Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:20:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690743
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Music to play cowboys by  (Read 7232 times)

Offline admiraldick

• Librarian
Music to play cowboys by
« on: May 01, 2010, 11:45:11 AM »
i guess that this kind of thread comes up all the time, but it can't hurt to discuss it again  ;)

when we've got special games going (rather than the regular get together), we like to have music playing that inspires and evokes, so i was wondering if anyone here does the same? if so what do you listen to? do you listen to period music? or something more modern?

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Music to play cowboys by
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 02:00:05 PM »
Any Sergio Leone soundtrack....   :D

My dad used to have an LP (which for any of the young whipper-snappers here is one of those big black plastic discs with grooves on both sides  ;) ) which was a collection of all the old classic 50s and 60s Western movie themes. Some absolutely superb music on it, but I've no idea what happened to it and can't remember the name  >:(

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 02:05:11 PM »
A good question, and always worth discussing.

I have several soundtrack CDs that we play when gaming at my house.

The Magnificent Seven for Western gunfights
The Alamo (1960 version) for Tex/Mex games
The Mask of Zorro for...wait for it..... Zorro games :D

I also have a Mariachi band CD for Tex/Mex games, but to be honest it drove us mad after playing it on the loop. lol

For Gothic Horror  we use the Francis Ford Coppola Dracula soundtrack, its quite atmospheric....

I also play these when paintiing and building stuff, I find it helps motivate me and get me in the right mood. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 02:12:37 PM »
I also have a Mariachi band CD for Tex/Mex games, but to be honest it drove us mad after playing it on the loop. lol

Crazy fool!  :o :o

lol

Knights Of Cydonia by Muse is very good for "Kung-Fu Cowboys In Space" type games, should you feel the need......

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 07:24:27 PM »
Plenty of mood music for modelling or gaming in CD's by Midnight Syndicate or Nox Arcana, from pirates to horror to adventure.  I'm also a big collector of soundtracks.  Batman Begins, Van Helsing, King Arthur, Lawrence of Arabia, music by Hans Zimmer, Basil Poledouris, John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, ...
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Chilledenuff

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 08:06:35 PM »
 :D Young Guns 2 soundtrack by Jon Bon Jovi.... We play LotoW.. just the right cheese factor!
Smile!  It's not that bad!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 08:44:50 PM »
:D Young Guns 2 soundtrack by Jon Bon Jovi.... We play LotoW.. just the right cheese factor!

Sadly my figures never get shot down in a blaze of glory  :'(

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 08:52:48 PM »
Sergio Leone soundtrack, as was mentioned, and the Grateful Dead's "Cowboy Songs"  (Dire Wolf, Me and My Uncle, Jack Straw, freind of the Devil, et al)

This stuff is a slice of FRIED GOLD!

And for a Cheesy, Italian Tom Jones vegas Style Western:

Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 10:14:52 PM »
All of the above, including the Mariachi pub clearing sounds, plus a bit of Woody Guthrie (Chisholm Trail and Jesse James).

Ramirez

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
  • Never Too Early for a Refreshing Beverage!
    • The Bengal Club
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 10:29:09 PM »
At the Bengal Club we make our own compilations for various game types.

Colonial, Pirate, Colonial again, Boxer, and a couple of Wild West versions.

Mostly it's movie music, but with a few famous snippets of film dialog thrown in.

We've actually created a couple of Mexican Revolution compilations, but the lads can only handle so much of the Federale Fanfares before mutinying and demanding that the sound system be turned off.

Amazon.com has lots of Western Themed Soundtrack CDs.  Here's a link to the one I found most useful.  Kudos to the City of Prague Philarmonnic.

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-West-Essential-Western-Collection/dp/B00000K2DU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1272748933&sr=1-2-fkmr0

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 10:57:12 PM »
Of course, if y'all are SERIOUS about playing some old honk during a game,  you must do this:

(I remember in 5th grade, my teacher, Mr. Wislon (a black guy, who was an accomplished blues drummer) came in crying.  He said "Lynyrd Skynyrd were killed  in a plane crash".  Tears flowed, among 5th graders.  That is how bad these guys rocked the country/western!

Look at that crowd in England!  I didn't know you guys liked the old honk?

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 12:19:12 AM »

Sometimes they have Mariachi bands at the restaurants around here.  Hard to enjoy a good burrito in peace when there's 4-5 of them standing in front of your table playing for a tip.   

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 08:00:58 AM »
Of course, if y'all are SERIOUS about playing some old honk during a game,  you must do this:

(I remember in 5th grade, my teacher, Mr. Wislon (a black guy, who was an accomplished blues drummer) came in crying.  He said "Lynyrd Skynyrd were killed  in a plane crash".  Tears flowed, among 5th graders.  That is how bad these guys rocked the country/western!

Look at that crowd in England!  I didn't know you guys liked the old honk?

Oh Yes!  I loved the original Skynyrd line-up and think God And Guns is a fantastic album  ;D

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 11:16:53 AM »
Sometimes they have Mariachi bands at the restaurants around here.  Hard to enjoy a good burrito in peace when there's 4-5 of them standing in front of your table playing for a tip.   

Thats somehting I would like to experience (perhpas just once though.. ;)) :D

Offline MuleSkinner

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 02:32:40 PM »
i own an old first person shooter (from 1997 i think) for my pc called outlaws, which came with the soundtrack free. the composer was called clint bajakian and the music is very reminiscent of the old sergio leone westerns.
i used to put that on in the background while playing. you fellas should try and track it down, the music is really very good.
Minor skin grafts can be performed on pigs by covering any cuts and grazes with thin strips of bacon.