Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:37:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Any Submarine naval wargames???!!!  (Read 8850 times)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
Any Submarine naval wargames???!!!
« on: July 18, 2010, 12:55:46 PM »
-text removed-
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 04:35:14 AM by Fjodin »

Offline Trencher

• Scientist
Re: Any Submarine naval wargames???!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:27:53 PM »
Do you want a full-hull submarine? Or partially submerged?

Take a look at WTJ's Eylau Sequence:

http://www.wtj.com/store/

Well, although it's not labeled as a "submarine naval" game, at least a few of these miniatures might work as a kind of SciFi submarines. My favourite is the AU6 Ixwa. It looks like a tropical fish.

Or how about these?

TANK POLO? God, how our gardener hated that game!

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 02:08:42 PM »
Thanx for replying and links! The best option is full hull sci-fi submarines fighght each other and sea monsters on different landskapes (plan seabed, seabed with mountains, submerged cities), so it will be good if it will be some terrain rules. I know I can try to modify starmada or aerones, but there is nothing about ordinary ships and submerged vessels in there. Maybe when Aquanef will be released, I can create stats for sci-fi subs?

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 02:28:36 PM »
Have you seen the Schild en Vriend club's of Leuven AquaZone rule set? It's an adaption of the spaceship game Full Thrust.

http://www.nirya.be/snv/AQUAZONE/aquap.html

The bottom of the page has a link to a game of Stingray (Supermarionation...)

http://www.salute.co.uk/salutegames/stingray/graphics/index.htm

If anyone has info on 'Depth Factor', *I* want to know... ;->=

I'm assuming you aren't interested in something 'modern' like subs in Harpoon.

Doug
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 02:36:18 PM by The_Beast »

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 09:53:17 PM »
Fjodin -

I've often thought of doing this myself. I saw an interesting game at my first Historicon. The guy had submarines and everything in the water on telescoping flight stands, with the "Surface ships" permanently stuck on the top level.

There was another fellow who used to run a regular game at the HMGS-E cons called "Go In And Sink", which was essentially a VSF naval game, including submarine elements. I'm told he did at least one submarine game. Unfortunately, he hasn't run it for a while, and I haven't had luck acquiring a copy of the rules.

There iss a set of rules, done up by a group of guys in Belgium called "Beneath the Waves". Essentially a VSF submarine game. The game is run with the submarines on flight stands, same concept as above. Looks promising, although I recall waiting for them to post a section they'd promised to their website about submarine construction and design, which I'm not sure they ever did.

I still have the files for "Beneath The Waves" on a memory stick somewhere if you're interested, I think.

I'm hoping Aquanef is a little "meatier" with details and rules than Aeronef. Nothing complex, just prefer a slightly more detailed game, when it comes to that sort of thing.

-Alex

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 10:12:48 PM »
There was a Tirpitz game a couple of years ago featuring the mini sub attacks.

Probably easiest thing to do is email South London Warlords or the Naval Wargames Society.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barryslemmings/2426086651/
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 12:50:08 AM »
The_Beast's cursed nimble fingers beat me to my reply! I have played those rules and they are pretty good. We played a game where we had to destroy a huge jellyfish Kaiju (Japanese monster on the size with Godzilla). It was a blast!

I'm still eagerly awaiting the Aquanef rules also.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 10:29:25 AM »
Raz and Malebolgia once made a game called SubWars, I've put the document online here:

http://members.multimania.nl/Pil3/Sub_Wars_1.1.doc

There were no miniatures for it, I believe they converted PPP Mech Warrior tanks and infantry and such.
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 12:30:11 PM »
2 The_Beast
These rules looks interesting :) By the way I like the pics from these sites

2 Doc Twilight
It will be interesting to have a look at Beneath the Waves rules

2 Pil
Thanx for .doc!

By the way is there are any sub minis wich are resembles "Blue submarine #6" and "Submarine Titans" designs?This is possible to convert some starships into sci-fi subs.

Offline Snate56

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 08:06:16 PM »
Oh Man!!!!! NOT another whole terrain environment to build!... o_o >:( :o

SteveN

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 09:01:07 PM »
By the way is there are any sub minis wich are resembles "Blue submarine #6" and "Submarine Titans" designs?This is possible to convert some starships into sci-fi subs.

I'd forgotten about the Stingray game.

Yes there were miniatures available - there was a diecast Stingray vs Titan Terrorfish (made by Corgi ?) a few years ago.
You still find them occasionally in UK charity shops, car boot sales etc, but I guess you'd have to look to ebay.
You only need a couple of Stingrays for the game, but the Titans need to outnumber them 3 or 4-1.
We solved that locally by buying 3 diecasts and then making extra Titans out of Fimo clay. Not as attractive, but better than nothing.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
Quote from: Snate56 link=topic=208I love the ideas, and am pleased fo dind more!42.msg255093#msg255093 date=1279566376
Oh Man!!!!! NOT another whole terrain environment to build!... o_o >:( :o

SteveN

You'll notice *I* didn't post the piccies; I tried to spare the terrain monkeys, but Fjodin had to draw you in...    :D

@Fjodin THANK YOU for this thread! Obviously I love the ideas, and am delighted to see more rulesets I've not heard of before.

Course, speaking of VSF, I had an idea for a Capt. Nemo adventure using old Mage Knight Deep Ones attacking a group of submariners (again some Mage Knight figure, but I forget which golem) as the men approach the underside of a warship upon which the intention is to affix an explosive charge. I thought I'd use an acrylic light defuser panel to be the surface of the water above the head of the players, with a ship hull attached to the underside. Boulders on the bottom, perhaps one side of the table with a carved house insulation slope for caves for the indigenous.

Always thought it could look quite spiffy as game terrain...

Oh, sorry, SteveN.  lol

Doug

Offline Criamon

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 06:44:14 PM »
Thanks for the info! I think to make a new project...................  ;D

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 05:36:28 PM »
Always interested in submarines and i'd not seen "Sub Wars" before. Got to get around to making some "Manta Subs" out of soap dispenser tops, plasti-card and sprue...

Loking forward to seeing Aquazone too!

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 03:55:21 PM »
I must say i would love a simple set of sub rules for the far future, i would like it simple, no big charts or hunderds of damage points like full thrust..

With terrrain, monsters and big subs with smaller fighters, i do think it be a fun set of rules, stalking the enemy, pinging to be able to fire etc...

I put my mind to it

Any sub films i can look at..?