Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:44:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: DALEK QUESTIONS  (Read 5666 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: DALEK QUESTIONS
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 09:02:13 AM »
Don't forget you can always destroy a Dalek by smearing mud over it's eye, then watch it go berserk and zoom over a cliff edge.

Presumably this wouldn't work on the upgraded versions with their fancy flying tricks ;)

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 09:31:09 AM »
I think i remember Bernard Cribbins trying this on a Dalek a couple of years ago. It didn't work they had an upgrade which worked like a screen cleaner and high tech wiper and got rid of the mud

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 12:46:24 PM »
I think i remember Bernard Cribbins trying this on a Dalek a couple of years ago. It didn't work they had an upgrade which worked like a screen cleaner and high tech wiper and got rid of the mud

And then there's the variation of using a handy Thal robe to throw over it's head. Unless they invent jointed sucker arms to pull it off, of course.....

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 02:15:31 PM »
:)

Your average Kaled Mk III travel machine never seems to respond well to any form of cloak-based attack!
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Online anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 05:25:35 PM »
the Mk 1 travel machines needed contact with the city floor to function (so disabled when dragged onto a Thal cloak) and were overpowered by sheer numbers...

the Mk 2 fixed the static energy problem with a projected energy problem... power was derived by dishes on the rear of the casing, energy being transmitted from arrays at Dalek bases... destroy the array and the whole lot are screwed.... major heavy impact trauma by previously mentioned bin lorry would do the job... pretty much everything else was uselss (Doberman was working on Dalekanium as an explosive that did seem to work ok)...

the Mk 3 fixed that problem with what was at various points put down to the slatted midsection collecting energy from the surrounding environment and that the Daleks became psychokinetic... at this point the Daleks were pretty much invulnerable to small arms fire... the vulnerablity of them in Death to the Daleks could be put down to the Exxilon power drain effecting various systems (low level shields? auto repair functions?)

vulnerabities can be broken down to the following:
Eyestalk susceptible to concentrated fire
Viral Weapons
High explosives
High-powered energy weapons
Bastic bullets (classic series daleks - but future humans only as bastic appears to be an advanced substance)
Dalek gunsticks - Extermination and Disintergration
Extreme heat,pressure or acids
Extremely low temperatures
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 05:27:40 PM by anevilgiraffe »

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 07:44:52 PM »
Sorry Chris - I meant Mk III travel machine - which was what Davros converts for his first Daleks. I've managed to geek myself out.

Online anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 08:23:39 PM »
Genesis is a bit of a continuity problem... Davros does call them the Mk 3 travel machine... but they have the solar slats of the later model Daleks and are free to leave the city... you kind of have to assume that earlier models are trundling around the bunker complex somewhere...

placement of the Dead Planet never makes sense either - the Doctor in DIoE says it was at the end of Dalek history and the reference books kind of latch onto that, but that doesn't explain why they are the least advanced of the early Daleks (simple budget/story telling and complete lack of a series bible aside)....

I suspect I've posted it before, but I started a massive Dalek army list, covering different periods and worked out a more logical timeline based on tactics/advances...

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 09:26:02 PM »
Yeah - I've read that - very good stuff.

Trying to unravel Dalek continuity is a nightmare.

I've always rationalised Dead Planet, by considering that they are in their dying days - limited to the City and the last vestiges of their technology. Of course, the events of Genesis or (for Bad Wolf's sake) the Time War could all have affected this. Now that's ret-con!

Online anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 09:40:26 PM »
just remembered as well.... Dead Planet can't be at the end of Dalek history, because those events are Thal legends by the time of Planet of the Daleks. I see it more as Skaro being all but abandoned by the Daleks after the death of the Emperor in Evil, leaving the primitive shells behind... when the Thals reclaim Skaro, they don't care enough to go back... at least until Destiny...

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 10:06:38 PM »
I gave up trying too hard to understand the Dalek time line and just accepted it's the problems caused by time travelers who can affect their own history.

It's all down to what changes had been made when the Doctor's personal timeline crossed the Dalek one.  That's why the further along The Doctor's timeline we are, later episodes with better effects, the fancier the Daleks seem to be.

Or it could just be wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey.  :)
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Online anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 10:09:19 PM »
and why the first Doctor has never heard of the greatest threat in the universe...  >:(

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 07:25:11 PM »
and why the first Doctor has never heard of the greatest threat in the universe...  >:(

...a girl on her hen night ?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 07:56:04 PM »
...a girl on her hen night ?

Or a wife after you've promised to paint the wall and then completely forgot becuse there was a good game of 20-20 cricket on the telly?  :'(

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 11:00:27 PM »
Mine was intended as a subtle reference to sorting out the redhead, rather than a generic threat to mankind (although there are plenty of those in Scarborough most Friday/Saturday nights).