Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:21:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690678
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Post-war French equipment and uniforms, and while I'm here, minis?  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Capt. E.W. Brimmage

• Librarian
Looking for some resources on post war French uniforms and equipment, and also minis. I'm exploring different avenues for a starting platoon in Secrets of the Third Reich, one idea being a platoon from the new army of liberated France, so it is always nice to have fact and reality in front of me before I go on my own path.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Post-war French equipment and uniforms, and while I'm here, minis?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 11:11:55 AM »
I am most likely wrong but I am pretty sure that, it depanded on the year and unit. Most of the free french forces were first kited out with the brits and then the US took over supplying them. So you would be safe puting them on the table with US, Brit and post war french kit.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline timg

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 11:12:39 AM »
Hi,

If your after late war/imediate post war then use US Army figures in the M41 jackets and mustards for Europe. They did have their own distinct sidecaps though such as red with blue fold for Zouaves, light blue for Tirraileurs etc whilst some Legion units still wore the kepi in the field up untill the early 60's in some cases. Some specific units still retained British kit from the Free French early days for a while like the commandos so you can basicaly use British commando figures in green berets for them.

The proper French post war kit did'nt start showing up till the late 40's when the M47 fatigues and various leopard cammo's came into use but this all took time to filter through so untill the early 50's your looking at US kit.

Not sure who makes specific French figures in the M47's etc, wish they did as always wanted to do the Algerian war. Great skirmish opportunities and exotic units like FFL, Zouaves and Paras etc. But for late 40's your safe to use US figures although the rifles might be an issue.

Anyway PM if you wish as got tons of books and actual items here so should be able to advise you.

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 11:37:05 AM »
Thanks. What sort of weaponry did they have? American? French reserves? A wild mix?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 12:50:00 AM »
A definite mix. In addition to all the pre war stuff, like MAS 36, MAS 38 FM 24/29 etc, some of which continued to be manufactured there was a substantial stock of US surplus from the US equipped Free French divisions.

A great time to do a French Army, not only can you field a few Panthers, which the French reconditioned from captured war booty but you can field the ARL 44 one of the ugliest tanks ever conceived ( imagine a Char B1 with a modernish turret and incredibly long gun barrel).

Onl;y people who make French in m47 uniforms that I can think of are Eureka. Lovely figures but teh range is 15mm. I've tried petitioning them and interesting Nic in doing a range in 28mm, there may even be a 100 club entry out there.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 02:19:49 AM »
Wow! The ARL 44 looks like something out of Warhammer 40,000!

The Westwind 1944 US platoon looks like it would be good and cheap. I think I will keep rifles from US supply and swap out the squad machine gun and heavy weapons, rather than trying to carve up 40 odd metal blokes.

What colour(s) would I paint the uniforms?

The Bolt Action Miniatures French want me to collect early war though. They look so nice...

Thankyou!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:02:04 AM by Capt. E.W. Brimmage »