Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:08:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 757
Total: 763

Recent

Author Topic: 2nd RCW Church Trooper  (Read 8293 times)

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
Re: 2nd RCW Church Trooper
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 10:40:05 PM »
Hmmm... interesting. Never heard of the "Gipsy" comics. Must... google... now!

Well, I was looking for a figure with a covered head, something like orthodox nuns wear, but I couldn't find anything. On the other hand... a bald head could be achieved by using one of hasslefree's heads they have for sale.

Fur lining is a good idea. And then there is also this version of the miniature:

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 10:40:40 PM »
Fur on the sleeve trims, fur on the boot trims. One of the easiest conversions there is. Giving her a hood with fur trim would go a long way, but may take some little more work to get right. Covering up the ass tight area a bit might make it look at lot less frisky, but besides general equipment pouches I can’t think of something to put over her cheeks.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2010, 12:09:14 AM »
Foundry has a "battle nun" in their near future collection. I can't think of the name, but you can get it if you call and ask, usually.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 08:00:19 AM »
A word of caution (or two, actually ;) ): This particular miniature is quite tiny, the more if compared to the bulky Copplestones. I've painted her up myself, and you can judge her size by the standard GW base she stands on: LINK.
Secondly, as you might remember, there's already another Neo-Tsarist (if more partisan-like) force in the making for Hazel's project. Two rival tsarinas would be odd, me thinks... ::)

Anyway, it's possible to use the mentioned "battle nuns". IIRC there are also some available from Westwind. You could quite easily alter their headdress by modelling a typical yet simple 'crown'.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:03:47 AM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 08:42:06 AM »
Nice to hear you are also on it Mad Doc. :) Well, I wasn't really going for a Tsarina. I doubt a potential Ruler would be on the battlefield bearing arms herself. Although two Tsarina pretenders would also be interesting. How many people actually claim to be offspring of the Romanovs? :)

The battle nuns you and Digitarii mention have the problem of being visibly non orthodox... To an orthodox person like myself at least.

As for the size difference... I've taken one of your pictures of that miniature and a Copplestone on a GW base found on the Internet and scaled them in photoshop till their bases were the same size. She looked more slender and a bit smaller, but all in all it wasn't that bad. You think it would be uncomfortably smaller?

former user

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2010, 08:44:49 AM »
both versions are fine, they are very neutral
Tiny?  maybe, but who says all humans are the same size and besides, women can be even smaller and petite

so, why don't You simply give her a fur hat?
this should be an easy conversion

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2010, 09:03:30 AM »
My partisans are in need of every man and woman that can and is willing to take up arms for their cause. Some inspirational leadership isn't unwelcome either. ;)
For sure, former user has a point in that not all people are of the same size. But miniatures have their own rules, and I think the more realistically proportioned Hasslefree stuff might look a bit out of place next to the quite differently styled Copplestone castings. Maybe I can take a picture of comparison in due course. Certainly a matter of taste after all.
Apart from that, if you are after this 'dark huntress' look, there's also one available from Copplestone in his "Collection".

Regarding the nuns, I've imagined them like that:

Seems to me like only some minor alterations on their Western counterparts are needed. ???

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2010, 09:10:47 AM »
Am loving that trooper.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2010, 01:50:49 PM »
Thanks, Argonor.

I don't know about the nuns really. Somehow it doesn't seem right to go to the front in a big piece of cloth. At least now I got food for thought. Maybe the miniature in the coat, some fur added, could be a nun properly equipped for war. Or maybe I scrap the idea altogether.

Thanks guys.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2010, 01:57:44 PM »
Regarding "dressed to fight": Just think of the Medieval Hospitallers - they went into battle in their monastic habit, at least at their very beginning. It was kind of chastening themselves and trying to become martyrs of faith. Quite a few succeeded. ::)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2010, 02:08:47 PM »
It all depends on your perspective, really - do you want a realistic futuristic approach, then the fighting branch of the church would of course be dressed/equipped in the most befitting manner, just like other ground forces.

Do you want a 'pulpy/adventure/comic book' futuristic setting, then warrior nuns (and/or monks) in full attire would be quite the thing.

I think your trooper points towards the former, but I could be wrong?

Brigade Games has some 'French nuns' with weapons in their pulp section that I plan to use as 'civilians' for Strange Aeons - but they are more the Cathoholic sort (typo intended - no spite on catholics intended).

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 03:13:18 PM »
I think you've hit the spot. The former is definitely the case. I don't mind a priest nearby - the TAG orthodox priest is definitely on my list - but not in attire and a fighting capacity at the same time. A more partisan-like, paramilitary movement would look great with a fighting priest or nun, but these are actual military units recruited and paid by the Patriarchy of the (fictitious) Patriarch Seraphim II (maybe Lt. Hazel will allow me to keep the name  :D ). They might even be parts of the military before the civil war that flipped to the church's side. Hmmm... maybe I need some kind of a military style officer. On the other hand... a female tough nut special agent wouldn't be too wrong for the mission.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
If you're looking for a female character figure you could always try her:

http://www.artizandesigns.com/prod.php?prod=1207

You'd probably need to change her weapon, but she looks quite suitably dressed for Russia I think.

There's also these two as well:

http://www.artizandesigns.com/prod.php?prod=1235

http://www.artizandesigns.com/prod.php?prod=1234

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2010, 09:19:20 PM »
On the other hand... a female tough nut special agent wouldn't be too wrong for the mission.

Pun intended...?  :D

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2010, 10:06:59 PM »
Not really, but it's a good one.  :D