to shine in the sun.  Just the look for a small country that wants to make a statement on the world stage that VSF so readily provides.

.- Duke's regiment: inspired by the "classics illustrated" I had at my youth days, rifle green coats (I love this hue), yellow piping, black jaeger caps, dark grey/black pants. Cavalry: Hussars with similar colours.
.- Princess Flavia's regiment: White with red piping, red epaulettes and aiguilletts, silver helmet.
Cavalry (cuirassiers): as above and  with silver cuirass.
(This scheme was influenced  by Peruvian presidential guard!)
.- if you want another regiment: Go Plynkes! nice idea.

argsilverson