Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:45:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690331
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WAB2 is here!  (Read 7955 times)

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
WAB2 is here!
« on: April 21, 2010, 07:03:02 PM »
It's finally here and I'm happy as can be! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Warhammer Ancient Battles Second Edition Available at Salute 2010

Warhammer Historical is proud to announce that the long-awaited second edition of our hugely popular Warhammer Ancient Battles rulebook will be released soon. It will be available only direct from Warhammer Historical but copies will be available from the Warhammer Historical Stand at Salute 2010.

This lavish new edition is extensively illustrated with a plethora of diagrams, artwork and photographs of painted models, as you can see from these sample pagespreads here and here.

This new edition also features a selection of new special rules covering the unique doctrines, cultures and weaponry of ancient times in order to add even greater depth and enjoyment to your games. Warhammer Ancient Battles Second Edition also features fully revised army lists for Romans and Barbarians, and a selection of sample army rosters from across the ancients periods, from the Egyptians of the New Kingdom to the Crusaders.

This full colour large format 216 page hardback book features a fully updated and extensively revised set of rules for playing the epic battles of the ancient world and will be priced at £32.

some pics:
http://www.warhammer-historical.com/Spreads/WABspr.html

Cheers
Christopher

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: WAB2 is here!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 08:08:10 PM »
About bloody time, if I had the patiance I'd go back to the WAB forum, but I think I'll just for a year for the dust to settle agan  lol

I'm hoping my Sanada Maru board is in there but the photos were taken before Rob got made redundant so it's looking doubtfull  :(

I've still got my Samurai, Normans, Vikings and my Rehged army waiting in the wings  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
And already people are bemoaning the fact that it's £32...

SO WHAT!!!

How much have people spent on lead that never EVER gets used or even looked at again. It will be a high quality hardbacked full colour book that people will get years and years of gaming out of.

For a book of this type, how much would a similar type go for in Waterstones etc??

I'll be getting mine on Saturday  :D

cheers

James

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 08:43:29 PM »
If the quality is like the other WAB, then 32quid is quite reasonable. Does anyone know of a link to a overview of rules changes, I've been keeping an eye out on the WAB forum, but don't seem to have noticed one, but it'd be nice to get an idea of things.

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 09:56:19 PM »
if I had the patiance I'd go back to the WAB forum

I know and you need to report back in James! :)

Insert Quote

And already people are bemoaning the fact that it's £32...

SO WHAT!!!

How much have people spent on lead that never EVER gets used or even looked at again. It will be a high quality hardbacked full colour book that people will get years and years of gaming out of.

For a book of this type, how much would a similar type go for in Waterstones etc??

Here,here!I'll second that thought! ;)

If the quality is like the other WAB, then 32quid is quite reasonable. Does anyone know of a link to a overview of rules changes, I've been keeping an eye out on the WAB forum, but don't seem to have noticed one, but it'd be nice to get an idea of things.

Just a few rumors here and there as they have held things tight to the vest,but I would recommend wide frontage as units will get wider as rank bonuses shrink from 3 to 2.This is useful tidbit of information for army building. :)
Everything will come out very shortly with discussions on rules once released. ;)

Cheers
Christopher

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 09:58:55 PM »
I'd heard that they were widening units, but looking at the sample spreads and the illustrations (particularly the third page shown), units seem to be only 5 models wide.

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 10:04:03 PM »
That's a diagram.I suggest looking at the presentation battle on the last page. ;) Without being 100% sure as I don't have a copy in front of me,I think my information is accurate. :)Of course I could be wrong,but..... :)

Cheers
Christopher

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 07:26:49 AM »
Frontage is the key and I fortunately managed to have a game at the begining of last year (but had to keep shtum). There are some flank changes, 180 frontage as opposed to 45 either side, slight moral modification which seemed to run more smoothly. The down side was we were playing with AOA samurai, so a balanced game was never in the offing.

There are more diagrams explaining things aswell and in certain situations there is less left to the imagination.

I know and you need to report back in James!  :)

Already have done  ;)

cheers

Jaems

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 08:37:16 AM »
That's a diagram.I suggest looking at the presentation battle on the last page. ;) Without being 100% sure as I don't have a copy in front of me,I think my information is accurate. :)Of course I could be wrong,but..... :)

Cheers
Christopher
That sounds good, shieldwalls 5 wide but 4 deep just looks wrong!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 08:40:11 AM »
I've just agreed to do a Spartan force for some Greek City state battles....... good god, I'm going to be outnumbered....
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 10:02:38 AM »
I've just agreed to do a Spartan force for some Greek City state battles....... good god, I'm going to be outnumbered....

Yes you will,but Spartans are hard as nails,so don't count yourself out. ;)

Frontage is the key and I fortunately managed to have a game at the begining of last year (but had to keep shtum). There are some flank changes, 180 frontage as opposed to 45 either side, slight moral modification which seemed to run more smoothly. The down side was we were playing with AOA samurai, so a balanced game was never in the offing.

There are more diagrams explaining things aswell and in certain situations there is less left to the imagination.

Already have done  ;)

cheers

Jaems

Oh really,you have a lot of connections it appears. ;)

I saw you posted on WAB and welcome back. :)

Cheers
Christopher

Offline dm

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 09:21:55 PM »
Very tempted :) but will it make all the supliments redundant ???

Will be getting a set for my birthday in June has a self present :)

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 10:51:28 PM »
Very tempted :) but will it make all the supliments redundant ???

Will be getting a set for my birthday in June has a self present :)

from what I've read the mechanics remain the same, they've added some tweaks and clarified a couple of situations, but the rest I think it remains the same. from what I've read the current lists are still "oficial" whatever that means :)
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 08:25:57 AM »
All supplements are still usable with the new rules and as far as I can gather (I've got the rules and scimmed over them) it's a lot 'tighter' than it used to be.

cheers

James

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 09:06:17 AM »
Having now had a quick look, it doesn't seem to make any supplements redundant.

My main criticism is that there isn't a Greek list in the book. There are now two companies coming out with nice looking plastic Greek Hoplites and several new metal ranges, yet there is no army list available for the Greeks in WAB....