Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:27:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Games Table in Progress  (Read 5657 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Games Table in Progress
« on: June 19, 2007, 08:33:51 PM »
Well then, I´ve finally started construction on my new games table, composed of 60x60cm/24x24" boards.

To get "into" the pattern, I started with a simple plains board and one with a railway track (since I plan to predominantly use it for Old West, RCW and SCW games). Next will be a pair like the first, then a bunch of birch copses, and as the conclusion to the first stage two more plains boards, maybe one with a gentle hill.

Long-term planning consists of:

3 modules of railroad tracks, 2 modules of river and one with river and railroad bridge, 4 modules of plains, and one or two hill modules.

The basic construction is 1/8th inch MDF and 1.2 inch XPS styrofoam.

A close-up of the railway line, rather Russian in appearance due to the wide gauge (ca. 1/51st scale of Russian 1524mm wide gauge) and the raised embankment. Still wondering how I shall build a road crossing (if any).

Telegraph poles are separate.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Games Table in Progress
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 09:07:49 PM »
that railroad looks awesome, Chris!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Games Table in Progress
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 09:24:15 PM »
Yes, I´m rather happy with the look, too. I used Balsa wood sleepers and rails cut from 90cm FlexiTrack, of which I bought four lengths (3.60m) when they were discounted (2,- apiece or so) at my local Model Rail Road store. I originally planned to use the tracks "as is" for 20mm WW2, building a BP-42 from paper, but since I haven´t done any 20mm in a year or so, I thought I could "rip them up" and use them for this table project.

Best of all, since both Spain and Russia used wide gauge, and some American railroads did as well, I can use the table for my three favourite periods.

On a funny sidenote, I had considered using nails to make it look more authentic (4 nails per sleeper!), but couldn´t find any which where small enough, so I discarded that idea... for the moment.

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
Games Table in Progress
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 11:05:29 PM »
Really smells like a White Invasion.. :lol:

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Games Table in Progress
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 12:24:18 AM »
Looks excellent and with Brent's Armoured train coming from Company B whose side are you joining?

God Bless

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
Games Table in Progress
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 05:22:15 AM »
:o  :love: Must Game with it  :love:
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline pnweerar

• Scientist
Games Table in Progress
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 06:02:53 AM »
The little bits of grass between the rails is a nice, nice, touch.

Offline dominic

• Mastermind
    • http://www.napnuts.com
Games Table in Progress
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 07:55:02 AM »
Chris - that's a lovely set of boards!
2 weeks ago, I also started thinking of doing a set of boards like yours, so I can do sunken river beds and so on.  However, my main problem now is storage space.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Games Table in Progress
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 08:18:25 AM »
Quote from: "dominic"
2 weeks ago, I also started thinking of doing a set of boards like yours, so I can do sunken river beds and so on.  However, my main problem now is storage space.

Hi Dom

I've ANZAC Cove in my small storge/laundry room plus a Trench system for the Third battle of Kritha.  :) Not to mention half of the Western front in ruin buildings, Middle-East, Black Forest, Amazon River (okay streching it there) but I do have a long river and road sections from Armourcast and Gladiator games. Then there are the hills, more trench systems, barb wire etc. Oh boy it doesn't stop! Mostly in storage containers to keep out the dust.

Good luck with yours.

God Bless

Helen

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Games Table in Progress
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 08:46:33 AM »
Very nice boards,I reallyliek the raised railway tracks, it makes them look quite imposing.
I'd like to see some pics when the train is on them too :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Games Table in Progress
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 09:08:37 AM »
It looks great, a lovely bit of terrain. You know what I was thinking when I saw it...for pulpy goodness...a chain gang with the Guards and the obligatory dog walking the line while the chain gang (Laurel and Hardy in stripey clothing) shoveling ballast.

A lovely piece of work :)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Games Table in Progress
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 09:18:10 AM »
Quote from: "Helen Bachaus"
Looks excellent and with Brent's Armoured train coming from Company B whose side are you joining?

Why, the side of the brutally oppressed proletariat, of course... :lol:

However, I´m thinking of only adding "removable Communist decoration" to the train once I get it done, like flags, and a red star up front which can be attached using a small magnet, so I can lend it to other opponents when we game...

Quote from: "dominic"
2 weeks ago, I also started thinking of doing a set of boards like yours, so I can do sunken river beds and so on. However, my main problem now is storage space.

Ah yes, storage space... I´m a bit concerned about that too, but since the initial set will require only a space of, ca. 30x60x60cm, it will not be too much of a problem. I´m leaving the "plains" boards without too much detail, so I can stack them. And they´ll be far easier to transport than my old 60x120cm boards.

And finally, yesterday, I took a walk along our local riverlet... up north, it still is straightened, but the banks are densely grown, with reeds and all that, and I really want to include that along my river. Considering that, what width would you folks consider practical, yet looking suitably imposing? I´m thinking about using a total width of 6-8" at the top level (ie where the surface slopes, tapering down to a river width of 4-5" at the bottom...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Games Table in Progress
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 09:40:52 AM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"
On a funny sidenote, I had considered using nails to make it look more authentic (4 nails per sleeper!), but couldn´t find any which where small enough, so I discarded that idea... for the moment.

I felt I have to show you this:
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=83448

This company, www.micromark.com is quite fantastic, btw, in that they have the most extraordinary collections of tools and materials for the hobbyist. Look arround a bit and I think you'll know what I mean. I used to order from them quite often when I lived in Chicago (three cheers for american logistics in general and USP in particular). Still do, actually, but not so often since it is so bloody expensive to ship things from the US.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Games Table in Progress
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 09:52:25 AM »
Interesting, but still looks too large (I assume they are made for II and IIm gauges), and especially too thick. My sleepers are only 5mm wide, so...

But nice stuff, thanks for the hint.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Games Table in Progress
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 10:53:53 AM »
Hats off Chris.
Excellent work !!!!
Björn
, ,