Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:55:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686601
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mediaeval Posts go in 'Other Adventures' ????  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
  • Never Too Early for a Refreshing Beverage!
    • The Bengal Club
Mediaeval Posts go in 'Other Adventures' ????
« on: June 14, 2010, 05:09:08 AM »
No clue if I've put this in the correct place,

Last Friday the Bengalis had a splendid buffet (some LAF members already know about this, and the absence of neckties) and played a DBM Hussite Game.

I thought that the poor old German/HRE were doomed, but afterwards we found out that we were 1 stand away from beating all those Warwagons.  But, of course, our army broke first.  However, the game does  have me intrigued.   So now I'm toying with the idea of building a Hussite Wars Holy Roman Empire army.

If I remember correctly, from one of the old Osprey books, 'German' armor in the 1420's was more old fashioned - not older, or cheaper, but they kept the older styles - because they weren't under the same pressures from the longbow (in France) and scientific warfare (in Italy).  If that's correct, then important people (the Emperor, Bishops, etc.) would have newer style armor, ordinary knights might look like.... Poiters era knights?  But what about the foot sloggers?

I think I remember from somewhere that Livery & Maintenance was more developed in England than on the continent, but what colors would be typical?  For earlier mediaevals I trot out my coffee table book of the Bayeaux Tapestry and use that to indicate the dye colors available.  But what would be typical/popular?  English men-at-arms frequently wore livery in two colors - red on the right, white on the left, etc. - but is that typically English?  And not continental?

I've actually started painting some Foundry mounted knights that were too early for my other armies.  So perhaps this is just a sneaky way to start painting figures that don't fit in with the rest of the stuff?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Mediaeval Posts go in 'Other Adventures' ????
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 06:52:10 AM »
Yes, Medieval topics come in 'other' adventures. Unless of course their traffic becomes phenomenal and needs a board of its own.  ;)

Liveries were quite common in Europe, it's just that English ones are more prominently mentioned in the history books. Paris militia wore red and yellow iirc and the house of Bourbon wore green, white and red (don't quote me on this).

Armour is a difficult one and I believe that armour would survive and be adapted for quite a while after it was fashionable. However having the most modern style was a matter of prestige, plus there was no guarantee that a father's armour would do for his son. Only the cheap end of the range came 'off the peg' and an ill-fitting suit of full armour was a liability to its wearer.