Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:44:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: When the Navy Walked - Core Rules  (Read 3204 times)

Offline watchtower78

• Scientist
    • Dastardly Designed Games
When the Navy Walked - Core Rules
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:26:42 PM »
I just released the core version of When the Navy Walked.  When the Navy Walked is a miniature rules set that covers an alternate history from the 1872 Victorian era to the 1909 Edwardian Industrial Age.  It is a springboard for imagination and a high-level game of tactics and battles set amongst the 'what if' world inspired by the classic authors of Victorian Science Fiction and Retro Science Fiction. 

In WTNW players take the reins of generals and command massive armies of steam driven behemoths.  In the end, the thunder that cascades across the battlefield to settle in the souls of the fighting men will only be assuaged with the assistance of the landship.
This is the first in a series of books that will outline the story and history behind this alternate Earth, its culture and the rules for fighting massive battles.  In future supplements players will have the opportunity to play through various alternate historical scenarios including the colonial colonization of Africa and the deep dark folds of the Aether.  So grab your goggles and your Aethertech and get ready for a good time filled with steam and adventure!

WTNW is available from WarGameVault now!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: When the Navy Walked - Core Rules
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 09:44:34 AM »
Sounds interesting. So what scale is it intended for, for example 6mm or 28mm? What size battles? Would we need 10 figs and a vehicle each side or are we talking 100 men and 10 vehicles each?

I'll be honest, the background doesn't grab me too much, but then we've got pretty fluid and developed backgrounds for our games around here anyway. I'm always happy to check out a set of rules however.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline watchtower78

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 01:47:48 PM »
Dewbackuk, thank you for asking.  The game is intended to be played with 15mm figures based about three to a stand for infantry and two or so per artillery battery.  Instead of establishing a set number of vehicles and bots per side there is a maximum number of ground units that an army has to have per vehicle type.  Most games that I've played have two commanders per side playing with about three ground units and four or so vehicles plus artillery. The build system is the same for the vehicles as it is for ground units and so vehicles end up being cheaper but the limits imposed on the number of vehicles per ground unit cap does a good job.  Also, depending on the size of the vehicle (hull points) it may not be able to withstand as much damage as say an entire infantry battalion. I hope this answers your question.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 02:25:36 PM »
This is very cool and well worth checking out!    :-*

Dave

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 03:36:10 PM »
It answers the questions very well, thank you.

Offline watchtower78

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 05:59:44 PM »
I'd really love to get feedback on these rules from anyone that has picked them up.  I hope everyone is enjoying playing them as much as I did creating them.  I am working on the Air Pirates and Atlantians supplement next and will then start on the Martian Colonies.