Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:27:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 689
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Goblins! Goblins! Goblins!  (Read 11963 times)

Offline Spong

• Bookworm
  • We can't stop here...
Re: Goblins! Goblins! Goblins!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 03:59:19 PM »
Have a look through the showcase at Frothers: http://marbles.frothersunite.com/gobbo1.html

Of particular note from that are Warrior miniatures: http://www.warrioronline.demon.co.uk/index.htm

Fenryll: http://www.fenryll.com/

Excalibur Miniatures

some of the Privateer Press goblins look good as something slightly different amidst the horde, they have a kind of Froudish froggy look.

Also some of Reaper's stuff seems appropriate and as others have mentioned Alternative Armies and Hasslefree both seem like they could work.

--------

Edit: Actually I wonder if anyone might mind awfully if I hijacked the thread a little?

You see I am in a similar, though not identical, conundrum. I have a very specific idea in my head how Goblins should look for the fantasy world I am making. Its pretty much personified by the Thunderbolt Mountain goblins, particularly the archers, though I do think they could be wearing more clothes but thats neither here nor there:

There's just something about them, the faces and the physique, that is spot on for my idea of goblins. Not too barbaric, not too civilised with just the right amount of celtic mythological fey about them - not pushovers by any means but not innately warlike and more prone to mischief in times of peace. A bit Froudian facially but physically larger and more capable, also more like a cohesive society than a random collection of misshapen sprites. I can just imagine them chilling in an enchanted dell under a giant toadstool surrounded by fairies and gremlins when they're not at war  (or being a nuisance to the local farmers :P).

Its a problem though because:
-they're only available from the TB website which is in the US.
-they're expensive anyway, then add international shipping and it gets silly.
-there's only a handful in the range, not really enough to build a warband.
-at 30mm scale they might be a bit big to go with anything else except as champions, plus nothing else looks quite like them anyway.

Does anyone know of any other ranges I may have overlooked that look similar or capture the same feel? I've even looked at 15mm ranges to see if anything qualifies as I can quite comfortably stand the idea of goblins being smaller than dwarves just as much as the idea of them being larger like a stereotypical orc. Depending on whats out there I don't mind a bit of variation in size as long as its not too extreme (I'm not suggesting combining 15mm and 30mm ranges for example.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:12:56 AM by Spong »

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 12:27:12 PM »
The warrior miniatures ones have a nice Labyrinth feel to them.

Offline Spong

• Bookworm
  • We can't stop here...
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 04:38:51 PM »
Actually I rather like these 15-25mm ranges as small goblinoids:

25mm scale Kobolds from The Goblin Factory (as yet unreleased):

-goblins with horns are good in my book, I like their faces and it looks like a good sized range, some of them might even be convertible into cavalry by the looks of their stance.

15mm scale Orcs from Khurasan Miniatures (as yet unreleased):

20mm scale Orcs from Rebel Minis:

-with both the above ranges I particularly like their helmets, their armour and their faces. A few weapon swaps might be in order. Some of the poses are a little stiff but nothing too bad.

I'm now thinking of all of these plus a few larger models from other ranges of a complementary style to give a weird varied look to the army. Large man-sized goblins striding forward surrounded by a sea of smaller but no less deadly sprite warriors. Also the odd ogre here and there amidst the horde.

Sound good?

---

Edit: back on topic for the OP there is one other mini I just found that may be of interest, its in 15/18mm scale but may be suitable as a small goblin. A badger lord in plate armour from Splintered Light minis:

- i suppose it depends on how much it bothers you that he has furry feet, though you could easily smooth the legs and add some big pointy shoes with green stuff.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 06:00:56 PM by Spong »

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 10:29:49 PM »
All great finds Spong!  :o

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 10:31:36 PM »
Hasslefree do some much like the ones from Khurasan

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 10:43:57 PM »
I'd suggest taking a look at the Chronopia goblins from the "Black Blood" empire. I really like them, they're more "middle east" if you will, but might do the trick. They also have "swamp goblins", which look straight out of the jungle.

Offline Spong

• Bookworm
  • We can't stop here...
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 07:45:30 PM »
*puts on best Professor Farnsworth voice*

"Good news everyone!"

I've just been speaking to Don at The Goblin Factory about release dates for the Kobolds. I got his permission to post up here about their availability, here's what he said:

The Kobolds are released.... I just have to update my website.

KOB001  Kobold Command (4)  $5.25
KOB002  Kobolds w/Spears (5)  $6.25
KOB003  Kobolds w/Swords (5)  $6.25
KOB003  Kobolds w/Axes (5)     $6.25
KOB004  Kobolds w/Bows (5)    $6.25

All packs have one of each pose.

KOB100  Kobold war Band (24)  $27.50

One of each pose

Hope that helps you. I'm trying to get the site updated... soon.

and...

There are going to be more releases for the Kobolds. The cavalry is in the planning stage, I'm thinking of having them ride Kamodo Dragons. Other releases will be Blow guns, Javilins, Clubs and Raiders with loot.

I had planned on converting some to ride Splintered Light Komodo Dragons anyway but it looks like I won't need to :P. Raiders with loot sound awesome for a bit of extra character!

http://www.thegoblinfactory.com/home.htm

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 09:26:18 PM »
Has anyone seen the ones made by East Riding Miniatures (http://shop.eastridingminiatures.co.uk/orcs--goblins-154-c.asp)?

I quite like several of the few that are pictured and at 90p each they seem a bargain but so many of them are anonymous.
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 07:56:46 AM »
I like the look of them too...