Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:02:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Full English - 36 ECW battle pics  (Read 34096 times)

Offline Captaingeneral

• Scientist
  • BLOCKBUSTER
    • http://captaingeneral.co.uk
Re: Captain Blood's Full English - 36 ECW battle pics
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2010, 09:33:06 AM »
 :o
I've said it before and I'll say it again, these pics are probably the most inspiring I have ever seen!
(Royalist Cuirassiers and all!  ;))
To my mind, It's very evocative of the kind of smaller actions that took place all over the country at that time, when pikemen would have been of limited use.

Thanks for pointing out the thread on that 'other forum' haven't had such a laugh in a long time! lol

Keep up the sublime work!
CG
As the vulture flutters down,
The snake sheds it\'s dove,
Willem\'s cutting off his fingers,
So they\'ll fit into the glove.... http://captaingeneral.co.uk

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2010, 04:37:01 PM »
Wow!   :o
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2010, 01:55:50 PM »
 :o OK, I'll just settle for watching football for the rest of this month...  o_o
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline nickthegreek

• Bookworm
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2010, 02:36:06 AM »
Damn you Captain Blood,

You have diverted my energy in completing my WWI project, an inspired me to pick up the brush and revisit my languishing Royalist army.

Fortunately the reinforcements I need from Renegade are a lot more affordable than when I bought their ECW range when they first came out.

My question to you sir, is which colours/brand did you use to achieve the purple/crimson, blue, and yellow buff for the Royalist horse? also any recommendations on the yellow required to do Talbot's foot? I was thinking of trying the Foundry paint system for the first, instead of my usual Coat D'Arms or Reaper pallets?

Many thanks for any assistance,

Nick
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 02:44:05 AM by nickthegreek »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2010, 10:28:21 AM »
nickthegreek - thanks  ;)

Honestly, I'm not sure of the colours I used on any particular figures now, as some of these were painted 1 - 2 years ago. But I only use Vallejo and occasionally GW paints, and the 'craft acrylic' which goes various names of Inscribe / Prism / Palmier.

I personally like my buff coats to be quite yellow - rather than buff. I also try to get slight tonal variations from figure to figure, some more brown, some more yellow. I can tell you that I always start from either GW 'snakebite leather' or Inscribe / Palmier 'caramel', with various amounts of Inscribe / Palmier black and white added for deeper tones or highlights, and added yellowness by mixing in a bit of Vallejo 'deep yellow'. It's a strong pigment, so you don't need much.

Think the purple / crimson is actually just a bright red with a bit of black mixed in, then gradually lightened with white to make a dusky pink. Similarly with the blue. Pretty simple really. I work from a few basic colours and use black, white and yellow to create more interesting hues. Can't be doing with all those squillions of colours available in the various systems.

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2010, 03:05:38 AM »
WOW - WOW

:o  :o  :o
"May the dice of your God's roll like the breasts of your favorite concubine."  Graeme "Henry" Henderson, Dumfries c1980

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2010, 08:55:25 AM »
Breathtaking - great figures and terrain!  :o

In fact I'm really jealous!  :-*

Offline doobry

• Student
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2010, 10:04:49 AM »
Can you still get inscribe paints,they seem to have disappeareed?

iain

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2010, 10:49:06 PM »
Can you still get inscribe paints,they seem to have disappeareed?

iain

Yes, you can, but Daler-Rowney stopped doing them under the Inscribe brand name - which (as far as I can tell) was just a relabelling of an imported craft acrylic called Prism made by Palmer in the States - exactly the same packaging, same colour names, even the same product codes - just a slightly different label.
But it's exactly the same stuff.
I now buy mine online from Fred Aldous in the UK. Which interestingly, they are still selling as Inscribe - even though they're sending out bottles of Prism  ::)

Here you are: http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/shop-online/inscribe-59ml-acrylic-paint.htm

Don't make the mistake of buying Decoart or Anita's craft acrylic instead. They look like similar ranges, but both are horrible, viscous, semi-translucent sh*t. The Anita's being the worst of all.
Unlike the gorgeously smooth, opaque, matt (and ludicrously cheap!) Inscribe / Prism product. Best paint I use. Far superior to all the stupidly priced 'hobby' paint 'systems'.  ;)

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2010, 01:30:51 AM »
Here you are: http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/shop-online/inscribe-59ml-acrylic-paint.htm

Thanks for the link Captain. One of our $2.00 shops here in Australia used to sell the range many years ago when I managed to stock pile a few bottles. They’re slowly running out so your link will come in handy... if they post to Australia.

Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2010, 04:05:25 AM »
Looking over the layout, there is only one small contribution needed to fully enjoy and appreciate it;

A full weekend free, friends to play the game out with, drinks and munchies, BBQ saturday evening, short nap time and finish the game up on sunday!!
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2010, 08:51:12 AM »

Don't make the mistake of buying Decoart or Anita's craft acrylic instead. They look like similar ranges, but both are horrible, viscous, semi-translucent sh*t.

Sounds almost like some of my GW paints  lol  ;)

Seriously, hearing that you have to buy your CRAFT acrylics online, makes me feel much better about the hardship I sometimes endure to get the hobby stuff I want....   :)