Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:01:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 728
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Water Dragons and Sea Devils  (Read 21588 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Water Dragons and Sea Devils
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2007, 09:31:35 AM »
Wussy little bomber!

Enough with the spamming, welcome to the forum!

@Topic:

Hot damn! Now I´m hard pressed with the junk!

Offline fatgoblin

• Scientist
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2007, 09:40:22 AM »
off topic.....   sorry!

Many chinese pugilist custom make extreme weapons that takes advantage of their strength, or at least mythologically they did.  This was not only to make them better fighters but were quite often used to make them out as unique and help them to win fame.  

Striding into a duel with twin maraccas of death and onlookers will go "look!  Its Twin Iron Balls Chen of Hebei!"  

You have to realise as well that chinese martial arts in the past emphasised internal strength that can multiply your strength beyond what you would think human muscles can produce (hence the smashing holes in brick walls)

More so than farming tools, a lot of academic/nobility equiments were transformed into weapons to show the cultivation of the user as both proficient in combat as well as being well educated.  Things like a brush (which was used as a writing instrument), abacus, fan, flute, and just about any other musical instruments they could get their hands on (they believed that the internal strength of the pugilist could be transfered into the weapon not only to produce explosive attacking power but also to protect it from harm when struck against steel weapons).

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2007, 09:42:28 AM »
That's not an aeroplane, it's a golf driving range!  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Banderium

• Librarian
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
Thank you all,
well, in fact I live only a few kilometers from the old airplane factory Caproni   :)   in the middle of the Po valley. But I'm not going to scratch build a big Caproni bomber to be used for a pulp scenario in 28mm. I'm not so crazy! At least, not again... even if the figures are still painted. But only because this is the swashbucklink part of the forum and it's of topic  :lol:

Offline BlueWeasel

• Assistant
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2008, 09:14:24 PM »
Hi, I'm new and trying to catch up fast with the dozens of miniature lines
floating around that cover swashbuckling.

Foundry's China section is 'offline'.  Does anyone have a set of pictures that
could help me order from this line? Wouldn't mind seeing the War of 1812
stuff either for that matter.

Thanks!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2008, 07:59:12 AM »
Quote from: "Grimm"
Hhmmmm... I diden´t like the skin color but after all they are good painted miniatures .

Do you think they are too dark? Chinese skin come in many hues (as du caucasian), and I think those have the right colour for 'South China Seas'. If you go up north, or to Korea, I think the skin should be much closer to caucasian, but with a brownish/yellowish hue... I could be wrong, of course...  :roll:
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2008, 08:04:37 AM »
Where can I buy this???

EDIT: OK, a simple Googling... €84,90!!!  :x   - I know it's a big set, but this is GW-culous...

Another edit: Here they claim the scale to be 1/244:

http://www.yatego.com/modellbau-seidel/p,473a089ad01a0,4417fa4c6b2cc8_8,chengho-sailing-ship--l%C3%A4nge-60cm---1-244

Quote from: "hammershield"
By the way, Professor, did you see this junk kit?:

While with its 1/60 scale it is on the small side it is not always noticable. A plastic kit is also often easy convert where there are obvious scale problems as in portholes, doors etc...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2008, 11:57:03 AM »
At 60cm it can't really be 1/244, can it? It would be 150 meters long, which is, what?, 500 foot? Sounds very long for a medeival junk.

At 1/60 it would be 36 meters or something like 120 foot.

A 60cm playing piece would sit proudly on the gamingtable mefinks.

Offline Super_Gibbon

• Scientist
    • Steel City Supers
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2008, 02:49:38 PM »
Those pirates are so fricking cool. I'm behind the times so thanks to those that resurrected this thread.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2008, 08:54:42 PM »
At 60cm it can't really be 1/244, can it? It would be 150 meters long, which is, what?, 500 foot? Sounds very long for a medeival junk.

I have here cut/pasted a text from here:

http://superbox.at/chinese-chengho-sailing-ship-trumpeter-p-2966.html

-----------------------
Chengho, the name of an ancient Chinese nautical voyager during the Ming Dynasty (1372-1435), was originally a court eunuch. Under an imperial edict in 1405 to contact Western civilizations, Chengho led a sailing team to conduct seven ocean voyages between 1405 to 1430. With the guidance of nautical astronomy, their voyages crossed the Southwest Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, reached the coasts of what is now Southeast Asia then continued by crossing the Arabian Sea to Southern and Eastern Africa. More than 30 countries were visited over a 28 year time period. Chengho’s sailing was the first recorded ocean voyage in ancient China and, quite possibly, in the history of the world. Chengho’s vessel was the flagship of his large sailing team. According to books of Ming history, his ship was 44 zhang (A Chinese measuring unit which equals about 3.33 meters) in length and 10 zhang in width. It had 9 masts and 12 sails. This model kit is made in 60cm size scale.

44 times 3.33 metres: 146,52.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2008, 11:28:10 PM »
Quote from: "Argonor"

I have here cut/pasted a text from here:

http://superbox.at/chinese-chengho-sailing-ship-trumpeter-p-2966.html

-----------------------
Chengho, the name of an ancient Chinese nautical voyager during the Ming Dynasty (1372-1435), was originally a court eunuch. Under an imperial edict in 1405 to contact Western civilizations, Chengho led a sailing team to conduct seven ocean voyages between 1405 to 1430. With the guidance of nautical astronomy, their voyages crossed the Southwest Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, reached the coasts of what is now Southeast Asia then continued by crossing the Arabian Sea to Southern and Eastern Africa. More than 30 countries were visited over a 28 year time period. Chengho’s sailing was the first recorded ocean voyage in ancient China and, quite possibly, in the history of the world. Chengho’s vessel was the flagship of his large sailing team. According to books of Ming history, his ship was 44 zhang (A Chinese measuring unit which equals about 3.33 meters) in length and 10 zhang in width. It had 9 masts and 12 sails. This model kit is made in 60cm size scale.

44 times 3.33 metres: 146,52.

That's a big honkin' boat, that is! Any truth to it or is it just an old myth?

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2008, 11:42:25 PM »
S'truth. The Chinese would have been a world naval power if they hadn't been going through one of their utterly insensible Ultra-Confuscian stages, and they decided that sailing out of sight of land should be punishable by death.

Once again, history is stranger than any fiction ever written.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2008, 02:03:05 AM »
Go to the library and see if there is a copy of Gavin Menzies' book "1421: the Year China Discovered America."  He can't prove his points, but he does describe the parts of Ming naval expeditions in the Indian Ocean which are well recorded.  The Chinese were building ships that were incredibly huge and they were sailing long distances to the east coast of Africa, and possibly further.  The expedition to Africa was called "The Star Raft" and was conducted with such a large fleet that it boggles the mind.  Believe what you want about whether the Ming fleets made it to America  :wink:
Sailors have more fun!