Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:47:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686665
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A return to the Empire - update (4/10) - Abandoned Gatehouse  (Read 85006 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: A return to the Empire - update (17/05)
« Reply #390 on: May 17, 2012, 06:20:46 PM »
wow, it's really big! well done, WK, fine stuff, nicely painted. Something like that could need my town too  :D

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: A return to the Empire - update (17/05)
« Reply #391 on: May 18, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »
 :o :o :o

Bloody hell!
That is magnificent, WK!
 :-* :-* :-*

All I can say is: Can you PLEASE pack it in, too?
I really do not need tempting back to fantasy buildings at this precise moment!
Now you are joining the wonderful bandwagon with this colossol offering.
 >:( >:( >:(

( ;) Absolutely love it, Sir!  :-*)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: A return to the Empire - update (19/05) - belfort
« Reply #392 on: May 19, 2012, 02:52:44 PM »
Another building,  a quicky this time as it is mostly stone. Another hardfoam one from the Ziterdes range. I'm calling it a belfort because that's what it looks like to me (for those not familiar with the term, it's a medieval watchtower/belltower). This is one of the more recent models in the range I think and it shows, crisp, hard edges and detail everywhere, you wouldn't believe this is foam until you pick it up and feel the weight. Hopefully they'll keep adding more with this level of quality.

I did some weathering on this that doesn't come out well in the pictures. Basically, some of those vertical streaks and shadows you may detect are actually greenish streaks in reality. Really. I'm actually quite happy how well this came out with minimal effort.

And in case you're wondering about the size, here's a scale shot with some figures (again, this is an impressive model sizewise) and some detail shots:

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #393 on: May 19, 2012, 03:03:25 PM »
That is a nice model and you have painted it very nicely.

Two of them as corners and some extra similar walls would go a long way to making a massive cathedral
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #394 on: May 19, 2012, 03:13:35 PM »
That is a nice model and you have painted it very nicely.

Two of them as corners and some extra similar walls would go a long way to making a massive cathedral

I was having the exact same thought when I was taking the pictures. But I already have something set aside for building a massive cathedral. ;)

Offline Theomar Pius

• Librarian
    • The Stonecutters Guild
« Reply #395 on: May 19, 2012, 04:35:19 PM »
Do the blades on the mill spin? If not, modifying them to do so will save a lot of fixes from minor bumps and nudges.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #396 on: May 19, 2012, 04:39:40 PM »
That would have involved major surgery, and is unfortuantely not very practical from the way the model is constructed.

It could have been done, but I guess I'll wait until major breakage before thinking about it now.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #397 on: May 19, 2012, 04:40:56 PM »
This is a really great thread with some wonderful stuff in it.  :-*

Those Ziterdes hard foam buildings look great.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #398 on: May 20, 2012, 09:20:35 AM »
I just love them. Sturdy and lightweight and I don't have to worry about glue loosening. And dropping them may result in a chuffed or otherwise damaged corner perhaps, but that is still better than picking up the shards and pieces of broken resin.

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #399 on: May 20, 2012, 12:19:10 PM »
They look great WK.  I wonder if I can get these in the states?

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #400 on: May 23, 2012, 11:07:17 AM »
I don't know, but if you place a large order their overseas shipping costs are pretty reasonable (and the stuff is light).

Offline Franz_Josef

• Scientist
« Reply #401 on: September 06, 2012, 10:11:02 PM »
Wanted to let other US readers know that the Mirilton/Grenadier (Copplestone-sculpted) Renaissance themed Dark Elves (White Knight has a couple of pictures on his website) are now available in the U.S. from FRP Games (whom I've usually found to have good service).  I put in an order Friday (which were being shipped Tuesday, due to our Labor Day Holiday).  At less than $13 for a pack of 5 (pack of 4 for command groups; pack of 1 for Cold One Knghts), they are much more economical than the Wargames Foundry Revenant Elves (at 2 Elves per pack, for about $18 - albeit that includes a few cherubs too).

Offline Franz_Josef

• Scientist
« Reply #402 on: September 30, 2012, 03:35:34 PM »
For Empire painters and sculptors looking for some inspiration, try a look at www.snjacobson.com  for pictures of the reenactment society the School of the Renaissance Soldier and Actions of the Lowe Countries.  Pretty well-done costuming, and shows them in camp life (including some good pictures of female costume among the wives and sutleresses).

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: A return to the Empire - update (4/10) - Abandoned Gatehouse
« Reply #403 on: October 04, 2020, 01:56:40 PM »
It's been ages since I painted anything for this project and when my lovely wife bought me a Lemax Halloween Gatehouse for my birthday, I knew I had to make this top of my list of things to rework into a wargaming model (you know, so I can still be entitled to get toys from her in the future).

http://whiteknightminiatureimperium.blogspot.com/2020/10/the-abandoned-gatehouse.html

As with most Lemax buildings, this had great potential but needed a little TLC to bring it up to the standards and to remove some of the out of scale bits that tend to feature on them. I'll go into that a bit more below, but first the pictures of the finished gatehouse, which I tried to paint in order to match my earlier buildings in this project.

Some Empire dwarfs are exploring the abandoned gatehouse. Looks like it hasn't been visited in a long while and small scavengers abound, but then who lit those torches? Figures added for scale.

The gatehouse from different angles without figures:

And a comparison between the original model and the modified and repainted one below. I removed the oversized gravestones and skeletons. I did leave one of the skeletons under the arch as it was about the right size. I also got rid of the lighting system, since it couldn't be hidden. I used some plastic bits from a Warhammer fortified mansion to cover the large whole on the side where the switch box was situated. I should have removed the torches as well, since they're a bit big and there are big gobs of hot glue attaching them to the wall, but I didn't want to lose too many of the original building's features, so I kept them on. The building also has moulded on bits of green slime oozing in places. As I didn't quite see how to make that work, I decided to flock them and turn them into overgrown bits. I also used that in a few spots to hide some of the mouldlines that couldn't be removed, the lower body of the model being a type of porcelain.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: A return to the Empire - update (4/10) - Abandoned Gatehouse
« Reply #404 on: October 04, 2020, 02:47:46 PM »
Great re-purposing into a cracking piece of fantasy scenery (as opposed to looking far too much like a toy in it's original form).
The final piece is great!
Wonderful vision.
 8) 8)