Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:16:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gone too far? **UPDATED PICS**.  (Read 12938 times)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
Gone too far? **UPDATED PICS**.
« on: July 02, 2010, 11:33:20 AM »
I'm trying to put together the British Airbourne Brigade. Basically their role is to reconnoitre ahead of any substantial landing and form a beach head. They can also be used for lightning raids. Their form of transport is by adapted nefs capable of reaching high altitude to make use of speed and  rapid stomach churning descents onto their targets.

With all this in mind I want the Airbourne Brigade to be wearing masks and be something slightly out of the ordinary. I decided on the West Wind gas mask heads with adrian helmets but as they are relatively small I struggled to find comaptible figures to stick them on. My first thought was to stick them on the Redoubt, Ironclad or Black Pyramid Home Service Brits but its not a good match. Then I noticed I've got some Redoubt colonials (they are smaller than the Home Service figs) and hey presto, good match.

The only thing is, now I've painted the first figure the seed of doubt is growing rapidly at the back of my mind and is about to go into full bloom! I'm thinking the final result (rifle aside) looks too modern for VSF; maybe steampunk or even pulp!

I could do with your feedback and advice on any alternatives if you think its not doing it for you.

Anyway, enough guff and here's a pic. I painted the helmets to make them look leather rather than metal. Sorry the pic is slightly out of focus, the camera is in a mood and will not obey its master:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:49:57 PM by Thunderchicken »
Don't!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: Gone too far? Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 11:36:12 AM »
Far from an expert  ::) on the subject but I like it.  :) 8)

What are the factors that put you on edge for the miniature?

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 11:39:29 AM »
Its hard to put my finger on it Glenn, something is bugging me about it but I'm not sure what. I just get the feeling it may look out of place in a VSF environment.

Then again opinion may convince me there's nothing to worry about and to get the units painted up!  ;)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 11:47:36 AM »
It might be the fact that the mask and helmet are the same colour, not sure at all but I guess its something easy to experiment with.
Right now the two very different colours of drab helmet and bright uniform somewhat group the helmet and mask together into a single unit I think.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 11:52:10 AM »
Gone to far? With VSF? Surely that is a contradiction in terms. :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 11:55:17 AM »
Paint the helmet black leather to blend with the boots, perhaps because its brown it sticks out more?

Maybe file off the ridge along the top of the Adrian helmet to make it look less recogniseable?

He's fine though, perhaps you are being over critical, just go ahead and paint all ten, now there's a good fellow. ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
    • http://z11.invisionfree.com/Kashindan/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 12:23:01 PM »
Yeah looks okay to m i agree with the comment about the mask and helmet blending in a little.  The rest is just a case of get on with it now ;)

Become who you really are... [/i]

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 12:24:47 PM »
Somehow, the dark helmet and mask look too WW1-ish for my taste. I wonder if you could have a bonewhite, or bleached khaki helmet, with some more lighter shades added to the mask, just so it does look more  "T.H. Underchyffe's patented cranium protector and respirator apparatus" than trench grime.

It could also be a case of browns not working in harmony with blues. I may be a bit picky on that, but I try to avoid that combination as much as possible.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 12:30:54 PM »
You could paint the helmet brass colour. brass always helps.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 12:31:27 PM »
My opinion, for what it's worth, is that he looks too French and too modern. Simple as that. The Adrian, though worn by loads of nations, just shouts "France" to me, and it is firmly grounded in WWI and WWII. It seems as out of place as a British Tommy's Brodie helmet would in Victorian times. It is too recognisable. I think the mask looks a bit modern too, but that is less of a problem.  I would perhaps go with the Woodbine gas hood heads instead, as they look more primitive and rudimentary (because they were). On the whole I'm not totally sold on the idea of WWI gasmasks as VSF accessories. I think an altogether new kind of design is needed, something more characteristic of the time. But if gasmasks are a must, I think the gas hood is the best option.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 12:34:27 PM »
i'd paint the helmet blue to match the uniform,

other than that you're sound.

regards

jim
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 12:36:56 PM »
You could paint the helmet brass colour. brass always helps.

I think that is a good idea. Worth a try at any rate. Perhaps paint the mask some kind of colour you wouldn't expect a WWI one to be, as well.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 12:46:17 PM »
Some cracking advice chaps, a bit of experimenting with colours methinks.

I can see where Plynkes is coming from so I might fiddle with the design of the helmet and mask. If I could have that mask with one rectangular viewing slit rather than the two familiar circular lenses I'd be a happy boy. As Malamute said, filing down the crest of the helmet will be a start.

What about a different figure? I went naval to get away from the usual infantry figs I use. The biggest problem is finding something compatible, these heads wont work with your larger 28's.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 12:48:28 PM »
Naval works fine for me as airborne troops, seems natural for Neffs to be crewed by the navy.

Offline colin_baillie

• Librarian
    • Eclipsing Binaries 15mm Scifi Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 01:06:55 PM »
My first thought was Brass as well, same as the guys above. But I was thinking maybe to have brass detailing - on the eye rims of the gasmask as well as the top ridge and badge. This may give a more Victorian embelishment to the headgear rather than the WW1 utilitarian. Other than that it looks great.