Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:34:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

Carolina and the old witches (pierrebi) vs. Thirty Years War Commanders (Captain Blood)

Carolina and the old witches (pierrebi)
10 (3.5%)
Thirty Years War Commanders (Captain Blood)
273 (96.5%)

Total Members Voted: 278

Voting closed: April 04, 2010, 11:36:49 PM

Author Topic: Round 6 - Carolina and the old witches vs. Thirty Years War Commanders  (Read 17816 times)

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Round 6 - Carolina and the old witches vs. Thirty Years War Commanders
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 08:47:42 PM »
I love the colours on the soldiers, but are they realistic? They look too vibrant and synthetic to me. And would they have been wearing purple?

That said, if you were not trying to paint historically realistic, but rather wanted an unique, bueatifully painted and visually stunning army, then fair play, you did a good job!  :o
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 09:07:28 PM »
Tough luck Pierrebi, don't be too hard on yourself there are very few that can match the Captain's work.

Richard: These are absolutely stunning (as always). I have no idea how you manage to get the colours to work that way. I wish I had your confidence, believe me I've tried but I just don't have the nerve to go for that level of contrast.

One question, what did you use for the buff coats. You are the only painter I know who gets them spot on, just the right side of yellow.

Pat

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 10:18:06 PM »
If you were not trying to paint historically realistic, but rather wanted an unique, bueatifully painted and visually stunning army, then fair play, you did a good job!  :o

Thanks - that's about the size of it  ;)

One question, what did you use for the buff coats. You are the only painter I know who gets them spot on, just the right side of yellow.

Cheers Pat. I try to vary the colours a bit on the buff coats, but principally I use either GW 'Snakebite leather' or Inscribe acrylic 'Caramel', with a dash of Vallejo 'Deep Yellow' for the coats with more of a yellowy tinge (I don't know if they're right, but a lot of modern re-enactors coats are stained a real yellow). I use a bit of black to darken the mix for the base coat, and a bit of white to lighten it for the highlights. That's it!  ;)

Offline Maksim-Smelchak

• Bookworm
    • http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 12:56:10 AM »
I love the Baba Yaga mini!
I'm just a happy-go-lucky guy who isn't always so happy or lucky, BUT I try!

Please check out my blog:
http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 09:17:08 PM »
Cheers Pat. I try to vary the colours a bit on the buff coats, but principally I use either GW 'Snakebite leather' or Inscribe acrylic 'Caramel', with a dash of Vallejo 'Deep Yellow' for the coats with more of a yellowy tinge (I don't know if they're right, but a lot of modern re-enactors coats are stained a real yellow). I use a bit of black to darken the mix for the base coat, and a bit of white to lighten it for the highlights. That's it!  ;)

Sorry for the late reply, but just got our power back after nearly three days.

Thanks for the info Richard. Oddly enough I had a bottle of the Caramel I bought ages ago to try on bases. Works a treat for the buff leather. I hadn't tried craft paint on figures before, but very pleasantly surprised. Now all I have to do is pluck up the courage to go for the high contrast on the rest of the figure.

Pat

Offline pierrebi

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 08:00:03 AM »
2012 Ice Skating Figure World Champion