Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:00:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My workbench  (Read 357660 times)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: My workbench
« Reply #660 on: August 22, 2017, 02:32:05 AM »
Nice job! Just cleaning up my room after dumping the GenCon acquisitions.  Sometimes you just need to tidy up to get motivated to paint again.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #661 on: September 17, 2017, 02:17:13 PM »
This does seem like a FINE way of getting to know each other; i.e., what speaks more about the inner being of a person that their workplace...other than an ex wife that is.
This is my main work station:

The painting/modeling area:

Works In Progress of the larger sort with some sorting in the boxes:

Photo Stages & materials:

My room mate; she likes greeting visitors at the door:

AND The Skeleton in the closet:

There you have it...light the torches!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #662 on: September 17, 2017, 09:12:57 PM »
Nothing really surprises me there. The only question I have is why did you board up the back of the closet? Sure, Jadis can cause some fear, but her powers don't have much use here. (Unless it's to stop you from tempting fate and travelling there?)
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #663 on: September 19, 2017, 01:17:30 AM »
Nothing really surprises me there. The only question I have is why did you board up the back of the closet? Sure, Jadis can cause some fear, but her powers don't have much use here. (Unless it's to stop you from tempting fate and travelling there?)

It's not really a closet. It's a wardrobe, hand made by Cap'n John & lined with cedar...pretty impressive in person.
Thanks for the reply, von Lucky. It's nice to see a familiar/friendly face over here.

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #664 on: September 25, 2017, 02:50:01 PM »
That's what I call a workbench.  :p
No women allowed in that brillant mess :)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #665 on: September 30, 2017, 06:12:40 PM »
That's what I call a workbench.  :p
No women allowed in that brillant mess :)

Thanks, Treebeard. I am glad you like it. The few females that have viewed the room have never returned...so much for a social life.

Offline jmilesr01

• Librarian
    • lair of the Uber Geek
« Reply #666 on: June 11, 2018, 11:12:47 AM »
It's been awhile since someone posted here so I thought I'd throw in a post about some "reclaimed" space.  Next to my gaming room in the basement thee is a small 8ft x 8ft bump out that I finally decided to clear out.  I used to have my HO scale layout in that room (my prior hobby to wargaming).  Anyway, as part of a de-cluttering decree from my lovely, yer fierce wife I finally decided to pack up the railroad stuff and see about re-using that space.

After some thinking and approval from management of my plan the room was cleared up with one half being used for storage and the other half being used for a scenery workbench. 

The right side will be used to store my sectional terrain panels:

The storage racks were built out of scrap plywood

I've also got some 2ft x 2ft panels which will take up the rest of the space to the left of the panels.

The other half of the room will be a scenery workbench and have storage for all my scenting materials.  Its the first time I've gotten all this stuff in one place, so hopefully I'll be a bit more efficient and not re-buy stuff because I can't find it.  My lack of organization and the convienance of Amazon Prime same day delivery "may" have resulted in more than a few duplicates..

And finally, a shot of the workbench being used for it's first gaming scenery project - staining some Lunesdargent Egyptian themed dungeon tiles.  These will be used in my upcoming 2018 Historicon games "DAK & Dragons" and it's modern equivalent "SOCOM & Sorcery"

Miles
http://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #667 on: June 11, 2018, 11:39:16 AM »
Oh to have the space to be able to do something like that  :'(
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #668 on: June 11, 2018, 11:45:27 AM »
Oh to have the space to be able to do something like that  :'(

Indeed.

Offline jthomlin

• Scientist
    • My Trade site
« Reply #669 on: June 12, 2018, 02:16:22 PM »
In the light of my paint shaker disaster I thought I best post an update on my cave, if only to show I have done something right recently ...  ;D

I have been in a bit of a hobby funk for the last year or so, as accumulated detritus had so taken over that any thought of being productive was quickly extinguished by the hours of cleanup required before even starting.

So radical action was needed, the 'lead wall' was moved to the garage (after a solid week of cleaning it out), the two 1.2M Ikea 'Jerker' desks met a similar fate and 5.4M of pallet racking was installed. I had some special extra legs made for the racking so that the second shelf on each unit could extend out as a workbench, maximizing shelving and bench space.

The whole cave, computer and painting benches on the left, casting and construction on the right and my handy dandy tool trolley at the rear.

Lower shelf with computers ...

With all the extra bench space I needed more lighting, so I got some high CRI LED strip from store.yujiintl.com and made a strip and modified a couple of 'death rays' out of some Ikea lamps ...

The result is just about the perfect lighting setup for painting, the following shot shows the lights on with two 'triple bright' fluro's on the right and the LED's on the left ...

Cheers!
Joe Thomlinson
"There is a pleasure sure In being mad which none but madmen know."

~John Dryden, The Spanish Friar, 1681

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #670 on: June 12, 2018, 03:16:50 PM »
In the light of my paint shaker disaster I thought I best post an update on my cave, if only to show I have done something right recently ...  ;D

I have been in a bit of a hobby funk for the last year or so, as accumulated detritus had so taken over that any thought of being productive was quickly extinguished by the hours of cleanup required before even starting.

So radical action was needed, the 'lead wall' was moved to the garage (after a solid week of cleaning it out), the two 1.2M Ikea 'Jerker' desks met a similar fate and 5.4M of pallet racking was installed. I had some special extra legs made for the racking so that the second shelf on each unit could extend out as a workbench, maximizing shelving and bench space.

The whole cave, computer and painting benches on the left, casting and construction on the right and my handy dandy tool trolley at the rear.

Lower shelf with computers ...

With all the extra bench space I needed more lighting, so I got some high CRI LED strip from store.yujiintl.com and made a strip and modified a couple of 'death rays' out of some Ikea lamps ...

The result is just about the perfect lighting setup for painting, the following shot shows the lights on with two 'triple bright' fluro's on the right and the LED's on the left ...

Cheers!
Joe Thomlinson

That's not a workbench. That is a Spectre Lair.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 03:28:06 PM by Hammers »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #671 on: June 12, 2018, 03:24:34 PM »
That's not a workbench. That is a Specter Lair.

lol

Some serious lighting there  8)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #672 on: June 12, 2018, 09:14:10 PM »
That's not a workbench. That is a Spectre Lair.

I KNOW that you are right but I just cannot find that damned white cat in these pictures......

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #673 on: June 12, 2018, 09:26:11 PM »
Here is my workbench with cat outdoor enclosure through my bedroom window.

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #674 on: June 15, 2018, 01:38:45 AM »
lol

Some serious lighting there  8)

Not to mention the serious disk space in those NAS servers!  Has to be a spectre base.