Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:52:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Askari Miniatures - two designers?  (Read 2952 times)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Askari Miniatures - two designers?
« on: July 26, 2010, 08:17:20 AM »
I just got a newsletter from Askari with some interesting additions. I have earlier bought their FFL for the 1920´s and was sorely disappointed, really poor sculpts with strange body proportions and lack of detail on weapons and equipment. On the other hand their Ethiopians are very well designed, only a bit static. There seems to be two designers working for Askari, anyone have a grip who has done what in their catalogue? It can be abit hard to tell from the pictures

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Askari Miniatures - two designers?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 02:36:03 PM »
I agree that Askari has at least two sculptors, and have my own suspicions. 

Al at Askari is a really great guy, and produces 28mm models available nowhere else.  In email correspondence he admitted that he is the sculptor for the mules and horses.  Al once wrote that he wanted to keep his sculptor's name out of the limelight so that other companies wouldn't try to hire him away from Askari. 

Before the Russian Colonial figures were officially released I had sample models in hand showing a very clear dichotomy between the hands of two sculptors, the 'original' sculptor, and onother  with what looked like a finer grasp of anatomy.  Al asked me for opinions and I gave 'em. 

On two occasions I encouraged Al to buy 28mm 'dollies' and compel his mysterious sculptor to use them, but Al seemed to resist that idea. 

My suspicion, though I have no real evidence, is that Al himself is the original sculptor and that most of the 'funny anatomical proportions' are his own work. 

That said, I have painted up plenty of Askari figures, and really like them, from either sculptor. 

Chick
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:38:50 PM by chicklewis »
"Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof."

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 05:45:53 PM »
Chick, thanks for your comments. In some way the "second" designers work seems familiar. It would be interesting to know who it is. I agree that the period the ranges cover are really interesting. I was just put off by some of the peculiar anatomy of the FFL. Some headswops improved it though. I am tempted by those dismounted Circassians. Do you know if they are done by Al or the mysterious "No 2"

Offline panzagl

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:41:04 AM »
AFAIK, other than the animals Al uses another sculptor.  I'll send him this thread.

Rich

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 02:20:50 PM »
Traveller, it seems that Askari mixes poses from both sculptors in some packs, so knowing which one sculpted any given pack is problematic.  Here's a new release of 'safari servants'

http://www.askari-minis.com/webstore/popup_image.php?pID=206

The three figures on the left are by sculptor #2, the one on the right is sculptor #1. 

I believe if you look carefully at the expanded photos on the website you should be able to tell whether or not the proportions are proper to your eye. 

And yes, the FFL are, in my opinion, the nadir of the 'funny anatomy' for Askari Miniatures.  Everything else you will find to be superior.  It is a shame that they were your first purchase. 

I'll go look at the Circassians and give you an opinion.

Edit:  Both of the foot Circassians are sculpted with long arms compared to the length of their legs, so they are very likely by sculptor #1.  However, you might purchase them anyway, as NOBODY else, afaik, offers similar 28mm figures, and they will look just fine painted on the table. 

Chick
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 07:36:57 PM by chicklewis »

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 06:27:32 PM »
Chick,

thanks for your advice. "Arms longer than legs"...scary....

Maybe Outpost would be abetter catch:

http://www.outpostwargameservices.co.uk/images/Web%20Photos/russo_turkish/rtwr10.jpg

and there seems to be more on the way if you look at the workbench masters

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 04:29:02 AM »
And yes, the FFL are, in my opinion, the nadir of the 'funny anatomy' for Askari Miniatures.  Everything else you will find to be superior.  It is a shame that they were your first purchase. 

The 20s FFL were going to be my first purchase from Askari too, in a while when I have a gaming budget again... the photos weren't great, but I've seen bad photos hurting decent figures before. Benefit of the doubt, and all that... Hmm.

I might still pick up enough for a unit or two; nobody else makes interwar FFL so far. And the rest of the Askari range has filled in some nice gaps - the safari servants, dig workers, etc.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 09:41:30 AM »
nobody else makes interwar FFL so far. And the rest of the Askari range has filled in some nice gaps - the safari servants, dig workers, etc.

The best you will find are the Foundry ones designed by Copplestone:

http://foundryarchive.co.uk/historical_ranges/single_packs/darkest_africa/french/french_foreign_legion_ffl001/

Also don´t forget Artizan, there you will find some good FFL, designed for WW2 but might do with a tweak.

The new Woodbine French might also do.

Unfortunately the Askari ones are butt ugly...

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 02:22:47 PM »
Ooops !  Very embarassing.  Just got an email from Al at Askari, who read this thread and it sounds like I unintentionally insulted him.  Turns out the 'About Askarii' website does say that sculptor #1 is Tony Aldritch. 

http://www.tonyaldrich.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:25:12 PM by chicklewis »

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 08:04:11 PM »
I always assumed there were two sculptors from the way they vary so much.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.