Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:18:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Turkish Field Guns in Palestine  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Turkish Field Guns in Palestine
« on: June 05, 2007, 01:33:47 PM »
Anybody got any clues as to colours? The Osprey is no use as it seems to only describe the uniforms. I would look at my copy of "The Lighthorsemen" but can't seem to find it.

I did however find this pic of one captured by the ANZACs:

Reckon that's the original paint, or do you think it's been redone at some point?

Ta if anyone can help. I'll probably have to go to TMP but I'd rather stay here if at all possible.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 02:02:17 PM »
That’s actually a german 1915 Model Krupp 77mm M96 field gun. I don’t think, the Turkish army would have repainted them and the manufacturing color was as far as I know a sort of grey or dark grey-green. I’d say that color on the photo works, just weather-beaten version.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 02:23:46 PM »

Quote from: "Prof.Witchheimer"
... just weather-beaten version.

No shit? ;-)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 03:59:36 PM »
Cool. That's good enough for me, Prof. I was hesitating over whether to give it a sand colour scheme or not. I did know it was a German gun. I have the Battle Honours "Turkish" gun set, and am thinking about painting it this week. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same gun, but it is very similar.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 06:19:17 PM »
just checked my Young Indiana Jones video "Palestine, October 1917"

The guns  are painted in sand scheme. No idea if that serial is a reliable source. I can imagine there were both color schemes to find in Palestine

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 06:24:53 PM »
Aha! That'll be the same footage they used from the movie "The Lighthorsemen" in that episode. The very source I was looking for and couldn't find in my mess of a VHS collection.

I think I'll go with the grey/green actually. It's rather nice and will contrast with the sand terrain.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 06:33:23 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
I think I'll go with the grey/green actually. It's rather nice and will contrast with the sand terrain.

seconded. And you could use the guns for the western front.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 10:31:40 PM »
Hi The Turks didn't have much time to repaint most of the German war material, however, the captured Serbian guns (French made 75 mm) would have retained their original colour. A Grey-Green is good colour for applying to the artillery piece.The Germans provided both German made 75 mm and 77 mm guns. Notwithstanding larger calibre and the Austrians with their contributions in war material to the Turks.

I do have some in the sandy-brown colour. By the way the Aussies captured Italian made70 mm Model 1902 mountain guns from the Turks at Magdhaba 23 Dec 1916. Checkout Askaris miniatures. Also look at the Krupp mountain gun from the same company.

The Battle-Honours artillery piece is a nice gun, but be careful of the sight as it is brittle and can easly break without too much effort.

A good book if you are interested "War Trophies" From the First world War 1914-1918 by Major RS Billett.

God Bless

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 10:57:31 PM »
I take my hat off, just admire your knowledge of WW1, Helen  :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 08:30:01 AM »
Helen is the tops when it comes to this field of knowledge. Cheers. Thanks for the tip about the sight too, though I had already noticed how precarious it was.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 10:33:23 PM »
Thanks guys for your lovely comments. My knowledge comes through knowing fab people on the net and with a plethora of books and having a passion for the period.

It also assists living in Canberra and having the War Memorial just up the road and able to do research or actually look at the trophies themsevles.

Of interest, the paint schemes shown on trophies may not be the original colour scheme photographed. With our extreme climatic conditions here in Australia the majority of war trophies displayed outdoors have been repainted in whatever colour is available or simply left to fade away. The War memorial is quite different.

Seeing the restoration area of the War Memorial annex some ways from the War Memorial the team there undertake to restore all trophies to its original condition. Hence I can without doubt peruse through the War Memorial knowing I see everything as it would appear back then.

The next two years are going to be great  for the Great War buffs as the War Memorial undertakes the displays for the years 1917 and 1918 periods of the Great War - Including an original Pfalz (the only one left in the world with original parts).

The Great War and the Sideshows of the Great War including the RCW period are looking brighter than ever for folks interested in collecting and gaming this period.

God Bless

Helen