Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:37:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Terrain maker looking for input for Cthulhu-esqe accesories  (Read 5940 times)

Offline Prof. Dietrich Hes

• Librarian
Terrain maker looking for input for Cthulhu-esqe accesories
« on: August 02, 2006, 03:09:58 PM »
I've been speaking with the guy I have been buying "Hirst art" blocks from via ebay, and I told him about my project.  He told me that he will be making all sorts of additional bits for use with either the systems he sells, or for adding special bits onto exisiting terrain prjects.  He is particulary interested in making things along the vein of Cthulhu.

He asked for some input for ideas on what to make.  If your not familiar with hirst art product, check them out here:  http://hirstarts.com

I've given him some ideas as well, but if there are things along the lines of Cthulhu type items for terrain you would like to see, list them here and he will monitor the list and perhaps give feedback.

I gave him an idea for a stacking vine system, that way you can make them as tall or short as you would like.  along with a few other things, this would be a good way to see something you would like go into some sort of production.  

I wouldnt mind seeing:
little statues, being careful not to infringe on IP
columns with Cthulhu type runes on them
Blocks with certain signs scratched into them
the vine system
a gateway, or cavern entrance with the Cthulhu feel to it
special monoliths

thoughts or ideas?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 03:25:57 PM »
Cool! I would like to see something like this entrance:
http://www.backofbeyond.de/gallery_cultists.html
With Cthulhu and Tsuthoggua!

maybe a whole little temple? Tentacle roof.... :D

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 03:48:00 PM »
Prof.
  there are a few peices along those lines in the Egyptian range:

http://wyrmcast.freelinuxhost.com/Kits00.html#Roman

so all you need are the proper staues, and your done.

I'm using hte wrymcast site for reference as the HA site is very slow on loading.

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 04:38:16 PM »
Monolith has some very ncie relifs in their giant walls or gothic horror range. Can't remember the catalouge details, just look around on their site a bit.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 02:07:45 AM »
Pieces using non-euclidian geometry would be interesting if impractical...
"It's only a flesh wound...."

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 02:30:15 AM »
Etranger,
  Are you refering to the pieces themselves or some sort of specific setup?  I've experimented with a few pieces by cutting them or adding to them to make odd shapes.  the problem is they have to be specific sets as utilizing these in other setups ruins the measurements.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 04:06:25 AM »
Quote from: "Prof. Dietrich Hes"
Etranger,
  Are you refering to the pieces themselves or some sort of specific setup?  I've experimented with a few pieces by cutting them or adding to them to make odd shapes.  the problem is they have to be specific sets as utilizing these in other setups ruins the measurements.

I wasn't thinking of anything specific, more just musing out aloud. Lovecraft sometimes makes great play about the disorienting effect of the non-human architecture encountered in some of his stories & I guess it's a question of how does one capture that unworldliness.

Probably odd shaped openings, unusual dimensions to structures, (eg giant sized steps) & a general air of great age would contribute to the atmosphere. I'm familiar with the Hirst Arts 'kit of parts' approach, although I don't have any of their products (yet!)

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 02:56:45 PM »
Etranger,
  while I dont htink the concept would be practical for making blocks for, have your tried doing paper buidlings in this manner?  I could imagine making a multi-media kit for this.  Modify the walls to go from tall to short or some sort of ciurve and then add bits and such to the walls to give it definition.  This is giving me a weird idea, and I might have to try it tonight.

and you should give the blocks a try.  they are alot of fun, but be warned, they are very (VERY) addicitve!

Offline fathernye

• Lurker
rL'YeH - a Kit IN tHe mAkiNg
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 05:42:43 PM »
It seems like Statues, Bas-Wall Reliefs and Cyclopean, Non-Euclidean Geometry are the things that a miniaturist might want for the lairs of the Elder Gods and their minions.

Since investigators would first pierce the veil by peeling back the shadows hiding a cultists lair, maybe it would be better to start with the Statues and Bas Wall Reliefs?
WyrmCast Models
wyrmcast.freelinuxhost.com

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: rL'YeH - a Kit IN tHe mAkiNg
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 06:50:02 PM »
Quote from: "fathernye"
It seems like Statues, Bas-Wall Reliefs and Cyclopean, Non-Euclidean Geometry are the things that a miniaturist might want for the lairs of the Elder Gods and their minions.

Since investigators would first pierce the veil by peeling back the shadows hiding a cultists lair, maybe it would be better to start with the Statues and Bas Wall Reliefs?

And columns!   that would give a chance to build a temple

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 08:44:24 PM »
As long as assembly and painting leads on to madness, I think anything would be suitable.
I do all my own stunts

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 10:59:12 PM »
Quote from: "Prof. Dietrich Hes"
Etranger,
  ..... and you should give the blocks a try.  they are alot of fun, but be warned, they are very (VERY) addicitve!

Its all on the list for one day - I've got a local source for Hydrocal & those HA models look very tempting.

It should be possible to make moulds for all sorts of shapes for 'one-off' projects - its a matter of time & effort, neither of which I have a whole lot of right now!  :cry:

Offline fathernye

• Lurker
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 01:50:30 PM »
I've had a suggestion for a system of vines and I had a thought. What about a system of interlocking tentacles that crawl across floors and up walls? As long as they were of 2 or 3 standard circumferences, it could be done.

Would this be something that anyone would be interested in seeing in the near future as a set?