Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:20:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689604
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 567
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Future Fantasy Plans  (Read 3054 times)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
Future Fantasy Plans
« on: June 26, 2010, 02:01:50 PM »
I have taken some time think about what I"m going to do fantasywise so I stop buying every single figure that looks nice on ebay! My plans are as follows:

1. Continue GRW (deadlands old west) with minimal figure buying

2. Continue Cthulhu with minimal figure buying (at the moment SA, but will try CiC soon)

3. Using 10mm figs to do the old warhammer box set scenario packs (possibly using Warhammer Second ed or maybe battlesystem)

4. Build up 6mm slowly to play large scale battlesystem

5. (and here is where I need advice) play through the WFRP Enemy Within campaign (the best fantasy rpg ever by miles) redoing just the combat. My plan is to use the combat system from the game and build up the characters by awarding ex based on completion of the enitre scenario - though obliging characters to take some or all non-combat advances and skills to aviod power characters and possibly having some of the scenarios played out. I thought about using Mordheim but it doesn't seem to have the character evolution I'm looking for... any ideas (ie do you think it will be a slow drawn out nightmare that doesn't work because of lack of character affinity?)

Thanks

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Future Fantasy Plans
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 04:17:49 PM »
I personally don't believe RPG can be easily converted into tabletop games. The calssic pen and paper games are so much more focused on social interaction while the tabletop's focus lies more on the fighting. Plus you would have to build suitable gaming tables for hundred's of locations...
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 04:58:35 PM »
I personally don't believe RPG can be easily converted into tabletop games. The calssic pen and paper games are so much more focused on social interaction while the tabletop's focus lies more on the fighting. Plus you would have to build suitable gaming tables for hundred's of locations...

Yeah, and I wanted some character develoment which is a great part of the RPG

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 06:43:33 PM »
Having just read through Dungeoneer and Blacksand I liked the bits where they reccomend using minis and scenic layouts for particularly fighty bits!

Might be tricky as the long-haired one says to get the talky, interactive bits to translate to the table - the implications for scenery are a bit mindboggling! One way round might be to run the roleplaying bit as normal but represent skirmishes on the table as the occur?

Can't wait to see your 10mm Warhammer scenarios!

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 07:32:19 PM »
Can't wait to see your 10mm Warhammer scenarios!

Rather shockingly it will be about a year due to house building delays...  :'(

Thought might ge a couple of smaller ones in on the current table!

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 07:32:51 PM »
Rather shockingly it will be about a year due to house building delays...  :'(

Thought might ge a couple of smaller ones in on the current table!

PS seen any 10mm zombies?

Offline Grün

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 09:42:34 PM »
PS seen any 10mm zombies?

Pendraken has everythink you need for 10mm Fantasy Wargaming (and of course 10mm zombies)

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 09:44:28 PM »
 I plan on sorting out my Celtos stuff and Chronopia too.Also got plans for Dwarf terrain project after getting the floor tiles from Ian at Fenris games.
 Would also like to start a Slaine project.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 10:24:02 PM »
Pendraken has everythink you need for 10mm Fantasy Wargaming (and of course 10mm zombies)

Yeah I'l probably go there, got some GW and copplestone though and pendraken seem bigger (though not as big as kallistra) and their site still lacks pics!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 10:26:39 PM by thebinmann »

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 11:58:59 AM »
5. (and here is where I need advice) play through the WFRP Enemy Within campaign (the best fantasy rpg ever by miles) redoing just the combat. My plan is to use the combat system from the game and build up the characters by awarding ex based on completion of the enitre scenario - though obliging characters to take some or all non-combat advances and skills to aviod power characters and possibly having some of the scenarios played out. I thought about using Mordheim but it doesn't seem to have the character evolution I'm looking for... any ideas (ie do you think it will be a slow drawn out nightmare that doesn't work because of lack of character affinity?)

You couldn't have chosen a worse campaign to do this with, it's very combat light and you'll pretty much have to skip power behind the throne.

The Doomstones would work much better for this idea, though there are some pretty large battles.

Have you thought about doing some D&D first eddition keep on the borderlands for example. Down load labrynth lord for free, keep on the boarderlands for 4 quid on ebay, one rpg come skirmish game for almost nothing.

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 12:01:52 PM »
Having just read through Dungeoneer and Blacksand I liked the bits where they reccomend using minis and scenic layouts for particularly fighty bits!

You got them in the end then? I love these books, first adventures I ever GMed. Combat is a bit long winded and not much room to grow with experiance but overall a very robust little system. May even use it as an introduction for my son in like 6 years time, he's bound to hate it...

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 01:03:44 PM »
You couldn't have chosen a worse campaign to do this with, it's very combat light and you'll pretty much have to skip power behind the throne.

The Doomstones would work much better for this idea, though there are some pretty large battles.

Have you thought about doing some D&D first eddition keep on the borderlands for example. Down load labrynth lord for free, keep on the boarderlands for 4 quid on ebay, one rpg come skirmish game for almost nothing.

I know it's combat light, but the combats are interesting and could be linked to play a few in a night.

I'd have to find something from PBT because IMO it's the best fantasy rpg ever (at least it was with our GM)