Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:39:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: for the Britons: Colours of Anglican vestments?  (Read 3654 times)

Offline Fortescue-Smythe

• Bookworm
    • http://www.kaperbrief.net
for the Britons: Colours of Anglican vestments?
« on: June 05, 2007, 04:49:50 PM »
Just got my Hell Dorado Occidentaux box, and I was agonising over how to paint them. My reasoning so far runs as follows: got to paint that gipsy girl with red hair and a green dress, 'cos you can't go witchier that that. Which leaves me with green as the unifying colour for my company.
All well and good, but the company has spiritual guidance in the shape of this feller, whose paintscheme I do find singularily uninspired.

And not at all green.
Now, I vaguely rememer that C of E clerics/priest/whatever you call the fellers on the pulpit have ceremonial vestments in bright green, white and gold. Does memory serve me right, here, or is that just my senility kicking in? Because if they do, my company is going to represent Albion's bold foray into the nether realms, for fun, profit and general Lord Flashheart-ishness.
Incidentally, if anyone's got a picture, that would be just grand.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 06:04:28 PM »
If memory serves they usually dress mostly in white, but that scarf thing around their neck is sometimes green and/or gold. The capes or shawl-type things they sometimes wear seem to come in just about any colour..

But I'm afraid that chap has nothing about him that says "Anglican Vicar." He looks like he's from the Spanish Inquisition or something. He has way too much of a whiff of Popery to him to pass as Church of England.

When's this set, anyway? If it's meant to be the time of the Spanish Conquest of the New World then England was Catholic then anyway, so Anglicanism don't come into it.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 06:14:36 PM »
I´ve heard that it is 30YW, with Magdeburg becoming a gate to hell after one of the sackings... curious, that, I always thought Ingolstadt deserved that honour. What with Purgatory et al.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 06:38:34 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
He looks like he's from the Spanish Inquisition or something.

I didnt expect the Spanish Inquisition!

.......Cardinal, the comfy chair!!  :twisted:
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 11:10:01 PM »
You do get some very "high church" Anglicans who happily wave burning handbags.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Fortescue-Smythe

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 09:24:25 AM »
Yep, 30YW after the famous sack of Magdeburg in 1631, so it would be the late 1630s, I reckon.
Pity about the 'whiff of popery' (nicely put), as that would mean I couldn't deviate too much from the black, purple and scarlet pallette. Or do you think that he might pass as a Jesuit? He might look nice in orange robes.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 09:51:37 AM »
He certainly looks like my (Protestant-biased) image of a Jesuit! But I have no idea what a real one looks like. :)

Actually "High Church" C of E is the closest thing to being Catholic without actually being Catholic, so I say if you want him to be an Anglican then go for it. During the 17th Century lots of Anglican Churches were smashed up by angry mobs for being too "Popish." Folks would take axes to the statues and paintings. So in that time frame Anglicans can be either very Catholic-looking if traditionalist, or the other extreme and very austere and plain. It was a time of great upheaval and change. So go for your life and make him what you like, I say.

Offline Fortescue-Smythe

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 01:02:24 PM »
Right, so 'high curch' C o f E he's going to be. It's not as if hell is a historical setting anyway.  :)
Thanks for the input.