Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:00:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690783
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Solomon Kane RPG  (Read 6688 times)

Offline cwchmc

• Scientist
Solomon Kane RPG
« on: August 09, 2006, 05:01:09 PM »
Just came across this: http://gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=21946&mode=thread&order=0

I'm a huge REH fan so I am VERY excited about this. I think the SW rules will work well for the setting. I can't wait to hear more details.

Chuck

Offline JonnyQuest

• Lurker
Solomon Kane RPG
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 07:18:02 PM »
I'm looking forward to this too. It's been something I've wanted to game for a long time. And Savage Worlds is a great system to do it with.
- Jonny Quest

"Golly, Race!"

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Solomon Kane RPG
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 08:38:43 PM »
well.... I think I must have it just for being a Howard Fan. My whole life I read and reread his stories and he gave me a great time. Iam looking forward to it although I dont know whos gonna play it with me here in Kiel...
Thanks for this news.
Björn
, ,

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Solomon Kane RPG
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 08:48:49 PM »
Quote from: "Driscoles"
well.... although I dont know whos gonna play it with me here in Kiel...

Buy it for the source material and then bug Pete that Solomon Kane has to be next after the release of Gloire. :wink:
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Solomon Kane RPG
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 07:45:39 AM »
I will Rich....Alas I will !
Björn

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Solomon Kane RPG
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 02:53:57 PM »
I have to admit that Solomon Kane was a possible expansion I'd been thinking about for Gloire, so I'm not exactly the most objective of observers. Coupled with my ignorance of the SW mechanics, I'm not really disposed to comment on the playability of the game.

I will tell you that 256 pages, color, and a big name illustrator are rather nice draws. I wish I had that budget to work with. :cry: I've noticed quite a few RPG products these days are more like graphic novels or concept art books with some game material interspersed. Not that this is bad! But it does mean that you have to have a splashy game to woo the crowd.

I do think Solomon Kane and the Witchfinder genre is something that has lots of potential for games and minis, well beyond another warband in Mordheim, or a character class in WHFRPG. More minis would be nice, but I don't see them coming any time soon. It's easier to release a rulebook than take chances on a miniatures line, I think.

Offline cwchmc

• Scientist
Solomon Kane RPG
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 03:44:05 PM »
i've played SW and its a good system for Pulp IMO. Also it lends itself very well to using minis. But as Rich said, I will buy Solomon Kane whether I play the RPG or not (I probably will) and use it for reference for other games. I already intended to use Gloire for Solomon Kane inspired games and I would certainly purchase a Gloire supplement that is more attuned to that sort of game.
Flashy games are nice but i also enjoy the smaller print games like .45 Adventure. The authors' love of the subject matter is usually very prominent in these types of books, and with the prevalence of PDF they are available for not too much investment. I'm sure you and Rich would love to have a large print of your games like SW with flashy art, hard cover, etc but really all that is just decoration. I think most gamers are going to be more impressed with substance and from what I've seen so far, that is where a lot of small print games really deliver.

Chuck

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Solomon Kane RPG
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 05:02:05 PM »
Quote from: "cwchmc"
I already intended to use Gloire for Solomon Kane inspired games and I would certainly purchase a Gloire supplement that is more attuned to that sort of game.

Does that mean I can put you down for a preorder? :mrgreen:

A giant art budget would be nice, but I'd rather have a game mechanic that was solid and companies producing miniatures whose marketing included the phrase "also suitable for Gloire."

Besides, the art for Gloire is phenomenal. Best to date.

Offline cwchmc

• Scientist
Solomon Kane RPG
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 05:07:17 PM »
For the forseeable future, Rattrap can put me down for pretty much anything they produce ESPECIALLY if it somehoe relates to REH and/or HPL

Chuck

Offline DarkWingDuck

• Assistant
    • http://thedarkwing.blogspot.com
Solomon Kane RPG
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 05:20:38 PM »
I agree with "cwchmc". Savage Worlds is a good system for Pulp.

In fact, that's what it was designed for ... Pulp anything.

The story goes, that the author played a game of Deadlands (a very complex RPG which he wrote) followed by a game of Great Rail Wars (a skirmish level miniatures game, which he wrote too), and realized he had alot more fun (and alot more "story" happened) during the Great Rail Wars game. So he added RPG trappings to Great Rail Wars ... and thus was born Savage Worlds.

At it's heart, it's a skirmish level wargame. Many of the official scenarios/campaigns end in a climatic skirmish game.

If I had to list negatives (some of these are positives with regard to the RPG side):
1. There's a learning curve to combat. There are a bunch of combat options which make sense to use at different times (i.e. Called Shots, Wild Attacks, Aiming, Charges, Intimidation, Tricks, Taunts, etc.)
2. High Toughness monsters are non-linearly tougher. i.e. a Dragon with toughness 24 is much much tougher than a Ogre with toughness 12. To take out the Dragon, you'll probably need to make Called Shots to the Eye (where it lacks it's scaly armor), Aim, and maybe even have someone Taunt it ... even then you'll need to be lucky).
3. Dice statistics are a little wonky. Nothing more than a few percentile points ... but this sometimes really bothers people.

All it really needs is some way to assign experience to models actions on the table top (borrow Mordhiems) and you can use the RPG character advancement rules to get a pretty good campaign system too!

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Solomon Kane RPG
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 05:39:24 PM »
Hey Pete,

I sure will buy Gloire too and if you make a Solomon Kane sequell to it I will get me this one as well...

Although I was thinking to play a short Salomon Kane Adventure with the .45 Rules soon...I will get me your stuff  :)

We are all the same....

Björn

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Solomon Kane RPG
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 10:21:57 PM »
Quote from: "Driscoles"
Although I was thinking to play a short Salomon Kane Adventure with the .45 Rules soon...I will get me your stuff  :)

You really want to wait for the Gloire rules. I got a look at the unedited manuscript this morning and the changes we have made to close combat will really knock your socks off.

We're talking some very fluid and "swashbuckly" action!

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Solomon Kane RPG
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 07:22:08 AM »
knock your socks off...

Ok Rich....your word in Gods eardrum....

You make me curious !

Björn