Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:15:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690814
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Figures for the War of the Roses?  (Read 9517 times)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Figures for the War of the Roses?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2010, 10:31:48 PM »
You're very kind, but believe me there are very considerable gaps in my knowledge too and in addition my comments are merely my interpretation of what I've read. There are a number of alternate theories and views, none of them concrete, mine included. The most problematic thing is that there isn't an actual account of a battle to draw on, we have a few asides and comments from contemporaries, but the bulk is largely guesswork.

The biggest frustration for me was trying to work out how a contingent was deployed, something I was never able to determine to my satisfaction. A lot of the options offered either smack too much of ECW type deployments or seem to be very complicated for the largely unprofessional/semi-professional troops used. While the Burgundians went for some quite innovative ideas with their archers and bills, these were drilled professionals, although most were English. The Burgundian Army had the luxury of extended 'shake-down' periods and drill sessions, something the often hastily raised and largely part-time troops of the WotR didn't have.

The only caveat I can offer regarding casualties/army strengths is that big numbers can be taken as just meaning it was a big army. The land couldn't support a massive force, even if it was passing through. As both sides were keen not to alienate the population, looting and taking what they needed (as in the HYW) was out. Most armies wouldn't be likely to top the 10k mark and split up to take different routes so as to ensure the men could be fed. Towton was undoubtedly a big battle and may have certainly topped 30k men a side, but very unlikely to be more. The Yorkists staggered the march from the south because of the sheer size of its army and several lords veered off the route to raise men as they marched, Norfolk being a late arrival at the battle as a result of this. A figure of 28k casualties is no doubt exaggerated by contemporaries, but as most men were lost in the Lancastrian rout and their escape was restricted by the stream, the weather and the sheer mass of their comrades trying to escape, it is likely to earn its title of 'bloodiest battle on Britain's soil'.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2010, 03:59:32 PM »
Today's WI has an advert from the Perry's announcing the release of the mercenaries, 40 figures that can be made up as pikes, crossbow or arquebus in varying quantities.  Box art and 3 ups are on show. There are also 3 metal packs of scurrers.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2010, 04:52:49 PM »
where where? didn't found anything on perry's site!!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2010, 01:27:46 AM »
Yeah! Were did you see the add? Post a link please. :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2010, 01:34:59 AM »
Today's WI has an advert...

I’m guessing that WI stand for Wargames Illustrated… ;D
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2010, 02:02:45 AM »
D'uh! I missed that lol

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2010, 09:40:50 AM »
Sorry, page 77 of the new Wargames Illustrated:

Mercenaries: European Infantry 1450-1500.

40 figures to make up to 18 pikes, 12 handgunners and 12 crossbows, with separate pavisses, targes and sword arms.  No price or date, just Coming Soon.

Metal has 3 packs of scurrers, command, lance upright and skirmishing.