Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:23:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bosun Green - Pirate Putty Pushing  (Read 11765 times)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Bosun Green - Pirate Putty Pushing
« on: June 21, 2007, 11:46:30 PM »

I've dabbled with a bit of sculpting over the past year or so but haven't done it with enough regularity to progress too far.

Up until now I've been doing figures for my on-going Mad Max/Post-Apocalyptic games.  Only around 10 so far and I haven't really finished all of those yet!

This is the first (pseudo) historical figure I have tried and I'm pretty pleased with the result.  He came out pretty much as I had invisioned him.  I'm not good at sketching so I just sculpt from an image in my mind.  (I see green people  8) ).

I welcome comment, both good and bad.  I figure I will get a rather more gentlemanly response here than if I went off the deep end and posted on Frothers!

Regards

Overlord
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline TJSKI

• Librarian
    • http://cursedtreasures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 12:32:37 AM »
Overlord,

Nice work there my friend, my only issue with the figure, and this is really minor, but I would have had the sword raised instead of resting on his shoulder. But thats my two cents, so take it for what it's worth. i know I can't push green stuff & if I tried it would just be a big blob of green with a sword sticking out. Nice job :mrgreen:

TJSKI
"Leutant Kulinski, a rather inept commander"

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 12:53:48 AM »
I really like it. I think it's  miles better than the 'pirates of the month' from Old Glory. I think you can sell it.

Marc
Fantastic Worlds: Pulp Action in the Far Reaches of Space
http://oddmanproductions.com

Offline ChukTuttle

• Librarian
  • Physicist/Astronomer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 03:56:05 AM »
I second that!  That is a great effort and blows away what some companies are selling.
Look Daddy, I painted one of your robots!!!

Offline fatgoblin

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 07:16:18 AM »
thats pretty good!  You should do more!

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 07:28:12 AM »
Quote from: "Mo"
I really like it. I think it's  miles better than the 'pirates of the month' from Old Glory. I think you can sell it.

my opinion, too, you're really good! I'd buy it  :)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 08:10:06 AM »
Hi

This green is impressive. Well done to you in having a go  :)
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 08:18:27 AM »
Excellent :)  NO complaints at all, A very nice figure. I'd buy one. CAn we see pic's of your Mad Max figures too :?:
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Zoogla

• Scientist
    • http://www.zinnfiziert.de
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 08:29:19 AM »
I'll take one too. Looks really cool!

Z.
please visit my miniature painting blog http://www.tinfected.eu/blog/

Of all the things I lost I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Lurch

• Librarian
    • http://www.miniaturicum.de
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 09:49:49 AM »
I like it very much, and I would buy it as it is.

I will give two minor suggestions. First the sabre could be a little smaller in my opinion. And second the face could have some crinkles.

But this is realy minor.  I would not be able to do something close and as mentioned above, better than many produced minis.

I would also love to see your mad max stuff, please show it.

"Hier hast Du Buch! Hier hast Du Wurzel! B???MMMM! ", Grimm

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 11:51:37 AM »
Thankyou all for your very kind comments.  :oops:

"I will give two minor suggestions. First the sabre could be a little smaller in my opinion. And second the face could have some crinkles."

I agree that his sword is a bit big, in hindsight it needs to be a bit smaller and thinner.  I take the point about wrinkles.  My main concern was smoothing the putty as this was only my 4th attempt at a face, and previously they had seemed a bit "messy".

"I would have had the sword raised instead of resting on his shoulder"

It was intended to rest as if he were waiting to close with and board another ship.  I'm also not quite happy with its position on his shoulder, it should be resting more heavily rather than barely touching his collar as it currently does.

I will try and post some pics of the "Mad Max" style figures when I get home tonight.  They aren't really as good, as I used them as a learning process.  In reality I'm still adding odd details even now.

Cheers

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 12:41:33 PM »
You did a great job on the folds of the clothing. It looks baggy without being overdone. The sword pose doesn't bug me too much because I think I could bend it into a heavier rest position. It also looks very castable. I think you ought to try to get it produced!

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 03:33:06 PM »
Another vote for having it produced. I'd buy it too.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 09:44:23 PM »
I have posted my Mad Max/Post-Apocalypse type greens in the Future Wars thread: http://forum.backofbeyond.de/viewtopic.php?t=1968

Im not sure if greens should be posted in the closest available "Theme" thread, in the Workbench area or if a Greens thread might be appropriate?

Once again, thank you for the very positive feedback.  Mrs Overlord ( :love: ) is always telling me I am far too self-critical and having your comments has really encouraged me.  Cheers.

Overlord.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 10:37:36 PM »
I don't think the sword needs to rest any heavier. They are not particularly heavy things so they should rest lightly. It is a bit too wide perhaps, but might look different when painted anyway.

You could possibly do with either an ornate belt buckle or prominent buttons at the waist to break up the line of the figure, and perhaps some bows at the knee, just for decoration, many pirates seem quite decorative, a bit like nautical magpies - Blackbeard used to have an assortment of gubbins tied into his beard for instance.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)