Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:47:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689348
  • Total Topics: 118276
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What colour for my Ruritanian Riflemen?  (Read 20850 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Re: What colour for my Ruritanian Riflemen?
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2012, 07:06:23 PM »
Ruritania certainly does have strong Catholic ties - Colonel Sapt asks Rassendyl in 'Prisoner' if he's a Catholic and when Rassendyl says no, Sapt says something like 'Good god, he's a heathen!'

The ecclesiastical hierarchy is all Catholic - Bishop of Modenstein (in 'Heart of Princess Osra') and Archbishop of Strelsau, who has 'gone to Rome to get a Cardinal's hat'. A later Archbishop features in 'Prisoner' too. So pretty definitely it's a Catholic country.

On the other hand, I've never heard of a 'Luther Rose'. Frankly I was just looking for some heraldic rose from Germany and Argsilverson pointed me at Lippe. I don't know what German heraldic roses look like apart from that one as I've never seen any others. Certainly in England I'd call that a Lancastrian Rose (Tudor Roses have a double row of petals which are red on the outside and white for the inner row)

As to the pickelhaube, my plan was to have the gold-on-black design matching the national flag. Then I forgot and made the flag gold on red. I've also got a black on white (with red border) version, which is also not what I'm after. Oh well, back to research on 'google images' then!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:48:24 PM by Red Orc »

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2012, 02:17:24 PM »
Sorry, as in the Lutheran religious sect. Usually white with a central red heart, but I've seen it as red petals somewhere, probably done by someone as ignorant as I.

Looking at the variety of presentations I've found on the web, I really can't tell one heraldic rose from another. Petals seem to appear and vanish, secondary colors wax and wane.

I've no doubt there are particulars that are constant to each, but I'll be verdamnt as to what they are.

Doug

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2012, 02:46:09 PM »
I got it was to do with Lutherans. But we don't have them here, so I know nothing of their heraldry.

Looking at the so-called 'Tudor Roses' on the web, some have white inner rows and red outer (as they should, it's an official royal badge) but some are shown with red inner rows and white outer. I guess these are 'home-made' ones.

The red roses in English heraldry are House of Lancaster roses; the white ones are House of York roses; when Henry Tudor (who claimed the crown through connections with the House of Lancaster) married Elizabeth of York he combined the red and white roses. Often Lancastrian roses are referred to as Tudor roses but they aren't.

Not really aware of any other roses, but my knowledge of non-English heraldry is awful.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2012, 04:24:29 PM »
The red roses in English heraldry are House of Lancaster roses; the white ones are House of York roses; when Henry Tudor (who claimed the crown through connections with the House of Lancaster) married Elizabeth of York he combined the red and white roses. Often Lancastrian roses are referred to as Tudor roses but they aren't.

Wow! Then it really IS not my fault!

Thanks, mate!  :D

You'd think, as I'd played Kingmaker more than once, I could get it straight.

Doug

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
    • Lacepulp & High Adventure (board)
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2012, 07:30:44 PM »
Of course, I forgot when I made it I was going to go for a gold eagle on black to match the gold eagle on black that is the helmet-badge of my Ruritanian riflemen. Idiot.
  The German eagle was black on the flag but brass on the pickelhaube, so your Ruritanians sport a closer match.
Now, you can paint a tiny rose on the breast of each eagle :D

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2012, 01:09:58 PM »
  The German eagle was black on the flag but brass on the pickelhaube, so your Ruritanians sport a closer match.

And I thought *I* was a sick, sadistic b-tard!

WELL played!

Doug

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2012, 05:24:21 PM »

lol Yeah, I'm really going to do that!

Whatever happens, they'll have black pickelhaube and gold eagles. I've been thinking about the idea of the 'War of the Ruritanian Succession' - after Queen Flavia's death, with no obvious heir, different distant relatives all claim the throne leading to intervention from various neighbouring powers and a general 'Ruritanian Civil War', c.1895. Anyway, I was wondering about different factions having differnt versions of the flag. Then I can use the gold-on-red, the black-on-red and any other versions I can come up with...