Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:58:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Riga 1919 - Epic battle, ruleset T&T  (Read 14599 times)

Offline Fugazi

• Librarian
  • "Wargaming is part of the male life cycle."
    • Team for historical simulations
Re: Riga 1919 - Epic battle, ruleset T&T
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 01:08:35 PM »
Wow, that looks like a Schneider 122 in the rail wagon - where did you get that model?  :-*

The model is from Irregular Miniatures. It is actually a 1/72 model.
There it was titles as "Krupp gun" ...

Offline bollix

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 02:35:44 AM »
The model is from Irregular Miniatures. It is actually a 1/72 model.
There it was titles as "Krupp gun" ...

Thanks, Fugazi. I thought it looked just a little on the small side for a 122 in 28mm. Looks an awful lot like the Russian Putilov/Schneider 122 though! Those recuperators are shaped exactly the same. Here's a link to the gun I'm talking about:  http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1099159 I sure don't recall any Krupp looking like that.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 06:01:14 AM »
Are we talking about the gun in the train waggpn? I took it for an FK 96
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

former user

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 12:22:12 PM »
Since the gun seems just right to me, I never spent any brain grit on the type I must admit  :)

anyway, here some more "teasing" boxcars
and HMS Cassandra's steam barge, that has just landed the British contingent

former user

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 08:17:22 PM »
OK, here we go then with the scenario and forces

Riga 1919

Historical Background
After on November 11, 1918 the Armistice ended the Great War, German troops in the Baltic were ordered by the Entente to remain in the region to fight Bolshevik expansion. General Rüdiger von der Golz, former advisor to the Finnish independence army, sought to maintain German influence and formed the Baltic Landeswehr and Iron Brigade, with the ultimate goal of establishing the German ruled United Baltic Dutchy. When in the autumn of 1919 most Bolshevik forces had been driven out of Latvia by Latvian, Estonian and German forces, v.d. Golz  refused to withdraw from Latvia and merged with the West Russian Volunteer Army of General Bermondt-Avalov under the pretext of joining Kolchak’s army and marching on Petrograd. Their true intentions soon became obvious and clashes with Estonian and Latvian independence forces finally culminated in an attempt to conquer Riga. After the German diplomatic mission secretely left Riga on October 5th, the Landeswehr attacked Riga on the 8th, taking Pardaugava district. On November 3rd, a united counterattack by the Estonian and Latvian army supported by the Royal Navy expedition counterattacked, finally diving the Germans out on the 11th.
The following scenario is not about this battle.

Scenario
In preparation for the main offensive on Riga, Major General v.d. Golz decides to personally lead a surprise attack on the south-western fringes of Riga. The aim of the fast strike force is to seize the main electrical plant and it’s supplying freight station and to divert from the main thrust at the heart of Riga. Joining his units of the Iron Brigade and the Landeswehr are the Yildirim veterans and soldiers of fortune of Graf Jansen zu Zahl (with so many strange stories of foreign troops in the RCW, I decided to invent my own story for these) and the elite White Russian Regiment Barnitzkiy. In order to increase their speed, the Germans commandeer all available motor vehicles and a freight train. The Estonian naval shore command assigned with guarding the freight station are taken by surprise and request support, to which Rear Admiral Sir Walter Henry Cowan orders the steam barge of the previously mined HMS Cassandra that is currently patrolling the Daugava river. To add to the confusing situation, all fractions are aware that a Bolshevik attempt to turn the tide is imminent.

Briefings

British Expeditionary Forces
Rear Admiral Sir Walter Henry Cowan has ordered the combined landing detachments of HMS Cardiff and HMS Cassandra to support the Estonian independence forces and to prevent Riga being conquered by either Bolsheviks or Baltic Landeswehr. The counterrevolutionary Barnitzkiy elite regiment is regarded as a possible ally as long as it does not intervene in Baltic independence. At the start of the battle, the naval contingent has just landed west of the electric plant.
Troops   (led by @Admiral Benbow)
1 Rolls-Royce armoured car, veteran crew
HMS Cassandra (in blue order)
2 x  trained naval infanty (13); leader
1 Hotchkiss 37mm revolver cannon, trained crew
HMS Cardiff (in white order)
1 trained naval infantry (15); leader
2 x light field gun, veteran crew

Estonian Independence Forces
With many sacrifices You have repulsed the red Latvian attempt to transfer communism to Your country. Now You have chased them back to their capital and want to finish the job, although You are heavily exhausted and Your logistics are overstretched.
Anyway, You must support Yout Latvian brothers and hold Riga. At the start of the battle, the Estonians hold the train station.
Troops   (led by @Steam Flunky)
Hero (disciplinarian)
1 raw sea cadets (10), leader
2 x improvised armoured cars on Fowler steam tractors, HMG; trained crews
ESR Lennuk (in blue order)
1 trained naval infantry (9), leader
ESR Vambola (in white order)
1 trained naval infantry (15), leader
(figures painted by @Dragoman and Axel)

Bolshevik Intervention
Leo Davidovich, our comrades in Latvia have suffered a terrible drawback against the Estonians. Comrade Commissar, take all available elite units and divert the enemies of the Revolution in Riga in order to buy time for the main forces to reorganize. Make sure You connect with the Latvian Rifle insurgents that already have infiltrated Riga. The Bolshevik armoured train and the Latvian rifles enter the board at predetermined positions and a randomly determined time after the second turn. (the umpire leads this force in order to make sure that thearmoured train does not unbalance the game)
Troops    (led by @former user)
Hero (Leo Trotzky), (hero of the people, disciplinarian, terrible repute)
1 veteran red guards (9), bayonets, flag
1 elite Kronstadt sailors (14), bayonets, 2 leaders; hero (crack shot)
1 elite Latvian Rifles ( 8 ), HMG, flag, leader, hero (sturdy)
1 elite Latvian Rifles (10), leader, hero (preacher)
1 armoured automotrice: 2 field guns, 8 LMG; elite crew, hero
1 connected armoured infantry assault car; transport 30
(figures painted by @Fugazi)

Iron Brigade
The British might believe You come to fight the Bolsheviks, but You,  Major General Rüdiger v.d. Golz, will seize Riga and extend Your sphere of influence over as much as Your Iron Brigade can get a hold. The Iron Brigade enters the table at the start of the game, from North and/or South and/or railbound on the main line at the choice of the player.
Troops   (led by @Fugazi)
Hero (MGen. V.d. Golz) (steady)
1 veteran infanty (7); signaller; leader
1 elite stormtroopers (10); handgrenades, 2 SMG, leader, hero (stealthy, brawler, terrible repute)
2 x veteran infantry (10); LMG, leader
1 veteran infantry (10); HMG, leader
1 field gun; veteran crew
(figures painted by @Fugazi)

Baltic Landwehr
Major Fletcher has order You to back up the German forces as a reserve. The force enters the table at the German entry points after the first turn at the request of the german players. The Baltic border patrol can be motorized with the available trucks and staff cars.
Troops   (one player short at the start of the game, troops were distributed to the other german players as reserve)
Baltic Border patrol
1 trained infantry (10); bayonets, leader
1 trained infantry (11); signaller
staff cars, trucks
Landeswehr
1 trained infantry (9); HMG; bayonets, leader
2 x raw infantry (10); bayonets
(figures painted by @Fugazi, staff cars by @former user)

Yilderim Mercenaries
After so many battles lost, You hope to gain at least some compensation for Yourself and the men that trust You with their lives and whom You almost regard as Your personal retinue. V.d. Golz is Your ally and You can trust him. At the start of the battle, the force has already infiltrated the urban are to the south of the railway station. The demolitioner can set his charge per rules or use it to arm a railway torpedo.
Troops   (played by Axel)
Hero (artillerist)
1 field gun, veteran crew
1 veteran infantry (12); leader
1 trained engineers (12); hero (demolitioner)
1 Lanchester armoured car, veteran crew
(figures painted by Axel and @Dragoman)

Regiment Barnitzkiy
After loosing almost everything to the revolution, Your goal is to surf the waves between untrustworthy allies and hated enemies. You hate the Germans, but You are too weak to stand alone against the Reds. The British might support You, but they won’t tolerate if You try to crush the Estonians, which You could and would in an instant. You will shoot any Bolshevik on sight. Try to outwit Your enemies and act at the right time! At the start of the battle, the regiment is deployed at the southern shore.
Troops   (played by @Dragoman)
Hero (courage under fire)
1 veteran infantry ( 8 );HMG; bayonets, signaller
1 veteran infantry (10); bayonets, leader
1 raw infantry (10); leader
2 x Lancia IZ armoured cars, trained crews
(figures painted by @Fugazi and @Dragoman)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:44:37 AM by bedwyr »

Offline bollix

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 12:58:59 AM »
Are we talking about the gun in the train waggpn? I took it for an FK 96

Yes, the one in the train wagon. The gun shield does look like that of a Krupp. But the recuperators on this model (the recoil mechanism beneath the barrel) are distinctly that of the Putilov/Schneider (French Schneider designed, produced by Putilov in Russia). Here is the Wiki page for this gun: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/122_mm_howitzer_M1910/30 The Putilov/Schneider 152 (m1910) had the same, or very similar, recuperator design.

I don't want to pass myself off as an artillery expert - I'm not. But I have been reading a lot on the Russian forces from the First World War and the Civil War, and trying to collect armies in 28mm for an upcoming campaign. So I got excited when I saw that Schneider recuperator design.

Honestly, I now think the Irregular model is a mishmash of several real designs. Or perhaps it is a one off design from the Duchy of Grand Fenwick, copying features from both it's larger neighbors' weapons.  ;)

former user

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 09:59:02 AM »
which would be no surprise, since there is always experimenting with swapping guns and carriages, shields etc.

I would not know about WWI, but there are lot of examples for WWII

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 09:23:32 PM »
Excellent stuff!
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

former user

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 12:28:43 PM »
thx

so, to keep up the tension a bit I shall start the battle report now

here some peaceful views of the setting

former user

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 12:35:30 PM »
and here we go with turn one

Estonian and BEF have set up first, after which the German Pasch veterans were able to react
You have already seen the Iron Brigade entering in an improvised combat train from the south.
The White Russian "coloured" Regiment Barnitzkiy entered from south-east (with the opening view of the church), but only advanced.

former user

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 12:51:37 PM »
Turn two

BEF have advanced and opened fire on the German train, who rolled further and returned fire.
A small motorized force of Baltic border patrol have also entered from north and engaged the Estonians, who in turn are also advancing south towards the Pascha veterans.
Still delaying action from the white Russians.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:49:24 PM by bedwyr »

former user

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 12:55:29 PM »
and my last one for now, cause I'm out of pictures

to be continued.....

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 04:32:17 PM »
That is an amazing table, the industrial buildings look great.

Are they model railroad buildings, or resin?

former user

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 04:37:18 PM »
I really wished Rob would comment himself...
As far as I can tell, they are pretty much kitbashed from model railway buildings, but I can't tell for sure

at least the backdrop versions are very much scratchbuilt
but otherwise - no resin involved

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 09:05:13 AM »
Just found this (thanks former user). Bloody brilliant,very evocative. former user you are the god of trains :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.