Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:25:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Brigade Games Germans Africa WW1  (Read 5603 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Brigade Games Germans Africa WW1
« on: June 22, 2007, 06:02:06 AM »
Hi Folks, Yet again another part of my collection shown here. I'm about half way there with my collection for the Germans. Painted by my good friend Leroy Simpson. I've had this collection for a few years now. Too many Sideshows of the Great War to collect :)

[/img]
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 06:03:40 AM »
[/img]

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 06:04:40 AM »
I still have bugles to be painted, standard bearers, rocket crew, more Askari, a Pom Pom crewed by Germans and a captured vickers machine gun crewed by Askari. Plus a small Krupp mountain gun. I'm still looking into the Konigsberg Gun.

[/img]

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 06:23:32 AM »
I see, you’re dead serious about making Africa WW1  :mrgreen:

just unbelievable....

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 06:31:49 AM »
Quote from: "Prof.Witchheimer"
I see, you’re dead serious about making Africa WW1  :mrgreen:

just unbelievable....

Thankyou Prof, Yes I'm a very keen girl interested in the Sideshows of Africa. My Library can testifiy to that  :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 09:24:47 AM »
Could you help me out with something, please Helen?

You know those figures you have dragging the sled? Which way is the gun supposed to point? Does it face forwards or backwards? It looks like yours have the barrel pointing in the direction of travel. Do you know for a fact that that is how they were used?

I have tried to find out about those damn sleds on TMP multiple times, and nobody can ever find a pic of one being dragged (in all the photos they seem to be carrying them, which doesn't say much for the utility of the sled), and multiple "experts" always say different things. Even Lon Weiss doesn't know, and he sells the blooming things.

I have put off painting mine for years because I have been unable to find out which way the damn thing is supposed to face. I had quite forgotten all about it, and I'm now at the stage where if "Helen says it faces a particular way, then that's the way it's going to face!"  :)

Thanks.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 10:19:06 AM »
Some interesting pics here:

http://www.glennhyatt.com/usmcguns/mg08sld.htm

particularly pic number 8.  This shows the MG08 being man handled fowards.
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 10:25:16 AM »
Nice one, Tadportly. Some great pics there.

Unfortunately in the one you mention, once again our German friends are manhandling the gun, rather than pulling it with the harnesses. I've still to see how the harness operated in action in a photo, as depicted in the Brigade set.

As there don't seem to be any pics of this rig being used (they always carry it), I'm beginning to suspect that it was such a bad idea that nobody ever actually did it!  :)

It's not a big deal, I guess. I don't think anyone will complain if I get it wrong.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 11:46:46 AM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Could you help me out with something, please Helen?

You know those figures you have dragging the sled? Which way is the gun supposed to point? Does it face forwards or backwards? It looks like yours have the barrel pointing in the direction of travel. Do you know for a fact that that is how they were used?

I have tried to find out about those damn sleds on TMP multiple times, and nobody can ever find a pic of one being dragged (in all the photos they seem to be carrying them, which doesn't say much for the utility of the sled), and multiple "experts" always say different things. Even Lon Weiss doesn't know, and he sells the blooming things.

I have put off painting mine for years because I have been unable to find out which way the damn thing is supposed to face. I had quite forgotten all about it, and I'm now at the stage where if "Helen says it faces a particular way, then that's the way it's going to face!"  :)

Thanks.

Hi Poly, Thanks for your comments. To be honest, I've no idea, but relied on my friend Leroy to place them in the correct position. The barrel is at their end and not away. However on my Westen Front Germans I've them both ways - go figure!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 12:59:21 AM »

Unfortunately in the one you mention, once again our German friends are manhandling the gun, rather than pulling it with the harnesses. I've still to see how the harness operated in action in a photo, as depicted in the Brigade set.

As there don't seem to be any pics of this rig being used (they always carry it), I'm beginning to suspect that it was such a bad idea that nobody ever actually did it!  :)

It's not a big deal, I guess. I don't think anyone will complain if I get it wrong.

I second that, Nice one Tadporty. I love the Naval unit in the tropics pic.

Battle Honours WW1 Asien Korps MG Pack  have their MGs been manhandled by three figures as shown in the pics kindly provided by Tadporty.

I'll try the Axis Forum for assistance.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 01:24:26 AM »

Hi poly

This is an answer I received from the Axis forum from a very reliable source:

I would say the barrel was facing forward.

"The chain myth could also be explained by the MG being used in action in a drastic fashion with the guys with the Trageriemen(carrying straps) still linked to the weapon. Something like firing on the move in rare circumstances". Barrel facing forward ready for action it seems. This would make sense in  alot of ways if they are moving forward with the unit. Fire and Moving - so to speak!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 08:13:09 AM »
Thanks, Helen. I think I may actually get around to finishing that piece now.

I should have thought of the Axis Forum myself. I do tend to just hang around the same old places on the net, and while aware of that site, it isn't one I visit often.

Anyway, thanks again for your sleuthing efforts on my behalf.

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 08:42:26 AM »

I contacted another forum that I belong to and ask if anyone had any info on this.  A member kindly posted up this:

http://www.germanmanuals.com/images/MG08b.jpg

I understand that it comes from a German manual.  Hopefully this provides the evidence you were looking for? :)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 08:47:09 AM »
Quote from: "TadPortly"

I contacted another forum that I belong to and ask if anyone had any info on this.  A member kindly posted up this:

http://www.germanmanuals.com/images/MG08b.jpg

I understand that it comes from a German manual.  Hopefully this provides the evidence you were looking for? :)

Thankyou TadPortly, excellent photo. Thankyou for following up on this request.  :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 09:47:09 AM »
Wunderbar. Thanks, Tadportly.

That is a slightly different variant to the sled on the Brigade model (there seem to be two distinct types), but I'm sure the principle is entirely the same.