Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:54:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686592
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Full English - 36 ECW battle pics  (Read 34095 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Captain Blood's Full English - 36 ECW battle pics
« on: June 12, 2010, 03:23:14 PM »
Well, you’ve seen almost all these figures before in dribs and drabs, but here’s the entire ECW collection – now complete, at least for now - on the tabletop together. It’s almost 3 years work, although to be fair I have been painting quite a lot of other stuff as well in this time!

The figures are mostly Bicorne and Renegade, with a few TAG and one or two figures from Warlord, Redoubt and Copplestone.

Purists will immediately notice the almost total absence of pikemen – that’s because I’m mainly going to use this collection for large scale skirmish gaming along hedgerows, in village streets and through sieges – not for open field battles which hold little interest for me. Skirmishing pikemen seem a bit of an anomaly, so to be honest, I haven’t really bothered with them for the most part.

Painting: Foot mainly painted by C17th maestro, Baner; Horse, guns, and crews painted by me, with a unit or two of horse just completed for me by the excellent Redzed. (I confess that having painted more than 90 horses and riders, I ran out of steam for the last 15 or so, and subbed them out!) Flags and the basing of all figures is down to me, and the terrain is too - except the buildings which are cheap and cheerful Conflix pieces.

I’d love to tell you this was an actual game in action, but I’m afraid it’s not. The first game will actually be in about a month’s time. For the purposes of taking some pictures of the collection, I set up the table, deployed, and then moved the units into what feels like a reasonable early-mid game situation as the two armies are about to join battle in earnest…

Hope you like it  :)

The field of battle at first deployment…

The Royalist guns ready for action…

Safely behind the village, Royalist commanders consult…

The Royalist Blew regiment advance downhill and through a cabbage patch to engage the helmeted parliamentary foot of the New Model.

The New Model musketeers with Spoons’ Militia advancing behind them to secure the fields and fences.

In the centre, Fondling’s Regt. of Foot scale a stone wall to advance on the Roundheads, whilst behind them, Fondling’s Horse begin their advance…

Other Royalist horse move forward between the houses and fields to engage the parliament men.

On the South bank of the river, a parliamentary saker covers the advance of Spoons’ Militia over the old bridge, urged on by the zeal-to-the-Lord psalms of their firebrand preacher.

While the light parliamentary galloper guns have been manhandled into a commanding position, to support the parliamentary thrust over the river…

Sir Edgar Spoons urges his men forward across the bridge to join the battle, as the main body of parliamentary horse move up onto the central ridge…

Meanwhile, by the new bridge, more New Model infantry cross to the North Bank to secure the parliamentary right flank.

Parliament advances

While parliamentary commanders consult…

On the Royalist left flank, Sir George Prettie's Regt. of Foote move to secure the ford across the river – only to find parliamentary horse almost upon them, with New Model infantry occupying the heights opposite them…

Another body of parliamentary horse deploy along the river to overwhelm Prettie’s Greencoats (Redzed painted these)

In the centre of the field meanwhile, the main body of Royalist horse, comprising Sir Thos. Fondling’s Regt. of Horse, and the Blew Regt. of Horse begin to trot into the jaws of death – the massed ranks of Ironsides facing them…

The Royalist reserve of cuirassiers swing left to support the Greencoats (Redzed painted the four figures on the right)

The Ironsides (there are 40 of the buggers!) begin to canter down from the ridge…

The two massed bodies of horse surge towards each other. Death or glory!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Captain Blood's Full English - 36 ECW battle pics
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 03:38:20 PM »
Absolutely stunning!   :o  There are no words I can think of to show how lovely that is.  At first glance some of those pictures look like a reenactment.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 03:41:16 PM »
This is THE best thing I have seen on here, and I've seen some fantastic stuff in this forum. :o

What do I need to do to get put in your will and inherit these?

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 03:42:21 PM »
Marvellous display, enough to make absolutely anybody jealous. Can't see how you could better it tbh.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 04:01:03 PM »
 :o :o :o Really impressive  :-* :-* :-*

Now some questions… ::)

Which manufacturers do the best overall* ECW figures in your opinion? (*Artillery, Infantry and Cavalry)

Do you think that doing the basing on all the figures yourself helps to make the different painting styles come together? (not that yours and Redzed’s are that different)

What size are the bases of the Cavalry figures? (Just out of curiosity)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 04:10:15 PM by Calimero »
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 04:07:36 PM »
Stunning, Cap'n, absolutely stunning.

Can you tell us how many figures are on the table? (You know I'm an obsessive for details like that!)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 04:12:11 PM »
100% amazing! :-*

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 04:17:17 PM »
 :-*

Simply wonderful. That table is still looking great too, crammed with painted goodness!  8)

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 04:18:04 PM »
That is just incredible Captain! :-*  I would love to heard what is being fielded there too! :D

Darkoath

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »
H ..F..S..

this is simply amazing Sir !
I just like to watch the scenery and  miniatures and start dreaming.
Thank you !

Björn
, ,

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 05:09:06 PM »
 :-*

Wonderful!  

What a super collection and board!

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 05:19:39 PM »
That just made my year. I'll be back to ask questions after I change my pants and maybe have a smoke.  :-*

Offline timg

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 05:21:26 PM »
Thats what i call a full English!  :-*

Offline Lhankor

• Lurker
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 05:29:32 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have been having a bit of a problem motivating myself to keep painting my ECW figures. Motivation is no longer a problem.

These figures are truly inspirational and a joy to look at. And the terrain is outstanding as well.

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 05:37:32 PM »
Stunning work Captain :o :o :oThank you for sharing ,it was a great way to start my Day