Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:07:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Murals with iron fences (Step-by-step guide) 1. UPDATE  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Elladan

• Bookworm
    • elladan.de
Murals with iron fences (Step-by-step guide) 1. UPDATE
« on: July 02, 2010, 08:37:46 PM »

For quite some time I was dreaming about some murals (cobblestone walls) with iron fences. It had been very difficult to find some well done but still affordable plastic sprues with iron fences. My attepts to built and cast some for my self didn't work either. But finally I found a source in the internet and purchased a first supply of three designs.

With the measures of the fences given I could start working on the walls. I checked out some sizes and basic designs by the use of mock-ups from foam. My decission for the first set goes for a natural stone look and for three different hights. I made a mold from the choose mock-ups and cast them in a soft white plaster. Then I began scribing the structure of the natural stones. The finished masters with the provisory applied plastic fences can be seen in the next pictures. The miniatures are 28mm Grenadiers from Artizan and Black Tree Design and show the scale.

Then I built the molds of the six masters and cast the first murals in my usual black Dental plaster (Class 4).  From the next pictures you can get the first impression how the pieces will look together. Again the miniature is a 28 mm Grenadier from Balck Tree Design and is added for scale. The damaged fence in the last picture is made by using a lighter to heat and soften the plastic and then bent the fence

Now it was time to paint the models. I decided to try a new painting technic for the natural stones to achieve an even more natural look. In the next picture you can see the old painting technic (groundcolor is dark brown, drybrush in light ochre, coloring different stones with thinned down airbrush colors (Schmincke AERO COLOR), light drybrushes with off-white and black) on the left piece and the new one on the right piece. I think the new style looks more naturalistic.

Here comes a short step-by-step guide of my new painting technic:
I started by mixing up two different colored dry pigments from MIG (Composite and Dry Mud) with enamel thinner from HUMBROL.

With an old brush I applied this mixture to the wall piece. Because the model is cast in a black dental plaster I didn't had to prime it before starting.

The following picture shows the result after some drying time.

With a wet papier tissue I removed the pigment color from the raised surfaces of the natural stones. The result of this step can be seen in the next picture.

The next step is to paint the surfaces of the single stones by carefully drybrushing them with acrylic colors. I used different shades of brown, ochre, green and off-white. The effect can be enhanced by the use of dry pigments in natural shades, which can be very carefully applied to single stones with a small synthetic brush. It is very importend to leave the dry pigments in the seams untouched. The result can be seen in the next two pictures.

To be continued ...

I hope you like it so far. Next is the painting of the iron fences an the assembly.

Ciao

Elmar
http://www.elladan.de
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 09:31:56 AM by Elladan »
I love beautiful terrain.

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
Re: Murals with iron fences (Step-by-step guide)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 08:51:09 PM »
Great work, I especially like the damaged fence.
per aspera ad astra

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 09:23:46 PM »
Yes very nice. Would you share the source of the fencing?
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 02:59:51 AM »
Really effective, your planning and research looks like it paid off.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 07:32:31 AM »
Good work. I'm looking to build something similar. As Svennn asked, where did you source the railings?
Don't!

Offline Tsune

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 07:39:35 AM »
Very nice! Looking forward for the next post.

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 08:11:56 AM »
VERY NICE    :-*   ,  also a request for the source of the fencing.   
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline Elladan

• Bookworm
    • elladan.de
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 08:59:09 AM »
Hi,

thank you for the nice comments.

@ Svennn, @ Thunderchicken and @ Rabbitz
I found the fencing with the surch string " HO fencing" in ebay. It was sold per meter. Just check the actual offers.

@ Tsune
The next part will follow todoay

Ciao

Elmar

PS: I can cast and sell the walls with fencing if somebody might be interested. Just send me a PM and we can sort out the details

Offline Elladan

• Bookworm
    • elladan.de
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 09:31:25 AM »
.... and now the second part:

Next was the painting of the iron fences. First I undercouted the plastic fences with a spray can. I decided to paint them in black, but I think they would look great in dark green, rotten metal or even white. The undercoated pieces where painted with black acrylic paints. Then I gave them a light drybrush in a dark grey. The rust was painted with a small brush to some points in a mid-brown acrylic color first. Then I added some dry pigments to enhance the effect. Sadly I didn't took pictures from this steps, but the result can be seen in the next pictures.

With the first six sections finished I took some pictures.

Here comes some more shots of the finished model, this time with some 28 mm miniatures. More pictures and some infos about the used miniatures can be found
here http://www.elladan.de/042%20East%20Block%20Future%20Warrors/042.htm
and here http://www.elladan.de/009%20Panzergrenadiers/009.htm.

That's at the moment. I hope to add some pictures with these murals in combination with terrain and miniatures in the near future.

Thank you for your interest. I would be very happy if I could give some useful hints or inspiration for your own projects.

Ciao

Elmar

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Murals with iron fences (Step-by-step guide) 1. UPDATE
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 09:38:51 AM »
*appluase*

Good looking and very useful. Would you mind revealing your source for those sprues to us?

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: Murals with iron fences (Step-by-step guide) 1. UPDATE
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 09:58:33 AM »
'Ditto Hammer'
Really beautifully painted, your stuff never ceases to amaze me.
Duncan