Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:34:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690718
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The humble beginnings of my Pulp Project  (Read 7309 times)

Offline Loukianos

• Student
The humble beginnings of my Pulp Project
« on: June 02, 2007, 10:19:37 AM »
my first finished mini for my brand new Pulp project;miniature from Artizan; painting scheme for the shirt copied from the super talented Steve Dean. I have little clue as to how to photograph minis so this might look a little crude but there you go. Suggestions that would improve my painting(or photography for the matter) gratefully received.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 10:38:12 AM »
very nice painting job, Loukianos! I think, he could need some highlights on red

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 11:06:56 AM »
Very nice. :)  perhaps you could try photographing against a white or pale blue background.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Loukianos

• Student
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 12:07:46 PM »
thank you very much indeed for the feedback guys; you are being too kind though. I have done most of my painting on 15s and I can see that the way I do my shadows/highlights while superb for 15s is way too harsh for the 28mm scale.
With the particular mini I am satisfied with the white of the suit, the shoes have turned out nice and I am well chuffed with the shirt. However, the fez is not very well done(you are right Professor; it needs something more; I might start the fez over but this time possibly the first coat will be a lighter red. This time I used Scab red mixed with black, highlighted with scab red and scab red with bleached bone mixes. I might start will Vallejo red highlighting with Vermillion? In any case it needs correction).
I am also seriously displeased with the way I do my flesh in 28mm. I need serious improvement in that department as it lets the whole mini down.
Will try a white background Malamute; I am currently painting the second of the three Artizan minis in fez, the one they call Rashid on their website, so when I finish him I will take a pic of him with a white page in the background. Cheers
Anyways here is my first piece of my Pulp terrain; an Arabic tomb from Hovels. It is a bit small for 28mm but it is very nice so I couldn't resist getting it and painting it.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 01:42:53 PM »
Excellent building. Even if you feel it's small, that's okay. Not every tomb is going to be for the Grand Vizier. A minor official could have been buried with a rare artifact that everyone is after.

It think the tomb will look perfect in a small desert oasis.

Can't wait to see what you use for its guardian.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 01:53:50 PM »
Looks like you are starting a fine collection there. Where so the palm trees come from?
Hey and don't bee too ultracritical of your painitng style, I think alot of people would be pleased with that effort. Me included :)

Offline Loukianos

• Student
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
Malamute I am afraid I don't remember which company manufactures the palm trees in question. I bought them a couple of years ago from my local model railway trains shop which has a huge variety of trees, bushes etc. Tell you what in a couple of weeks at most I intend to pay a visit to the particular shop because I am running out of white glue plus I need some hedges. I will ask about these and will get back to you, I promise. What I do remember is that they were not cheap at all. I think I paid 14 Euros for two trees.

Offline Loukianos

• Student
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 08:38:27 AM »
the second of the Artizan minis in fez :D

Offline Cyano

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 11:10:22 AM »
I like it!

It'd like to see a photo at a lower angle, ie not looking down on it, but taken 'straight ahead' - if you see what I mean ?

Offline Loukianos

• Student
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 12:20:06 PM »
good suggestion Cyano;cheers. 8)  Better?

edit note: I deleted the images I posted here(so as not to take up space and clutter the thread) as Cyano was kind enough to properly crop them in the next post.

Offline Cyano

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 02:12:04 PM »
Thanks, that's much better !

Painting looks good, lovely whites.

Next thing I'd do is 'crop' the picture so it was just the mini showing and most of the background taken away.

:wink:

Offline Loukianos

• Student
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 07:30:10 AM »
many thanks Cyano; you are most kind :) .

I have only had the digital camera for a couple of weeks now and no tripod or dedicated lighting plus no experience with messing with images in photoshop. At first I tried cropping them with the Paint program in Windows but I had to use stretch/skew first to manage to select the figures themselves and that tended to distort the images very much. I also tried Photoshop 3 which my best mate had but it was very heavy for my pc(it took AGES for it to open or to do anything-pentium 2,66 with 768 RAM). I will try an earlier edition. Thanks again.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 05:54:50 PM »
Looking good so far :)  What other figures are you planning to add?

Offline Loukianos

• Student
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 07:42:47 PM »
well next up and currently under the brush is the third of the blokes in fez that Artizan makes, Osman I think they call him on their website.
These three together with the short/fat/with glasses/in fez archaeologist from Copplestone will form the nucleus of my first party. To them I will add six 'grunts'/extras but I have not decided 100% on what they will be.(I will be using Gaslight so units will be 10 figs each.). Up to now the way I am thinking of it these 4 guys are a secret society dedicated to guarding the secrets of the pharaohs and their role is to stop the various archaeological teams from digging them up. The short archaeologist from Copplestone is also the curator at the Egyptian Museum of antiquities in Cairo while secretly a member of this secret society. So any suggestions for what to use for the six grunts/extras?
Other teams will include a German, a British, an American and a Russian archaeological team(the premise is that we are between the two world wars and every nation is sending teams to discover the secrets of the pharaos so that they might turn them into weapons-not original I know but I have always loved Indiana Jones :) ) Also one more team will be comprised of British sailors to come to the ubiquitous rescue. Finally a unit or two of Arabs using the Brigade Arabs.
All in all I am planning for 8-9 units/parties each played by a different player or with each player playing two.
Any comments/suggestions/ideas most welcome.

Offline Loukianos

• Student
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 07:44:22 PM »
apologies for the sloppy grammar/syntax but I am writing this in a hurry :oops: