Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:21:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Review: My Monolith loot (pic heavy)  (Read 7921 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Review: My Monolith loot (pic heavy)
« on: July 17, 2010, 12:06:43 PM »
As I have recently posted I got a large order from Monolith and since the items are rather nice and interesting I think a review may be of general interest. As I said, it was a large order ( I wanted the 'free' bait) so bear with me:

Mud Brick Buildings:

The main reason I put in the order was to get these. They are quite multi purpose and will work for many, many regions and time periods. I will use them for NWF.

Most of the houses come with detachable roofs and the one below with the option of a domed or flat roof.

They are cast in a very pleasing gray, slightly grainy resin. I wonder if it is polystone?

I have tried placing them in various configuration and it is quite easy to create a intriguing little town various levels and alleys á la Marrakesh.

This walled garden and house is particularly nice. Egyptian in design, I think, but with a custom built roof I think I can make it look very Chinese, if I need to.

Egyptian stuff

These statues are a little to squat, I think, if I am to be picky. It is easy to be spoiled as all the rest is of such high quality sculpting. They will do for the museum I hope to do. If not I will pass them on.

The reliefs below, on the other hand, are just the dogs bollocks. The are supposed to be wall mounted but I placed them against a copy of Fyodor Dostoyevsky 'The Brothers Karamazov'. (If you don't have it, get it. It is an invaluable tool for wargamers. It's got that heft, weight and size which is just what you need to weight down with, support against, elevate with. Plus, sitting in the book shelf it makes you look a proper intellectual).

These bird and cattle plaques are so nice I am tempted to have them on permanent display in the library.

Chtulu

Monolith has a very nice little section of Lovecraftian stuff. When I get to build a museeum I am really looking  forward to making a Hyborean/Atlantean section with a locked vault for the Elder Gods

The sculpt below contains a few more parts which I could not be bothered to put in place for the photo session. Groveling cultist/worshipers kind of things...

Celtic Varia

I thought Susanne Clarke's 'Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel' was a very enjoyable read and I hope to one day make something with elves and Nappies one day. So for this purpose I got these Oberon and Titania shrines. This Titania looks quite different from Kev White's version and more like she in between farts and chocolates is thinking that 'tomorrow I'll join Oprah's pilates club'

I am not sure why I got these. Perhaps for the DoNKCoM?

The obelisks below are rather fantasy than historical. Affected dwarf art, I suppose. If I ever get back to painting LotR agian I may use them.

The items below, not exactly Celtic, more like 'Ancient' are probably my favorites. A mixed bag of fetishes, lares, steles and waht have you... They ask me "Please make a museum for us!"

Modern

Some architectorial stuff, Art Deco Atlas pillars...

...and two proud stone lions sejant for an entrance.

Archeological digs

I had no real idea what to use these for but thought  they were funny. I will probably just plonk them down on any old game board just to add a bit of interest.

Cave man and mayan plaque

Angel and devil

Greek Temple

This is the reason I made such a large order. With any order for more than £100 you get this multi piece temple. And it is BIG. And nice.

Soome pieces have rather nice marbles which have not been scavenged by early 19th century British tourists for the British Museum

That's it.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:08:34 PM by Hammers »

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
Re: Review: My Monolith loot (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 12:25:35 PM »
Great, Hammers!
Thank you for sharing. Been considering stuff from Monolith in a while now, but got dishearted by some stuff.

Just a note, the walled in garden can be found all the way from Morocco to Egypt. *Waves with an ethnical finger*

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 12:30:36 PM »
Great, Hammers!
Thank you for sharing. Been considering stuff from Monolith in a while now, but got dishearted by some stuff.

Just a note, the walled in garden can be found all the way from Morocco to Egypt. *Waves with an ethnical finger*

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Mr. 'I'veBeenSoIKnow'. I happen to be interested in just the Turkmen/Chenese aspect of it. ;)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 12:38:28 PM »
The major question;
Is it safe to order from Monolith again? :)

I want the temple, perfect for SBH and all other fantasy skirmishes :)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 12:58:50 PM »
Great pieces, and nice to see some detail shots of their stuff. That free temple is a proper beauty!  :-*

If only I had £100 to spare...

Offline RJ

• Scientist
    • http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 01:00:42 PM »
Great stuff.

I have recently ordered from Monolith and was very pleased with the service and correspondence.

I understand that there is a bad vibe in the community regarding Monoliths service but i can only say from my own experience it is excellent and the quality of products is top notch. Not to mention one or two freebies i had in the parcel that i wasnt expecting!
Check out my blog here:

http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/

Accepting painting comissions

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 01:05:02 PM »
Its the shipping that scares me off, to be frank.
Its 30% for oversea orders. So if you want the Greek temple (of course you do!), you'll end up paying 30 quid just for shipping. That's a bit on the farside IMHO, and about 15 quid to much (I rather spend money on miniatures than shipping).

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 01:06:52 PM »
I've wanted to order from Monolith for some time, and these pictures are making me even more keen, however I've heard mixed reviews about their service so I've always been a bit put off.
Those do look absolutely lovely tho! Might have to have a rethink.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 05:52:09 PM »
I understand that there is a bad vibe in the community regarding Monoliths service .

I wouldn't say that. I've had a very long ordering process with them but I am not sure I get the impression everyone's experience is the  same.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 05:57:03 PM »
OK, its been a while since I last ordered, but dealing with Jim and Steve has been a simple and very enjoyable affair.  I think bad publicity tends to stick around, where we are not as quick to praise.

This is quite an order - I look forward to seeing it painted.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 06:00:13 PM »
Its the shipping that scares me off, to be frank.
Its 30% for oversea orders. So if you want the Greek temple (of course you do!), you'll end up paying 30 quid just for shipping. That's a bit on the farside IMHO, and about 15 quid to much (I rather spend money on miniatures than shipping).

I think you should give them a jingle and talk to them about the shipping options. I had a mail exchange with Steve Moussared about it.

Offline RJ

• Scientist
    • http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 06:03:48 PM »
I wouldn't say that. I've had a very long ordering process with them but I am not sure I get the impression everyone's experience is the  same.

I say the bad vibe because of some of the research i did on TMP before ordering. There are some unhappy people out there but as dampfpanzerwagon says, this may have been some time ago.

But as i said, personally i have had excellent correspondence and service and love their products. I will be ordering again.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 06:05:19 PM »
Great pieces, and nice to see some detail shots of their stuff.

I think the quality of Jim Bowens sculpting, especially as seen in these two items whot I forgot make Monolith worth a plug despite that I am rather dissatisfied with the order handling time:

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 06:33:47 PM »
I love the Monolith stuff! They're obviously still shipping then.

Can't wait to see it all painted.
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 07:09:55 PM »
Damnit Hammers, you managed to talk me over to the dark side... *Prepares an order for 100 quid for that snazzy temple*