Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:27:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How is Broadsword Adventures?  (Read 4854 times)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
How is Broadsword Adventures?
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:58:31 PM »
I've been playing Song of Blades and Heroes for some time now, and while we enjoy it it's sometimes a bit too light. Been trying to form myself an opinion of how Broadsword Adventures compare.

Haven't been able to find any decent reviews though. I've seen the sales pitch and I've seen a few battle reports - that's about it. Did a search here on LAF, but couldn't find the info I was looking for.

The stuff I'm interested in:
- More story driven gaming
- "Random" events etc
- More character detail

The stuff that's putting me off:
- Possibly too fiddly?
- Too much prep time?
- Not as easily adaptable?
- Proprietary setting
- Much bigger book
- Hero centric?

What I've loved about SOBH:
- Small playing surface (even smaller in BA)
- Small amount of minis (also smaller in BA)
- Easy to learn
- Stream lined and fast play
- Generic rule set
- VERY easy to incorporate my D&D minis collection into the game.
- Pick up and play, basically.

What I'm not liking so much about SOBH:
- Fizzled turns when a two dice activation fails
- Slightly wonky morale rules
- A bit too simple and abstracted
- Not as suitable for a narrative, as a scenario can end in 15 minutes due to a few poor dice rolls

I've recently looked at Savage Worlds, and Broadsword Adventures feels similar. Just can't get my head around the format in which BA is played. For instance, is it suitable for solo/co-op play or does it require a "GM" of sorts?
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Re: How is Broadsword Adventures?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:23:53 PM »
Let me see if I can answer some of your questions. And if you want, check out the free demo download here:

http://www.rattrapproductions.com/speakeasy/viewtopic.php?t=1179

Broadsword Adventures is hero based. Players choose a gang/team/party which would be composed of however many Grade levels you want (think of Grade Levels like points). It is scenario driven and the use of Encounter Markers means you do not need a GM and solo play is infinitely possible.

Prep time is minimal as characters can be set up very quickly once you have read the rules. The only thing fiddly, in my opinion, is the magic portion. It was done that way on purpose, but it is easily adjustable.

The rules are not based solely around our universe. The archetypes within can easily fit any game setting (there was a post either here or over on the Speakeasy about doing elves and dwarves).

We are also constantly adding to it. Our next Thrilling Expeditions Quarterly will expand on the small Rogues list of the main book with a bunch more different Rogue types.

As for the book being thicker, if you look at the demo rules, they contain all the rules with the exception of magic. The rest of the pages in the book contain the archetypes and sample scenarios. In fact, you could distill the basics of the rules down to a single double-sided page. When I run demo games, I can show people the rules in 10 minutes and in 15 minutes they don't need me unless an odd-ball situation comes up.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have on rules and even help you adapt them for what you want to do.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:45:21 PM »
Okay, a word of caution: I really love the Rattrap Games for what they are, so there's a tendency. :D

Check. The encounter system works perfectly to drive you through a story.
- "Random" events etc
Check, see above.
- More character detail
Check. There are lots of predesigned characters available, but you can easily make your own, too. Admittedly, there are some powerplay combinations to be avoided.

- Possibly too fiddly?
Might be an issue, because sometimes you have to remember quite a few special rules. Book-keeping is essential.
- Too much prep time?
You need a hand for scenario design and story-telling. The more you put into that (by preparing "clue cards" and the like) the more rewarding it becomes. But in the end it's down to the people you're gaming with.
It's highly adaptable. For example, we used it for our historical Dark Ages campaign.
- Proprietary setting
No such thing.
- Much bigger book
Nope, all you need on a few pages.
- Hero centric?
Oh yes, it IS centered on heroic action. You could reduce that by avoiding 'high grades', but let's face it: BA is made for Fantasy, so you want your heroes (or villains) to be exceptional.

Check. Average table size is 2'x2'.
Check. I've played a game with just one miniature (that had to discover some things linked to following scenario).
- Easy to learn
Erm, yes. You probably need a game or two to get the hang. If someone can guide you through the game the better.
Depending on your selection of encounters games can be finished in a rush (for example, find three of those markers to find your way out of here - and you find three in a row). Normal games take about half an hour, an hour at most.  Stream lined doesn't describe the rules well me thinks: As said above, there are a lot of possible special rules and tweaks that can slow down the gamers a bit.
- Generic rule set
All Rattrap games share the same mechanics, so you can quite easily adapt rules from different sets/supplements. Character building makes it more specific, so I wouldn't call the rules as such generic.
I'm sure you could make up some character sheets for most of them. There are also some rules for creating beasts and monsters in BA. But be careful, most non-humans become very deadly very fast. Better don't get carried away.
See above. You need to put in some thoughts into scenario design, if you don't play a pregenerated campaign from one of the other books.

BA is all about initiative. Players roll for it at the beginning of each turn. Their highest grades move first, then the next and so on.
Morale isn't an issue here. You test if you see something gruesome/irregular etc. or if you take a hit. That's it.
Nope. See above.
- Not as suitable for a narrative, as a scenario can end in 15 minutes due to a few poor dice rolls
See above, too. Scenarios COULD, but mostly it WON'T end after a short time.
I've recently looked at Savage Worlds, and Broadsword Adventures feels similar. Just can't get my head around the format in which BA is played.

- For instance, is it suitable for solo/co-op play or does it require a "GM" of sorts?
It is suited for solo-play, as by setting encounters you could easily play against 'the game' - we've done that before. Therefore a GM is completly optional, too. Anything goes. Average games have one guy playing the heroes and the other one taking the baddies; the latter cannot win, normally, but they can provide a good fight, anyway.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 08:56:11 PM »
Thanks a lot for your in-depth replies, guys! I'll get back with a few questions tomorrow... been a long day at the office, need some shut-eye.

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 09:11:51 PM »
I'll give you my quick appraisal of the rules

I have purchased almost all Rattrap rulesets and BA is the genre that most appeals to me (I am a huge REH fan and the old black and white Marvel Savage Sword of Conan comics in particular)

But ... I am a Butterfly and dabble in too many things and I expect like many round here I buy and read much more than I play (or actually have time to play) - to be honest I have only played it twice so far so my opinion is not based on extensive testing.

What I really love

Is the encounter system - to me it really shines.  So much so that I have imported this into most of my skirmish games, whatever the ruleset being used.

Each game is a small scale scenario with an objective to be met.  Across the table are scattered a number of tokens - some trigger bad things, some give benefits, some are clues or events that need to be set in motion and some are just ... nothing. 

Your models race across the table triggering the encounters (or trying to stop you triggering them) but you never know which are the really essential ones until they are revealed.

The encounters drive the game along, telling a story as the action takes place. Often you have to collect 3 or more clues or complete 3 or more sequential tasks in order to be able to complete the scenario in a race against the other side.  The uncertainty makes every game different and very suitable for solo play

Other Likes

The rules are a good read
Their is a fully funcional demo to try for free on the Rattrap speakeasy forum
It's an RPGlite combat system - you can do a lot more than just stand toe to toe and slog it out
The rules include most of the archetypes you need (but you customise them from a set of weapons and skills)
The game is scenario based (no bash away until all one side is dead or run away here)
The included scenarios and the others available for download are great - interesting and varied.
It is easy to make your own scenario and encounters.
Games are small - 600x600mm table and a few figures each side so you don't have to paint a million models but can concentrate on making the table look good.
The basic rule system is common across all Rattrap games (Pulp, Gangsters, Flash Gordon style Sci Fi, low level Fantasy, Weird Science WW2 and even straightish WW2
They're available in pdf (and ink is cheap)

What I didn't like so much

The combat system is OK but just too fiddly for me.  There are just too many wound locations - it can take (me at least) a long time to finish someone off.  It reminded me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail and the limbless black knight........... :)

But I have seen an alternative character chart which simplifies the wound track so that a wound will affect multiple body areas/stats rather than the one standard specific area (ie: you hit the legs so movement slows by 1") - this seems much simpler and quicker to me, but I have not tried this alternative.

Summary

If you want something you can get engaged in while playing I would recommend - it's certainly worth the (not many for the pdf) $ just for the inspiration IMO but I would suggest you try the simpler wound structure.

Remember - I am not an expert or heavy uesr of this system and the opinions of others will vary

No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 09:33:55 PM »
"Wound bookkeeping" is probably the most problematic facet of all the various Rattrap games, but it does become much easier if you simply use the stat cards provided on the Rattrap website (then you simply check off boxes in the appropriate areas as wounds accumulate).

While the magic system in Broadsword Adventures is relatively intuitive (casting/dispelling/resisting spells are all resolved as a stat check against the Willpower statistic) it can be hard to get any actual spellcasting done , particularly in low points value (Grade level) games. For the most part, this is a good thing as it keeps magic rare and keeps spellcasting and spellcasters from unbalancing the game, but for those who like to use a lot of magic, some tweaking of the system may be necessary.

I always think that one of the great virtues of the Various Rattrap Games is their modularity- You can "plug them in" to almost any background or historical/fictional setting and use the rules right away with little or no modification.
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 06:41:21 AM »
The book keeping both lures me to the game and puts me off a bit.

I'll probably end up trying the demo rules and see if we like it.

Thanks for the great help everybody!

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 08:49:34 AM »
The damage system is always going to be something that comes down to personal taste really.

Some preffer few hit locations, others are quite happy to take the time to have even more...really it can range from a single location of "everywhere" to having characters lose an eye or a finger.

The basic system in the Broadsword rules sound like a nice mid point to work from in my opinion, then you can choose to have fewer locations or make extra tables for more specific damage to each location.
:)

I've read up on the system so much I now find myself often recommending it to people, as it has enough complexity and flexibility to make me thing it sounds great. I should probably actually put my money where my mouth is and buy the book or pdf to make sure I haven't been giving out bad advice.
 ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:52:39 AM by Viper »
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 02:00:04 PM »
I've been playing Song of Blades and Heroes for some time now, and while we enjoy it it's sometimes a bit too light. Been trying to form myself an opinion of how Broadsword Adventures compare.

Haven't been able to find any decent reviews though. I've seen the sales pitch and I've seen a few battle reports - that's about it. Did a search here on LAF, but couldn't find the info I was looking for.

The stuff I'm interested in:
- "Random" events etc
- More character detail

- Possibly too fiddly?
- Too much prep time?
- Proprietary setting
- Much bigger book
- Hero centric?

- Easy to learn
- Generic rule set

I've recently looked at Savage Worlds, and Broadsword Adventures feels similar. Just can't get my head around the format in which BA is played. For instance, is it suitable for solo/co-op play or does it require a "GM" of sorts?

phreedh, according to your list I think Warrior Heroes Armies & Adventurers could suit you perfectly unless you dislike reaction system from Two Hour Wargames.
You can see many battle reports and two full campaigns at my blog. Here's the link to the one I'm actually playing:
http://javieratwar.blogspot.com/search/label/Campaign.%20Warrior%20Heroes%20Armies%20and%20Adventurers
Start reading it from the bottom of the page.
Cheers,