Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:45:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689726
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The carpark is going to hell WIP  (Read 8985 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
The carpark is going to hell WIP
« on: July 11, 2007, 11:39:34 PM »
Well, bascially, I have almost given up on getting my painted cars back from The One. Which is discussed in another topic on another forum.

As I loaned him my entire collection apart from my Gestapo car I now have 0 models left for my moderns.

Great.

Dont really feel like it but have to rebuild the collection to reach my self set goal of at least 20 cars in various states of (un)drivability, and I have about a dozen now prepped and ready for paint, so tonight I started with this one.

At one time propably the pride of a kids collection, this Siku Ferrari has seen better days. Lately I have been snapping up broken and smashed cars just for this purpose, to use as wrecks. Maybe do me a Fallout city (I got the idea while playing the game again for the first time in 5 years  :D ) or build me a junkyard and everything in between.

Obviously, it isn't finished yet, but tried a few new things. Sped up the rust process by being a bit more crude with paint and rubbing it all over with my fingers, then inking a bit and repeating. Saved me quite some time. The glass ia another trial. At the moment I'm quite happy with it, I just need to go over em with black again to thin out the lines, and when everything is done and varnished go over it with matte varnish again like I did with my old truckwreck.

Might finish this tomorrow or let it languish for a few months, time will tell. It needs a bit more orange anyway, and the base some more beige.

Johan

PS Oh, and is there some psychologial figure in the room who can explain to me why I like making wrecks so much?
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 02:19:09 AM »
Lovely paint work, how do you achieve the rusted look?

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 05:28:50 AM »
Realy cool it is allway a pleasure to see your work  :love:

thanks Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 01:52:43 AM »
Some more progress tonight, as I found out the shop selling the MAN trucks was selling the boxes at half price I just went from shop to shop and bought 7 more boxes (thats 14 trucks and 14 cars for you). Might pick up the remaining 5 on monday.....

I'll start uparmouring a fresh one in the morning, for now this is as far as I got. The MAN is great for it as its exactly 1/72 and will look nice in green :)

The good thing about these MAN trucks is that they are 1/72 and visually makes the Yellow Benz and black.blue Volvo look good scale wise (as those are pretty near or on 1/72 . Still not a clue how to paint the box body of the Yellow fare Benz so I've asked for my gf to take some shots of trucks tomorrow and pick out the one she likes best. I told her anything goes but yellow :)

The Renault and the black Benz look quite nice next to the truck, but both are 1/55 - 1/60 models, so most 20mm figs (barely) reach to the top of the car. With the Renault its even worse due to the raised part.

Now I don't care one bit about that, as these are quite literally line of sight blockers aka Carpark filler, but when I put the true 1/72 scale cars next to them the diff is a bit too obvious. Can't be too picky though, how often do you find older cars like that at 10-50 cents a piece :) Oh well, got 14 cars from the boxes as well with quite a few Benzs so better make those Maffia as well :)

I managed to find some really old Matchbox trucks in the fleamarkets junk box which I was planning on either using on a junked base for Fallout wrecks (like the Ferrari in the earlier pictures) or painting a beat up running model for Africa or the Middle East. Though the one with the has a smashed up windscreen on the other side and is missing a rear tire (thats propably hanging around in the spares box as well somewhere. I got them cheap (well, 1 euro a piece is still a bargain in my book) as the seller knows what I do with them and I picked up about 30 models from him the last time we met

Would wrecking and painting these be sacrilige?

Also picked up some kids stackable containers.

Too big for 20mm though, nice for 28mm. No doors and holes in the top that need to be filled, so thinking about making 2 2doubles and 2 singles, painting them and selling them. Should be a nice test to see if there is some interest in them. I doubt it though.

Tomorrow more.

Johan

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 01:54:14 AM »
Didnt do squat on any of the WIP's on the table, instead started a new one (story of my life  :lol: ) and she should be finished tomorrow after I add somemmore dirt and floating and creeping weeds, and maybe a bullethole or 2 in the window. Not going to name her.

It's just something to have hanging around in the harbour. Something that has been there for ages.

Talking about ages, Matt, I started on the kid tonight. She makes a nifty ghost as well (I reposed her a bit)

Hmm 2:45. I think that means I should be in bed....let's just do that :)

Johan

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 03:28:36 AM »
That boat is officially awesome.  Would love to know the process of how you did it.  

Joey
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 06:33:43 AM »
All are very nice Wayswatcher (or should I call you "Gunbird"  :wink: ).

As soon as I saw the boat the lyrics ".. the weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed..." from the Gilligan's Island theme entered my brain.

Nice work all around. Inspiring!

-Todd

Offline Wallyocerous

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 04:55:58 PM »
What scale is that boat?  I love all the 1:3000 scale stuff I've seen of yours.  More!  More!   :wink:

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 05:38:37 PM »
Thx lads.

It's actually easier then it seems, as I usually start with an idea in my head and then try and find a mathcing pic on the internet. I just mix the pics into what I like and in the end the boat is perhaps 1 hour of work in actually paint, half of that waiting for inks to dry.

It's 20mm scaled, just like the rest of my current work, but I will be sidestepping to 1/300 and 1/3000 again very soon.

Johan

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 08:32:50 PM »
Just go keep this going, cause I have most certainly not stopped, working on my Volvo truck now, just did some freehand:

Happily brushing away now....

Johan

Offline Musketeer

• Scientist
    • Footsore Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 07:29:49 AM »
These look great. I really need to get a move on with my Zombie wars terrain and this has just inspired me. What colours  did you use for the rusty car and truck? :love:
Cheers

Bill

"I see lead people"

http://footsoreminiatures.co.uk/

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 12:15:51 PM »
Quote from: "Musketeer"
What colours  did you use for the rusty car and truck? :love:

Dont mention the rust.... :lipps:
http://forum.backofbeyond.de/viewtopic.php?t=2203
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 07:07:04 PM »
Oh, its ok, hence I didn't comment on that when I was rushing past my emails this morning before work.

I do think giving you this link is more helpfull though:
http://forum.backofbeyond.de/viewtopic.php?t=2143

So far no comments anywhere about my freehand, guess its back to painting death and decay then.... I'm propably better at that anyway.

Johan

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 11:58:50 PM »
A table full of half and almost finished stuff now...better get out the whip and finish a lot before starting new stuff......so just a teaser for tonite.

Johan

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 09:49:47 PM »
Nothing special, just another quick wreck.

Quick rustjob, some basic ash and a weatherd half melted bit of plastic. Not entirely correct but meh, it breaks the monotenous orange blobbyness.......next!

Johan