Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:09:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: British Sailors  (Read 6147 times)

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
British Sailors
« on: April 07, 2010, 12:34:21 AM »
I am new to VBCW, but the period has captured my imagination. I am thinking of starting a VBCW force of communist rebels from Liverpool- Millitant dock workers and the likes. What do you think? does this fit into teh known background of the period?

I have secured some IRA minis, which are dressed in civilian clothes, to be my communists. I was thinking of adding some sailors, who might have mutanied and joined the rebels in defence of the Liverpool Bolshevic Commune. Are there any nice british sailors from the interwar period (not in tropical uniform)? preferably with some heavy weapons to bolster my commnists.

Alternativly, do you think it is likely that the russians might have sent a small force of sailors ashore to support their comrades in Liverpool? in which case I could use the Copplestone back of beyond range.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: British Sailors
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 03:54:36 AM »
As far as I know and from what I have read so far, your idea for a dockers militia sound spot on.
Same with the Sailors, but sadly I can not think of any sailor mins of the top of my head.
I don't know about any full unites of russians showing up. that being said, I am sure "advisers" and volunteers would not be turned away.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 05:52:24 AM »
The fleet, or parts therof, actually did mutiny in 1931 over drastic pay cuts. Try googling Invergordon Mutiny.  One of the mutineers later  decamped to the Soviet Union, where he ended up doing a 10 year stretch in the gulags. 

I know someone did a range of 28mm RN landing parties for WW2. Not absolutely ideal but they are at least in square rig, '08 webbing and carry SMLEs. You would probably want to swap out the heads as they are all in tin hats.  Someone with less Swiss cheese like grey matter will no doubt supply the name. American company IIRC.

Foundry do RN sailors in their Great War range. First Corps also have an RN sailor in their catalogue. Only the one figure near as I can tell but he is wearing a matelot's cap. Worse comes to worst then use the Copplestone Darkest Africa sailors.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 09:00:17 AM »
I know someone did a range of 28mm RN landing parties for WW2.

Regiment Games. 08 pattern webbing, tin hats, short Lee Enfields, Tommy guns and Brens. Nice figures as it happens. I don't think you'll find anything better suited. If you don't want them in tin hats they are of a suitable size that the Gripping Beast RND separate heads would swap on to them without looking odd.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 12:27:13 PM »
Regiment Games. 08 pattern webbing, tin hats, short Lee Enfields, Tommy guns and Brens. Nice figures as it happens. I don't think you'll find anything better suited. If you don't want them in tin hats they are of a suitable size that the Gripping Beast RND separate heads would swap on to them without looking odd.

I painted them for LPL3:

former user

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 12:30:31 PM »
Pulp figures sells loads of merchant seamen in their savage sea range.
these should do very well for mutinous sailors, and the occasional uniform lookalike can be painted accordingly.

Or is the tin hat conditional for VBCW?  ;)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 01:53:47 PM »

You can also see how Regiment Games figures look like once painted (this time with a basic paint job ;D ) if you scroll down this page;
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=9936.msg116439#msg116439
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 11:16:51 PM »
Not sure that you'd get a lot of mutineers in Liverpool though - it's a long walk from Scapa or Pompey.

Since you're in Brum, have you looked closer to home ?
Somewhere like the Car factories or even Staffordshire potteries ?
Coventry might be a good place for militant union members to rise up - they could have the added bonus of home made armoured cars or even tanks.....
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 11:41:57 PM »
Those Regiment Games sailors look very useful.
How do they scale up to, say Artizan figures?
http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 12:36:46 AM »
Not sure that you'd get a lot of mutineers in Liverpool though - it's a long walk from Scapa or Pompey.

Since you're in Brum, have you looked closer to home ?
Somewhere like the Car factories or even Staffordshire potteries ?
Coventry might be a good place for militant union members to rise up - they could have the added bonus of home made armoured cars or even tanks.....

In brum- but from Liverpool- hence the conection.

Did the RN not dock in Liverpool? If not, I might go down the Artizan/Pulp route and use their nice sailors as merchent seamen. They might look better with my communists that the smarter Regiment games figs.
Perhaps I could always use the Regimental Games RN figs as loyalist Kings men, sent in to the dock yards to restore order?

I know someone did a range of 28mm RN landing parties for WW2. Not absolutely ideal but they are at least in square rig, '08 webbing and carry SMLEs. You would probably want to swap out the heads as they are all in tin hats. 

Why would I have to swop their heads? Were the tin hats not worn in this period?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 01:30:48 AM »
Not bad at all they are a little thinner but not noticable, here are mine mixed around some Brigade merchant men and artizan sailors.

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 02:01:08 AM »
Thanks.
Looks like they'll certainly do.
Nice, atmospheric pic by the way,  :)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 02:12:53 AM »
In brum- but from Liverpool- hence the conection.

Did the RN not dock in Liverpool? If not, I might go down the Artizan/Pulp route and use their nice sailors as merchent seamen. They might look better with my communists that the smarter Regiment games figs.
Perhaps I could always use the Regimental Games RN figs as loyalist Kings men, sent in to the dock yards to restore order?

Why would I have to swop their heads? Were the tin hats not worn in this period?

The RN did dock in Liverpool, that's true. I believe I had a distant relative who was lost aboard HMS Thetis in 1937. That said the main fleet bases were elsewhere so if you are thinking Kronstadt on the Mersey, think again.

I'd swap the tin hats myself, because they wouldn't be the sort of thing, the avererage mutineer of naval deserter would be likely to carry. Maybe one or two dotted amongst them to five a more irregular look but a group all in battle bowlers would look a bit odd IMO.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 03:03:03 AM »

When I first saw them "in the flesh", I thought that they could easily pass for Paul Hicks’ sculpts so I would think that they could work very well with the VBCW figures from musketeers.

former user

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 08:37:43 AM »
very nice street scene, with the off-white knitted wool etc.

very inspirational