Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:27:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting Sudan British  (Read 8203 times)

Offline Tannenberg

• Librarian
    • Rif Raf Miniatures Ltd
Painting Sudan British
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:15:43 AM »
I'm going to be painting up some 28mm Perry Sudan British and I'm trying to work out the colour of the uniform...what is the exact shade of grey...and can enyone give me pointers as to what they would consider to be the best way of painting them up.
I'm also trying to get as many illustrations as possible for colonial British uniforms of the 19th century...guidance on this would be very helpful as well  :)   
“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.”

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
Re: Painting Sudan British
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:13:55 AM »
Pretty sure the Perrys did a Sudan painting guide, I think it's on there website but I can't link to it as my iPhone had trouble navigating the site, I have a copy if you can't find it.
Colonial British uniforms is a big subject, apart from the obvious Ospreys I would try and find the Foundry books on Africa and India, Africa is out of print but I'm sure you could find it online somewhere.
I got some links you may find useful on my comp at home, will try and post them later.

Mors

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 11:20:49 AM »
Can't link directly due to their site settings, however if you go into 'Sudan - Extras', it's linked to in the main text that comes up. Don't select a box set.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 03:38:20 AM »
Three main uniform colours of British Army in the Sudan. Hope this helps. From Perry Site.

1. Infantry Sergeant in Grey Serge
The initial force to operate against the Mahdi garrisoned in the Mediterranean (excluding the Naval Brigade) were supplied with grey uniforms. These uniforms were first sent to Egypt in September 1882 after favourable reports of Indian khaki in the late war with the Egyptians. Helmet and 74 valise equipment are stained off-white, mess tin cover and expense pouch (not always worn) are black. Only the greatcoat was carried, not the actual valise. The rifle is the .45in Martini-Henry.

2. English Khaki
Due to the lack of obtaining a satisfactory dye in England khaki only began to replace the grey uniforms in the Sudan in 1885. Not all regiments received it, and only a portion of some. The painting of the battle of Tofrek by C E Fripp shows the Berkshires in action in both uniforms.

6. Yorkshire Regiment
The battle of Ginniss (30th December 1885) was the last occasion on which the British army fought in red. At this battle, as well as a couple of others eg. Kirbekan, red was ordered ‘to look more formidable to the Dervishes’. Some units probably remained in their khaki trousers and puttees. Regimental facings on the red frocks were changed in 1881 to white for English and Welsh, yellow for Scottish, green for Irish and blue for royal regiments. This figure has the larger 1882 pattern pouches which have been pipe clayed for the occasion.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Tannenberg

• Librarian
    • Rif Raf Miniatures Ltd
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 10:11:21 AM »
Thanks gents for the pointers...much appreciated :)

Johnno, sorry if this sounds a completely stupid question, but is there a particular colour shade I can use for the grey serge uniform?  I have discussed this with a few of the guys at my club and they have come up with different suggestions.

Cheers

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 07:03:34 AM »
To be completely honest I don't know the difference between Grey Serge and any other shade of grey.

Now after a bit of research Serge is a type of twill fabric that has diagonal lines or ridges on both sides, made with a two-up, two-down weave. The worsted  variety is used in making military uniforms, suits, great coats and trench coats.

So you might not need to look for a colour match for " Grey Serge", as grey is the colour and serge is the material.

My suggestion would be to print a colour photo of one of the Perry's grey uniforms and try your grey paints (maybe some custom mixes) beside it until you find something you like.

To me, the Perry uniforms look light grey with almost a hint of blue....

There's my 2 cents.

And there's no such this as a stupid question. Only stupid answers...which I hope this isn't. Lol

Offline Tannenberg

• Librarian
    • Rif Raf Miniatures Ltd
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 08:43:07 AM »
Thanks Johnno....good advice there (definitely not a stupid answer)  :)

Hmmm, yes, there does seem to be a 'hint' of blue about the uniform colour.  Needless to say, I have been in my workshop rummaging through my grey paints.  I think it will be a case of trial and error, but I think I'll try, at least, a couple of colours from the Citadel range of paints...probably 'Shadow Grey' as the base colour for the uniform then a Codex Grey for the highlighting, etc....probably some other greys as well.