Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:03:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Any one written their own expansions for LotOW?  (Read 8965 times)

Offline admiraldick

• Librarian
Any one written their own expansions for LotOW?
« on: April 30, 2010, 09:50:27 AM »
whilst it has its faults, i'm a big fan of the Legends of the Old West game. and i think its a crying shame that Mark Latham's called it a day on writing new supplements for the game, particularly considering that it seems to be the Western game of choice for most players. its spurred me to try and write my own supplements for the book, condensing some of the nebulous ideas i've had into new expansions. i've moved recently and don't have regular opponents, which makes rules writing very slow going, but i hope to produce a Legends of the Weird West book (based mostly on weird western movies and covering large beasts, vehicles, new equipment like a Windigo Spirit, new scenarios like Escape from the Zombies, a new posse in the form of Martian Adventurers and various hired guns) and a Legends of the World West (which i far less well formulated in my head, but would look to emulate situations similar to the Old West in other regions of the world, such as the European colonization of Australia and New Zealand and cattle ranching in Thailand).

but i'd like to hear whether the game has inspired any of you to write your own supplements, invent new posses and/or equipment, or try and adjust the setting to foreign climbs? 

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Any one written their own expansions for LotOW?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 09:55:19 AM »
Well since you ask I use it for my Zorro Games and it works very well, lots of fame and fortune points for the old gay blade himself and inept shooting from Sargento Garcia seems to work perfectly.
Haven't really had the need to tinker with the rules too much, but woudl liek to develop them for Gothic Horror though.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 11:44:36 AM »
My friend Lee and I wrote an F&I adaptation which used to be available through the Yahoo group.

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 01:47:37 PM »
My friend Lee and I wrote an F&I adaptation which used to be available through the Yahoo group.

Aaron please , which group is it? I'm interested too.
Piero

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 03:08:04 PM »
It was the LotOW Yahoo group. I haven't been a member for ages so I'm not sure if they are still up there or not. I still have the files though, I'll PM you.

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 03:12:37 PM »
It was the LotOW Yahoo group. I haven't been a member for ages so I'm not sure if they are still up there or not. I still have the files though, I'll PM you.

many thanks
Piero

Offline Flockalicious

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 03:49:30 PM »
I used it (and The Rules With No Name) to develop a kid friendly ruleset (a few d6s, no modifiers, multiple card decks for determining any and all results), for use in getting my kids interested in tabletop wargaming. 

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 09:14:27 PM »
Adapting it slowly but surely to use for Firrefly/Serenity, although 'adapting' is a pretty loose description...

Offline admiraldick

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 10:28:17 AM »
thanks for the links. my french isn't so hot, but i'm sure i can just about work them out.

have to say, i'm a little surprised that there haven't been more people writing there own rules and making their own posses.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 11:27:01 AM »
thanks for the links. my french isn't so hot, but i'm sure i can just about work them out.

have to say, i'm a little surprised that there haven't been more people writing there own rules and making their own posses.
If you've got any questions let me know

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 12:55:13 PM »
Adapting it slowly but surely to use for Firrefly/Serenity, although 'adapting' is a pretty loose description...

I'd certainly be very interested in playing that

.... but woudl liek to develop them for Gothic Horror though.

And that!   ;D

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 03:38:49 PM »
I've been thinking about writing a set for modern gang warfare and police actions in Los Angeles. Probably will be a mix of LOTW and Necromunda actually.

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 05:35:50 PM »
We've been using a simplified version for modern Zombie hunting games, at some point soon I'll get them actually written down so I can post them somewhere.  :)
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline jp762

• Scientist
  • Wait a mo! This isn't Motorhead!
    • JP sees lead people....(and then tries to paint them)
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 12:24:17 AM »
We've been using a simplified version for modern Zombie hunting games, at some point soon I'll get them actually written down so I can post them somewhere.  :)

I would love to see that........
(recent convert to the west, originaly a bit of a zed head)