Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:21:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686597
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The generic tools thread.  (Read 79763 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: The generic tools thread.
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2022, 07:14:55 AM »
I visited the World Model Expo in Veldhoven (NL) earlier this summer (July) and when doing the rounds of the vendor stalls, I came across this beauty.

A thing of beauty indeed.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2022, 08:16:55 PM »
When I ordered my HobbyZone setup, I received everything I ordered, plus two types of small complimentary brush racks. Now these were something I had never even thought of, but there they were and I naturally glued them together. And because I had them, I decided to start using one of them (the nicer of the two) too!

And I realy liked them; it kept the brushes off the table and away from implements such as knives, but also (sanding) dust and all other clutter that populates a hobbyists desk mid-project*.

But there was a problem with these handy little things; they only had room for two brushes, while I usually have about four on hand during painting (not counting drybrushes, glue brushes, messy trash brushes etc; just the good ones).

I overcame this by using one cut-out for two brushes, but this obviously was not ideal.

Also; I like to have everything on my desk in the same place, so I can reach for it blindly mid-work, and my water cup always wanders around the desk for some reason, sometimes ending up on the wrong side of my work area! (yes, this means I'm a south-paw, as evidenced by the pictures ;) ).

So I came up with an idea some time ago; why not combine a larger capacity brush stand with a cup holder, which can also be stored in a slot in the HobbyZone rack?
And this weekend, that idea came to fruition. I went from a 3-dimensional concept drawing to precicely measured 1:1 templates to MDF-components in one afternoon.

I did most of the cutting with a table-saw and circular saw, but the slots and tabs, which were there for strength of the construction, were cut by hand, with a jigsaw.
However; no matter how precise the measurements and templates were, the manual sawing did result in some less precise cuts, which in turn led to the whole thing not being entirely square and it kind of shows. But hey; it's functional and the imperfections are not very obvious at first sight, so I'm satisfied. For now...

Here it is, in its intended spot on the table:

And here it is, when stored away:

For those who are wonderign: the brushes are stored in a seperate wooden box. It's an old GW brush box I won in a painting contest many, many years ago (2004?). (it still has the original bar of soap and piece of cloth in it, and even now, whenever I open the box and smell that soap, it brings a smile to my face :) ).

So yeah; there you have it; another add-on to my desk... :D

* Don't let the pristine pictures I share here fool you; when I'm full tilt hobbying, my desk is as chaotic, messy and overflowing as anyone's.
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2022, 06:48:18 PM »
ah, broken image links I'm afraid mate.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2022, 10:05:36 PM »
Same old certificate issue again I think. Try Firefox or DuckduckGo; they accept them for sure...  :(

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2022, 12:37:08 AM »
Can't see them in firefox myself.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2022, 08:23:37 PM »
So, for all of you with better security than apparently my service provider can offer, here are the pictures, without the waffle...  ::)

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2022, 09:07:45 PM »
A good addition to your desk.  Anything that reduces the ease of tipping your water over is a good thing.

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2023, 10:19:07 PM »
So last month the stars misalligned and madness took me...
I ordered a laser engraver... first lesson learned before the damn thing even arrived: If you order a diode engraver for wargaming you really really want an air assist* unit on top, because you most likely don't want to surface engrave, you want to cut or even relief engrave.

Now waiting for vacation time to set it up and try my first runs. But already I have questions: Any idea where to buy additional pairs of protective goggles? Do those need some specifications on wavelength of my laser? So the laser needs to be under surveilance because it's (quite understandably) a severe fire hazard but I guess looking straight at it is bad?

*fancy name for a compressor with a tube blowing carbon dust out of the cut
Far less active than I used to...

Offline jamie.grinstead

• Schoolboy
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2024, 05:13:12 PM »
I came across these in a Stockholm game store a few weeks ago:

"Army Painter Masterclass Dry Brushes" is the rather pretentious name, but when I saw them I knew exactly how  and what for I could use them.

If you do the light directional highlights, i.e up  to down, I would say your best choice  is  a flat, stiff brut with thin bristles. Sometimes however you want  to apply highlights with a circular motion, for example when dry brushing ground elements, like flagstones, and then these come in handy.

These brushes have very fine, soft hair but as they are short and set rather densely they old their shape very well. They hold just the right amount of paint and due to the fine hair does not offload streaks or blobs in wiped off properly.

I would not be surprised to learn that they originally come from the cosmetics industry. These set me back about €22 so you may find cheaper substitutes by rooting through your daughters beauty kit.

For me, they have also been a very successful discovery. These brushes have always been there... I bought these dry brushes https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/359-dry-brushes in a set for 23€, only +1€, and they have 4 brushes instead of 3 brushes.

I've been using them this Christmas and they work very well, they don't break the hair like most makeup brushes.