Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:02:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690464
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AD&D Battlesystem with Battle Reports (Updated 12/23/13 pg 3)  (Read 23547 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: AD&D Battlesystem with Battle Reports (Lots of Pics)
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 10:26:24 PM »
That's amazing!

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 11:47:47 PM »
This has got to be my favorite thread of the week. Where to start, tons of old school minis being used with old school rules. I have spent a lot of time looking through all your pics trying to figure out all the minis you used. One of the coolest things in the thread are the regiment of cloaked swordsmen (can't remember but I think they are old Ral Partha wraiths) I don't know who painted them but they look amazing. I am painting some undead now and you have given me a lot of inspiration.

Please post more pics

Damien

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 02:40:28 AM »
Are those human halberdiers from the old Milton Bradley/GW game Battlemasters?  This game is too cool.
Jim

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 06:25:23 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  We have had a lot of fun with these games, so it's cool to be able to share at least some of that experience on the forum.

@Hupp n at em, yes, there are Battlemasters halberdier figs conscripted into the human army.

@phreedh, thanks for IDing the Knights of Origo.  Those were some of the painted figs we picked up and I was thinking maybe they were old Partha.  Good eye.

@Damien, If you were thinking of the blue cloaked unit with the two handed swords, the fig is a Ral Partha "Wizard".  Another very nice unit we picked up.  Glad you liked it, I've enjoyed your postings of old school figs, great work and keep posting.

Another skirmish battle report is in the works, just have to get the time to put it together and post it.
So many games, so little time.
-----------------------------------
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/index.php?act=idx

Offline Bloodysword

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 07:49:02 PM »
Great battle report!  Different rule set, different manufactures mixed together, and the table looked excellent.  I love it.  I saw that rule set for sale at a local hobby shop and almost purchased it because of your skirmish reports.  Can't wait untill the next one.

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
Re: AD&D Battlesystem Battle Reports (Updated 12/23/13)
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 04:15:52 PM »
Battlesystem Miniature Rules by TSR, Dwarves vs. Orcs & Goblins

A Battlesystem AAR from a game played in March 2013.  The background setting for this battle is the foothills of the Rakers Mountains in the World of Greyhawk between Dwarves and an Orc and Goblin army of the Bone March.  The Dwarves assembled for war and traveled down from their mountain home to prevent the humanoids from marching though the pass and on to the plains of Ratik.

An overview of the Battlefield, showing the entrance to the mountain pass and the rocky plain where the battle took place.

The army lists are shown below and did not include any magic or heroes.

Dwarven army, 1202 points:
10 King’s Elite Guard Halberdiers, 150 pts
12 Elite Axemen, 156 pts
10 Light Crossbow, 100 pts
8 Heavy Crossbow, 96 pts
16 Axemen, 96 pts
20 Regular Infantry, 100 pts
18 Regular Infantry, 90 pts
24 Regular Infantry, 120 pts
14 Heavy Hammerers, 84 pts
5 Elite Bear Riders, 100 pts
Light Catapult with 6 Crew, 110 pts

Orc and Goblin army, 1204 points:
22 Orc Infantry, 110 pts
22 Orc Infantry, 110 pts
12 Orc Short Bow Skirmishers, 108 pts
12 Orc Short Bow Skirmishers, 108 pts
20 Orc Spearmen, 120 pts
26 Goblin Infantry, 78 pts
10 Goblin Wolf Riders, 180 pts
4 Hill Giants, 240 pts
Orc Heavy Chariot, 50 pts
4 Trolls, 100 pts

The armies both deploy on a wide front, eager to go to battle against their hated foes.

Orc archers provide a skirmish screen for the menacing unit of Troll skirmishers.

The King’s Elite Guard anchor the center of the Dwarven battle line, backed up by a light catapult on a rocky hill.

With mighty battle cries, both armies advance across the battle field.

Goblin wolf riders reposition out to the flank of the humanoid horde while the Trolls advance behind the cover of the woods.

On the opposite flank, the unit of Dwarven bear riders position themselves for a crushing charge.

The generals of the Dwarven army ham it up for the camera.

Orcs and Goblin units surge forward in the center of the battlefield as the stalwart Dwarves move forward to meet them.

Here the elite axemen brace for the charge of the wolf riders, as the Troll skirmishers clamber over the rocky hill and position themselves for an attack on the flank of the regular infantry.

Goblins rush forward as the Hill Giants come under fire from the catapult.

With a thunderous crash that reverberated across the battlefield, the bear riders and Orc chariot collide in a massive impact that leaves both units completely destroyed.

On the opposite flank from the exploding chariot, the Goblin wolf riders spurred their slavering wolf mounts and charged headlong into the elite axemen.

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2013, 04:16:28 PM »
Part 2

In the center, a swirling melee erupts as Dwarven infantry drive back a unit of Orcs but find themselves flanked by Trolls and Orc skirmishers.

Dwarven crossbows and catapult thin the ranks of Giants as they stomp across the battlefield.    A shaken Goblin unit mills around in a state of confusion in front of the enemy units.

More units maneuver and come into contact in the center .

Units on both sides are driven back while the Trolls take a serious toll on the clansman infantry.

The goblin wolf riders slowly but surely whittle down the elite axemen unit.

Two fresh units charge into the shaken Goblins and not surprisingly force the small humanoids to route.

Crossbows take aim at the oncoming unit of Giants.

The left flank is now fully engaged as Orc spears skewer Dwarven axemen while the Giant charges into the waiting Dwarves.  The routed Goblins are methodically chased down and destroyed.

The Trolls crash into the flank of yet another unit while the Dwarven heavy hammerers are shot up by the Orc skirmishers.

Over on the flank, the wolf riders start to surround the beleaguered elite axemen.

With a loud crash, the last of the Giants is cut down.   Yelling in triumph, the infantry unit charges into the Orc spear men to assist the dwindling regular axemen unit.

The Dwarves in the center find themselves being decimated by the large Orc units and vicious Trolls.

The combat between the elite axemen and the wolf riders is brutal and unforgiving.  Soon both units are shaken and depleted.  The lone Dwarf stands defiantly but in the end there can be only on conclusion.

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2013, 04:17:15 PM »
Part 3

Fighting to the end around the ragged standard, the last of the heavy hammerers goes down to the Trolls.

All across the battlefield, the losses to the Dwarven army have been heavy.  The Orcs and Trolls now have free reign to consolidate their positions and close in on the few remaining hard pressed Dwarves.   The heavy crossbowmen fall back to defend the catapult but they can sense their doom is quickly approaching.

The last of the Dwarven infantry goes down as nearby skirmishers loose their arrows at the catapult.

The heavy crossbowmen sells themselves dearly, but are no match for the marauding Trolls that have ripped their way through several units throughout the battle.  Only the Kings Elite Guard and the catapult crew remain at the end of the battle.

It was a sad day of devastating defeat for the Dwarves of the Raker Mountains.  Many hearty warriors were lost and the humanoids of the Bone March are free to move through the pass and raid and pillage in Ratik.   No Orc dared challenge the Trolls for first feasting rights this night, the deadly monsters had more than earned their keep in the battle.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Re: AD&D Battlesystem with Battle Reports (Updated 12/23/13 pg 3)
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2013, 05:02:32 PM »
Brilliant game and report!  As a dwarf player through and through, my sympathies go out to them!

Who makes the dwarf bear cavalry?

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2013, 05:14:33 PM »
Brilliant game and report!  As a dwarf player through and through, my sympathies go out to them!

Who makes the dwarf bear cavalry?

Thanks, it wasn't a pretty result for the Dwarves.

Mirliton still has the old Grenadier Dwarven bear riders available.

http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm-dwarfs

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2013, 06:52:43 PM »
That is quite an IMPRESSIVE array of VERY COOL Old Minis & LOVELY terrain. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2013, 08:42:05 PM »
That is simply stunning!

Everyhting about it it great!

And SO MANY photos! I understand the time it takes and just wanted to say thanks!

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2013, 09:25:13 AM »
Very inspiring! are you using the first or the second battlesystem edition?

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
Fantastic battle report!

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »
Very inspiring! are you using the first or the second battlesystem edition?

We use the 2nd Edition Battlesystem rules.