Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690584
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Compagnies franches de la marine  (Read 4991 times)

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Compagnies franches de la marine
« on: July 04, 2010, 01:00:07 PM »
Inspired in part by some of the great posts here I finally finished the four packs of Conquest French I've had languishing in the back of my painting since they were initially released. Besides the fact that these are well sculpted and a joy to paint it felt very good to clear these out of the backlog. Now I will have @60 Eureka provincials and the new Conquest regulars to replace them in a week or so.  ::)

That's a piece of one of the Conquest pre-painted longhouses in the background. I shot this outdoors in full sunlight, but it looks like I need a bit more work on the photography side. With a little luck I'll be able to replace these with some in-game "action" shots soon!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 01:46:36 PM by Aaron »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Compagnies franches de la marine
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 01:33:27 PM »
Much gorgeousness.   :-*  I have some of those same figures awaiting the spray can and paint brush.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 07:34:39 PM »
well done Aaron, nice painting.
Very nice garters.
Piero

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 08:22:51 PM »
Very nice looking figures Aaron. Great colours  :)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 09:07:46 PM »
Ooooo.  Those are very nice minis and a really nice paint job.  "Conquest" - are those the chaps that do all the Indians?

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 07:39:04 AM »
They look nice Aaron.

I've been sorely tempted to upscale from 15mm to 28mm using these and Eureka Miniatures. Even more so that regulars are on the way. The buildings besides being by Herb Gundt are also a bargain  ;D

Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 12:30:55 PM »
Thanks for the kind words about some truly crap photos!  :D That is the same Conquest Digits. The Indians are fantastic. I've got all of them plus the Perry Indians in my collection. I'm looking forward to bulking up my provincials and regulars to even things out a bit.

As Barry metioned, the buildings really are a steal. I think I threw a couple of quick dry-brush coats on mine but they really are nice right out of the box.

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 06:16:53 PM »
Please stop mention that the Herb longhouse Are cheap, they will increase prices  lol
I have many of them too.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 06:42:26 PM »
Good point, and I need several more for the big game we are planning to re-fight Colonel Armstrong's raid on Kittanning!

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 07:30:02 PM »
No please no raid on Kittaning, is my nickname ON a Native American forum and my name as a reenactor. lol

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 07:50:20 PM »
Oh dear! I hope you don't dress up as the unfortunate Captain Jacobs! :'( My friends wrote an article about the 1756 fight at Sideling Hill which appeared in Wargames Illustrated #271 and pictured many of my Conquest and Perry Indian figures. They are now writing a follow-up article on the raid on Kittanning and I am busily painting up a lot of the PA provincial troops which will be needed. They hope to stage this game at a convention or two and at the very least I will get some play-test photos to share. I promise not to burn the village if I am forced to play the evil Pennsylvania troops.  :D

These two actions are very interesting to me as they were pivotal moments in the life of notorious frontier figure Simon Girty. He and his family were captured in the attack on Fort Granville that immediately preceded Sideling Hill and some of his family (although not Simon) were freed after the raid on Kittanning. Simon's step-father was the one who ordered the surrender of the fort after the Indians managed to burn a hole through the pallisade. He was repaid by being tortured to death back at Kittanning!

Here is an article with a nice summary of events for anyone interested: http://pabook.libraries.psu.edu/palitmap/BattleOfKittanning.html
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 08:29:47 PM by Aaron »

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 08:28:44 PM »
Very nice. Great paintwork Aaron!
Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 10:49:08 PM »
Great stuff.  I'm in the middle of painting many of the same models myself.