Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:23:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686460
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Axles & Alloys II: Game Report and Pics  (Read 9892 times)

Offline Maniacus

• Bookworm
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
Axles & Alloys II: Game Report and Pics
« on: April 29, 2010, 03:06:35 AM »
My gaming group recently discovered Axles and Alloys II, the free-to-download new version of the automotive combat game (available here: http://axlesalloys2.blogspot.com/ ).  This beer and pretzels style game seemed like the perfect opportunity to convert a few Hot Wheels and Matchbox scale cars and enjoy some mindless automotive destruction.  Think high speed demolition derby with guns, missile launchers, ram plates, oil slicks, and other nasty surprises.

We’ve had a lot of fun converting and painting our growing collection of cars and recently had the chance to run our first Axles and Alloys game a local convention. 

For this event we grouped the vehicles into their respective classes (light, medium, and heavy) and then let each player choose their own.  When new players turned up during the event or when a player’s vehicle was destroyed they simply chose a new one and drove on from a random board edge the next turn.

Everyone had a good time speeding around the board shooting at each other, blowing stuff up, and trying not to crash into things or go out of control.

Below are a few pictures from the event.

The selection of heavy vehicles.

The selection of medium vehicles.

The selection of light vehicles.

The V8 Interceptor pulls up behind the Rock Shocker and lines up a deadly burst from its gatling cannon.

Red Menace, a light vehicle, tries to drive circles around everyone else.  “Speed is life.”

A Mustang Fastback rumbles forward to join the melee.

Bumblebee lays down a series of spike strips for its pursuers.

Bumblebee blasts the gatling cannon off the hood of the V8 Interceptor as it bears down on the Mustang.

Seeing a potential target dead ahead the “Deth Wagon” accelerates and rams into Bumblebee, sending it out of control.

The Evil Clown Ice Cream truck hits its nitro and races up behind the Mustang in an attempt to bring its flame thrower to bear.

Gouts of flame from the flame thrower engulf the Mustang and destroy it, killing the driver.

Red Menace attempts to make a tight corner but the driver fails his skid test and crashes and burns in the boulder field.

An overview of the aftermath.

More pictures of this event can be found here:
http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w286/Terrain-Specialties/Other%20Events/Ares%20Con/Ares%20Con%202010/Axles%20and%20Alloys/

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:18:38 PM by Maniacus »
There's a time for joking around and a time to be serious; this is not one of them.

-------------------------------------------------

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
Re: Axles & Alloys II: Game Report and Pics
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 03:40:01 AM »
Nice looking game.  I really like the ice cream truck.  Reminds of me of game I used to play on the console that had an ice cream truck... can't remember the name of the game though.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 05:14:46 AM »
Cool!

I've been doing something similar but inspired by "Wings of War" instead.

Where did you get the weapons for the cars? I used what the guns from Mech Warrior plastic things. But that's not the most effective way of getting weapons... and they're not that cool. 
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 06:48:25 AM »
Can't beat post-apoc car wars. How long did it take for the game to play out?

Nice looking game.  I really like the ice cream truck.  Reminds of me of game I used to play on the console that had an ice cream truck... can't remember the name of the game though.

Twisted Metal maybe?

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:48:53 AM »
Reminds of me of game I used to play on the console that had an ice cream truck... can't remember the name of the game though.

Carmageddon?

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 08:54:27 AM »
Carmageddon?

Mariokart?  ;D

Really nice cars, looks a fun game.

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 11:26:48 AM »
Twisted Metal maybe?

That's the one!  Thanks.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 01:25:06 PM »

Thats a cool looking game  :-*

Post-apocalyptic car racing in miniature is one of those things that I cant really get enough of :)

Offline Maniacus

• Bookworm
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 04:47:07 PM »
Where did you get the weapons for the cars? I used what the guns from Mech Warrior plastic things. But that's not the most effective way of getting weapons... and they're not that cool. 

We got the weapons from a number of sources and started out by rummaging through our bits boxes.  For the most part they are made from:

*Stan Johansen 20mm post apocalyptic vehicle weapon packs (from: http://www.stanjohansenminiatures.com/ )
*Plastic Ork vehicle guns and turrets from Epic 40K
*Converted and non-converted 40K weapons (i.e. lasguns, bolters, flamers)
*15mm WWII machine guns and various cannons and anti-tank guns.
*Some Battletech missile pods and small turrets.

We also used pasticard to add armor plating to the cars and also used window screen to add mesh “netting” to windows.  It’s fun converting Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars and at about only $1 US per vehicle its cost effective too!

One of the players also mentioned that it reminded him of the game “Twisted Metal”.  The clown head on the top of the ice cream truck comes from a HorrorClix figure, so it has a nice menacing look to it which suits the vehicle well.  I couldn’t resist modeling a flame thrower onto that vehicle as it seemed like the perfect weapon for an evil ice cream truck.

Can't beat post-apoc car wars. How long did it take for the game to play out?

We ran the event for about 2-3 hours total, with some walk-up players joining in as time went along.  We’ll definitely run this again at future conventions and I think it would fit well into anything from a 2 to 4 hour time slot.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:21:08 PM by Maniacus »

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 05:48:40 PM »
Brilliant! I have Dark Future, but have always been frustrated by the confines of the track. It looks like Axles and Alloys solves that problem, so I'm off to download it right now!

Before I do, though, I have to say it - those cars look AMAZING! Nice conversions, beautiful paint-jobs, the whole enchilada. They make me want to take out all the matchbox and hot wheels cars I picked up for Dark Future and get painting! In fact.... (disappears to rummage around in closet for die-cast cars)
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani