Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:11:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A return to the Empire - update (4/10) - Abandoned Gatehouse  (Read 85251 times)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: A return to the Empire - update (15/04)
« Reply #375 on: April 15, 2012, 03:26:50 PM »
I'm currently in the middle of a lot of converting and scratchbuilding. For starters, I'm making an updated version of my dwarf stretcherbearer party (yes, so that's what that previously posted WIP sculpt was for), as I think I can make it better than the old one and perhaps cast up a few if the result is worth it. So far, it's going well enough, it's certainly better than the old one. Although I will have to tweak the left arm on the stretcherbearer body as it doesn't look right now (slightly too short I think). The left hand needs some work too:

With a couple heads (head conversion still WIP) and next to a metal dwarf for size:

I've also started on the casualty figure. I think he'll have an integral head. The stretcher needs work too:

On an unrelated conversion, I'm also "imperialising a citadel dwarf from the handgunner set that came after the Marauder ones but before the current plastic ones. I really liked the idea for the original figure but it looked very flat and 2D. The addition of the wider helmet and puffy sleeves helps to flesh it out a bit. Still needs landsknecht shoes and a few little details:

Also WIP is this scratchbuilt tover, based on a hexagonal card box (see on the left in the image) I found in the craft section of a local store. I think the idea is to decorate it and use it as a pencil box. Anyway, when I saw it, the size and shape screamed "tower" at me, so I had to pick it up. Still a few things to add, but it's getting close. One thing I learned is that on conical roofs, I really should go with individual tiles. As it is, I went with short strips, but that made it look very shoddy. But that works for me too.

I used some fine plastic mesh for the windows, which will hopefully give the impression of leaded glass when painted:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 03:43:43 PM by white knight »

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: A return to the Empire - update (23/04)
« Reply #376 on: April 23, 2012, 03:18:15 PM »
I wasn't happy with the way the left arm on the stretcherbearer looked (somewhat short, too far out and more puffy than the right arm, all due to trying to accomodate for the slightly large width of the stretcher I made earlier), so off it went and now the figure looks much more natural. Both arms are now the same length and thickness. I need to tidy a few small things and then he'll be good to go.

Compared to one of John's uncoverted models and with a couple WIP headvariants to go with him (honestly, they look better in the flesh).

With a head on his shoulders:

The tower is slowly getting there, here's another look at those windows, with some paint on. Not perfect, but it will do.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: A return to the Empire - update (15/04)
« Reply #377 on: April 23, 2012, 03:27:05 PM »
The new Dwarf recruits are WONDERFUL as always, AND the Tower is UBERCOOL. Yours is a truly inspiring thread.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #378 on: April 23, 2012, 05:16:51 PM »
The work on the Dwarves is progressing very well, WK.
Love the pistolier most of all.
 :-*

That Tower is brilliant, great find.
The haphazard look to the roof tiles just adds character.
It works for me!
Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #379 on: April 23, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
Great stuff WK, the extra work (re-work) was well worth it on the stretcher chaps.

How do you find the time? I thought you still had a couple more to paint yet ;D
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #380 on: April 23, 2012, 06:04:09 PM »
I haven't painted anything in the last two weeks except that building and it's not done yet.  :'(

Offline clam

• Scientist
    • Clamshells and Sea Horses
« Reply #381 on: April 23, 2012, 08:48:24 PM »
First attempt was good, but this is much better. Body looks much more balanced now. Sorry if it means you have to do a new stretcher, though. And heads will be a great addition to the range. Not sure I'll put a Sallet head on the bearers, but quite sure he'll be useful for something else.

Tower is great too. Looking forward seeing it finished :)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #382 on: April 23, 2012, 10:29:10 PM »
The stretcher bearers are fantastic, you have done well converting the more modern dwarf there too! I might just have to do the same!!!!  :)

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
« Reply #383 on: April 24, 2012, 12:11:58 AM »
Great work on those conversions!!

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: A return to the Empire - update (06/05)
« Reply #384 on: May 06, 2012, 08:11:08 PM »
Well, I managed to finish this hexagonal tower (see WIP above). I'm not entirely happy with it, but I learned a lot making it and will be able to improve with future builds. For those that wonder, the door is a resin cast from Antenociti's Workshop and the windows on the upper floor are plastic windows from the GW fortified manor set. The rest it scratchbuilt.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #385 on: May 06, 2012, 09:41:32 PM »
Well, I think it looks great, WK!

As for learning something: I think we all do that every time we take on a new builing project.
I certainly do!

Great work. I love those roof tiles!

Offline olean

• Student
« Reply #386 on: May 06, 2012, 11:43:40 PM »
Your sculpting really is top notch! Would you consider doing some tutorials or at least describe what techniques and tools you use to make some of the different types of detailing? Especially puffy sleeves - I am trying to master this myself at the moment...

Offline clam

• Scientist
    • Clamshells and Sea Horses
« Reply #387 on: May 07, 2012, 12:42:54 PM »
Turned out great WK and very inspiring stuff *cough*but shouldn't you be painting Zweihänder and core command *cough* sorry, for the darn cold  ;)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #388 on: May 07, 2012, 12:44:56 PM »
*cough*but shouldn't you be painting Zweihänder and core command *cough* sorry, for the darn cold  ;)

I should, but I'm not. Got another building to complete (and some sculpting) before I can get back to painting the little metal men.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: A return to the Empire - update (17/05)
« Reply #389 on: May 17, 2012, 07:11:25 PM »
It seems appropriate that I would finish this building today, with the revival in all those wonderful fantasy town threads. ;)

It took a while to get it done, but I finished the Ziterdes windmill set. It's made from hardfoam with some lasercut wood details. It's a very large, and very nice model. The wings are a weak point in the design and I have pinned both them and the platform for maximum strength. I accidentally dropped it on the floor while painting and although one of the wings feels a bit loose if you push against it, it held.

I've included a few minis in the first and last picture to give a sense of scale. Did I mention it's big?

I decided to keep the actual mill part separate from the house part. Not only will this be easier for transporting, it also means the mill can be used on it's own without the rest of the building.