Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:24:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: VSF Asteroid Game  (Read 19639 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: VSF Asteroid Game
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 07:30:25 PM »
The possibilities for fighting on the outside of spaceships etc (as in Star Trek First Contact) are very intriguing. It would make a great "boarding action" game. Have your assaulting forces fight their way in with both external and internal areas of the ship modelled.

It would take a far better modeller than me though  :(

That wouldn't be too hard actually. You could just put a steel sheet under the hull. Or make the hull from steel sheet :)
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Mansworth

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 08:10:18 PM »
Early in my experements I used steel mesh. no good for rugged terrain but good for flat surfaces like a spaceship.

Has to be fine though or models dont stick in the gaps!
Measure Twice
Cut once
Return to DIY store for new bit

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 09:21:01 PM »
Great stuff Rich.

The paint-jobs are a great start. Look forward to seeing the hordes.

Martian empires is quite cheap, I'm tempted by the walkers to use in my 28mm games, but make them new legs!!!  :D

Offline Mansworth

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 11:45:02 AM »

Just finished sculpting the lower half of the astroid. Wont upload a pic now as it looks very much like the last pic, but a bit bigger!

Letting it dry for a few days.

Gonna start working on a few British landers. Part of my concept for the game is the British force have to land on the asteroid and this, by way of a scatter dice, means theirs some randomness to where the british units end up. Bit like 40k deapstrike.

Also need to get some light weight Tripods done, as Black hat's, awsome as they are, may be a bit too much for my magnets to handle.

Also you may be able to advise. This project uses a lot of PVA glue. The cheapest ive found it is Wilkinsons for £6 for 2.5L. Anyone know of anywhere cheaper. B & Q was supringly dear, and Hobbycraft was expensive too. And dont get me started on GW PVA.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 01:09:12 PM »
Bugger Hobbycraft lol!

I might be able to source some from uni for you, when do you need it by and I will have a look.

If we can have 5 litre tubs of Vaseline, I'm sure there's the same of glue!!!

I used to buy 1.5 litre tubes of PVA glue by 'art attack', but it is utter rubbish.

As for the British landers, perhaps you could looks at this for reference? I have just ordered it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aetheric-Mechanics-Warren-Ellis/dp/1592910483/ref=pd_ys_iyr2

You could also contact Steve Blease about what references he is using for 'Astronef', IIRC, he is finding it hard to find any Victorian books on space travel.
Scheltrum do a 28mm aether-lander here:
http://www.scheltrum.co.uk/ironclad.html (Code VSF01)

Perhaps you could base designs on those?

As for the martian walker, I'm not sure how you could do it feasably. But it would have to be VERY light-weight.
Perhaps look out for Packing foam, or shape some polystyrene and use cocktail sticks or plasticard rod for the legs...
In fact, I think plasticard is lighter, especially the hollow stuff.

Hope this helps.  :)

Offline Mansworth

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 01:24:14 PM »

Thanks Rob. If you can get 5 liters of PVa for under £12 i might well be intrested.

I might try and chat to Steve

I was going to base my landers around the style of waterborne diving bells but the configuration of the American Apollo mission (I am a massive space head).

I will try and post some sketches of my lander concepts, But I envisin a round spherical capsule with four squat legs. The propulsion mechanisim will be based around electrostatic engines, partialy because rocketry had not been developed for at least another 20 -30 years, and also because I can draw from Eddisons Conquest of Mars.

As for the walkers your correct that they have to be ultra light. I think drinking straw legs will be a key part of their construction.   

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 01:31:48 PM »
Okay, I'll have a look on Monday. I'm planning on starting work on a few masters I have planned of some 28mm 'nefs to get cast up anyway.

Yeah, the Scheltrum one sounds similar to your idea.

I also just ordered Edison's conquest of Mars.

Was it Edison that was Deaf? It could effect the way he works in the game? I'm not sure if he would have known sign-language... It goes way further back than this period, but I don't know if it was rare or not. I'll ask my dad, he knows a lot about deaf history and in fact, Edison!  :)

Back to the War of the Worlds soundtrack!  :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 03:17:28 PM »

If we can have 5 litre tubs of Vaseline....

The mind boggles....... :o :? lol

Try Screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/57248/Sealants-Adhesives/PVA/PVA-Sealant-Primer/No-Nonsense-PVA-5Ltr

5L for £8.16 - can't be bad  :D

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 09:56:52 PM »
The mind boggles....... :o :? lol

haha

It's for body-moulding and moulding porous objects. If you don't use it, the moulding material will rip out all your hairs!!!  :D

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 07:54:35 AM »
haha

It's for body-moulding and moulding porous objects. If you don't use it, the moulding material will rip out all your hairs!!!  :D

:o I should have kept quiet (as usual)  lol

Offline Mansworth

• Bookworm
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 08:02:46 AM »
It's for body-moulding and moulding porous objects. If you don't use it, the moulding material will rip out all your hairs!!! 

Could be usefull if you wanted a skin wax and cast creation at the same time.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 05:03:19 PM »
Could be usefull if you wanted a skin wax and cast creation at the same time.

Aye, I'm pretty sure there have been a few cases.

A guy wanted to cast his n** in plaster, so he took a pack of the dental rubber (the stuff they use at orthodontists which you bite into) home and when he tried it, he burned himself!!!  lol

What a bunch of silly buggers.  ;D

Offline Mansworth

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 05:16:10 PM »

Cool.

anyhow bringing it back to topic I was thinking of adding a heliograph to the game somehow, assuming the task force would be signaling to either a orbiting spacecraft or earth. May be able to have certain effects in game.

On the subject of orbiting spacecraft, My limited knowlage of period writings suggest that the concept of orbits was not the norm, more point to point like a gun. I think then that the landers will be more like bullets, and ive yet to work out how they would get back. Something important for the latter part of the game!

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 06:19:14 PM »
Unobtanium propulsion engines, enough power to land and return from an Athership, running along cables which have been fired to the surface of the asteroid?

I've just had a brain fart ( ;D), but it would be like a giant version of one of those things you get on ski-runs...

Offline Mansworth

• Bookworm
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2010, 09:53:35 PM »

Good thinking.

May use eddisons electric propulsion, just add a few sparky things to them